Spring Barley - General Thread

Wasn’t expecting that for another fortnight, what height is the crop now?

Just happened to be looking back through some old photos here on the phone and spotted ones from this day last year when awns were out. So not a big surprise.

When was it sown gone?

Just happened to be looking back through some old photos here on the phone and spotted ones from this day last year when awns were out. So not a big surprise.

When was it sown gone?
Crops were a bit taller last year at this stage though, were they?

When was it sown gone?
March 23th.
Spring barley trys it's best to shoot out during the first week of June, because of the day length, no matter what has happened to it weather wise.

Crops were a bit taller last year at this stage though, were they?

A lot taller, I looked through some more of the photos and they are about 2 weeks behind this year compared to last.
It’s amazing how even in the next county the difference the weather can make. This time last year everything around here was miserable, shooting out at only a few inches high, until the weather broke and then crops stretched a bit but too late for winter crops. Whereas this year is the complete opposite, crops are almost too tall for comfort. It shows, no matter what fertiliser or chemicals or fancy machinery if the weather doesn't play ball your at nothing.

Barley looking well, spotless. Still have one disappointing crop.

Attachments

• DSC_0440.JPG
    DSC_0440.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0439.JPG
    DSC_0439.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0438.JPG
    DSC_0438.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0428.JPG
    DSC_0428.JPG
    360.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0420.JPG
    DSC_0420.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0419.JPG
    DSC_0419.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0433.JPG
    DSC_0433.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 43
Have seen fields of SB today shot out. Bit early I thought. My Gangway being a late variety has nothing showing yet.

Going to pick up spray today to do the flag leaf. Might get to it next Monday or Tues ground you would scarcely travel it at the moment

Back