Spring Barley - General Thread

I think the key here is the slightly low P index ??? Needs the P to get started so having the fertilizer available in advance is key. [MENTION=2524]CORK[/MENTION] mentioned that in an earlier post

This is why I put the 10.10.20 in the seedbed of the land where I think we have P lockup. Certain areas suffer from P deficiency every year, it takes them a while to come around when the P on the surface eventually washes in.

This early suffering by the plant causes poor tillering.

It also is lessened when the soil warms up and the P becomes more available.

This year, the fert was spread on the pressed land and had dissolved before planting.
Of course I didn't skip a bit to see if theres a difference :rolleyes:

I conducted a simple trial this year.. - when sowing the second last field which of course faces the road on a hill for an eve better view - left a 3 meter stripe about 20 yards with no seed - purely for trial purposes of course to see what weeds would grow in the unsown strip!

Why does it never happen in a field out of sight of the main road! Fortunately was in short ground.

I conducted a simple trial this year.. - when sowing the second last field which of course faces the road on a hill for an eve better view - left a 3 meter stripe about 20 yards with no seed - purely for trial purposes of course to see what weeds would grow in the unsown strip!

Why does it never happen in a field out of sight of the main road! Fortunately was in short ground.

We call those the new International Airport runways :lol:

Last edited:

Ive seen the exact same thing happen on some very steep ground on the Killarney road out of Cork. Seriously steep field where I guess the seed in the bottom of the hopper can get tricky when it gets low.

A very public location!!!

Sorta hurts your pride when you have misses like that in a field. Bad enough having people tell you you have not sowed a field straight.

Years ago when my father took a field he had a 3 meter Fiona drill, we were on 12 meter trams at the time so they used to set the first run by the ditch and then overlap half the first run again to set up the trams right, they used block off half the drill for the second run, it was spring oats, my mother arrived to the field in a panic as a cow was calving so the workman got off the plough and went setting, never opened the shutters to let the seed out on the full 3 meters and set the field, when the field came up it was blank every 3 meters, he had to set every second run then, it was the talk of the Parrish. How they Didint cop the seed rate being all out is beyond me tho.

I've got 2 50KG bags of Propino left over if anyone has any use for them. A wet spot on a headland or the like :D

We used draw beet for a man that also grew a bit of winter cereals, kept a few sheep aswell. He set corn with some kind of a one pass that he cobbled together himself but when it came up there was lengths of the field missing all over the place so he drilled them in and let the sheep into it for a week:lol:

Ive seen the exact same thing happen on some very steep ground on the Killarney road out of Cork. Seriously steep field where I guess the seed in the bottom of the hopper can get tricky when it gets low.

A very public location!!!
Box type drills are said to be famous for that on hills.

Happened me 30 acre field using home saved seed blocked one distribution head on the lemken filling seed from.a trailer In bulk hadn't a clue was my first time sowing too I think or second day maybe.sowed 14 acres and only noticed when it got up was on the south slob so no one seen it lucky me.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

It must have being I didn't turn on pto for that run. Curious what do others do - do you stop pto on each run or just slow down revs. I really needed to lift drill full height so it wouldn't throw out seed on headlands and so I started to turn on and off pto at headlands

Sowed two weeks yesterday , got 3 bags 10 7 28 ( grainmaster) in seedbed , got 2 bags asn last wens . Taberna on left at 12 stone ( home saved) mickle on right at 10.5 stone . Might be hard to see in pic .ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399206383.158847.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399206383.158847.jpg

Looking nice laoisfarmer. I sat the propino at 11.5 stone based on the tgw. Reckon I got 100% establishment, looks a bit too thick. I must do a plant count.

Did a quick count it's looking like 400 plants , this is the first year we have pushed up seeding rates , used to always way below everyone so let's see how it goes comes harvest time .

I suppose this has become the default spring barley thread[emoji3]

Mickle sowed on Spy Wednesday at 11.2st/ac. 1t of lime to the acre the day before.

3 bags of 10-10-20 to the acre then and has got another 3 bags of Sulfa CAN yesterday.

This field had green cover hence why I reckon it looks well.uploadfromtaptalk1399227970808.jpg

300-350 established was my plan. I will have a count tomorrow and see can I put up a few pics.

Yea I aimed for about 350 but would be happy with 300. Did a quick count one morning and it's looking very close to 350. Sowed at 11.5 stone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick pic of the spring barley variety plots. Got an aphicide on Friday.

Aiming for 350 plants, haven't done a plant count yet.

Attachments

• SB.jpg
    SB.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 45
Here's a couple of pics of a new spring wheat which we are developing. Its called Doubleshot.

One characteristic of it is high tillering (not something common in spring wheat).

It has higher yield and grain quality than anything currently on the market. Its straw isn't tall but would need a little more minding than Sparrow. Probably because it grows so thickly.

Sown 27th March, went though a tough time with rain after sowing.

Its getting going now.

Attachments

• Doubleshot.jpg
    Doubleshot.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Doubleshot (2).jpg
    Doubleshot (2).jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 36
Taken on Friday after a wee drink....the barley, not me :001_smile:.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 33
Here's a couple of pics of a new spring wheat which we are developing. Its called Doubleshot.

One characteristic of it is high tillering (not something common in spring wheat).

It has higher yield and grain quality than anything currently on the market. Its straw isn't tall but would need a little more minding than Sparrow. Probably because it grows so thickly.

Its getting going now.

That looks very good for spring wheat , hopeful things ahead .....

Its getting going now.

We could be all watching that spring wheat if the winter wheat wont do the business this year.

We could be all watching that spring wheat if the winter wheat wont do the business this year.

I'm thinking the same thing myself to be honest. We have another one running in parallel to it called Quintus - apparently really good on Fusarium.

Both had huge yield advantage (12-17% over Sparrow/Trappe) in the 2012 harvest.....

Back