Spring Barley - General Thread

No, apparently it gust couldn’t be kept going. Keeping the tines on it was a major problem they even resorted to welding them on in the end.
We used have that problem with our one and the last time I was changing the tines I turned it over and got a fitter out with an inch drive air gun to squeeze them all.
They didn't loosen since

Except for the last of them, I think they were called Corvex or something like that. We had one and it was a disaster, all the ones before that were great. Is Rabe gone all together now?
The new owner is supposed to have Rabe back up and running again.

Was the Dowdeswell power harrow not based on a Howard. Seem to recall Dowdeswell bought Howard and rebranded their side along muck spreaders and a few other implements.

Was the Dowdeswell power harrow not based on a Howard. Seem to recall Dowdeswell bought Howard and rebranded their side along muck spreaders and a few other implements.
We had a few dowdswell rotovators back in the 90’s. You could still buy a howard rotovator up until maybe 12 years ago. I dont know if you still can.

Got our Prospect sown between Saturday and today, today was a weird day, sun, snow a little hint of rain and dust bowls that you could hardly see where you were going! Hopefully it’ll all come through ok now. Was a bit unimpressed by the look of one half ton bag of seed, an awful lot of split/empty grains and a lot of dark looking grains in it, noticeably redder seed dressing than the other bags too, looked like the sweepings of the floor tbh 😠

Got sowing again today, have no compound left so it will all be going out on top of sowed ground tomorrow, have another bit to sow tomorrow right beside what was done today as it wasn’t fit today, will see if there’s much difference in tilling the fert in and applying on top

Attachments

• 4BF8D2CF-2D6A-4C11-AB10-6D1A40ED3CBB.jpeg
    4BF8D2CF-2D6A-4C11-AB10-6D1A40ED3CBB.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 99
  • D7DDD2CB-0248-4FD5-BE16-88CDD3E15C2C.png
    D7DDD2CB-0248-4FD5-BE16-88CDD3E15C2C.png
    786.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 0A5C5F40-CFD9-4183-9220-5CA5944AEA3D.png
    0A5C5F40-CFD9-4183-9220-5CA5944AEA3D.png
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 99
View attachment 89939
Last block of land getting tilled up ready for planting tomorrow. Planet for malting. Ground all got disked after harvest and cover crop. Glyphosate about 7 weeks ago and one run of this lad and sow away with the one pass.
Where does min till fit into your system? Is it certain slots in the rotation, certain blocks of land or across the board?

Where does min till fit into your system? Is it certain slots in the rotation, certain blocks of land or across the board?
We find certain blocks of land are more suited to min till.
We plough a share of land too because it gets us sowing earlier. Min till ground needs more time to soak and we couldn't be waiting for that. We direct drill all the beans so fields get a break from ploughing at least 1 in 5 years.
This block is the furthest away from us and it slow to dry out and is usually last to get sown.
We have no hard and fast rule to work by. We work with what we got. If it's a plough job, we do that. If we think min till will work we do that. We're learning as we go along. Trying to get more organic matter into the mix too.

Last edited:
No, apparently it gust couldn’t be kept going. Keeping the tines on it was a major problem they even resorted to welding them on in the end.
youd say things could never be that bad in a place surely.
Youd be after packing d whole thing up long before you d resort to welding on tines 🤣

Big fields are boring. We sow a 5 acre field with 9 corners and 3 poles in it. Sprayer loves it. Had a 22 acre field with 23 corners and 2 poles in it. Sowing beet in it and the father backing the seeder into the corners sayin he wasn’t leasing land to leave corners idle. We’d have to pull them by hand. Biggest we had was 120 acre field. Remember been set up on the ford 4000 and a Massey Ferguson stubble grub to rip up 60 acres of beet ground there in February . 1 light. On the front and a flash lamp to keep an eye on the springs. Went to open a set down the field in the dark and ended up on the same headland. Plough man said I grubbed about half of it.

Went to open a set down the field in the dark and ended up on the same headland. Plough man said I grubbed about half of it.
That is the funniest thing I've read in ages. I can see how it would happen.
Given big fields are boring but some small ones are a pain in the hole.
We've a narrow one. Exactly 1 hectare and 2 ESB poles in it. One run around the headland with the sprayer will cover the full field.

Back