Spring Barley - General Thread

Last Wednesday I had a fellow from the Department call into the yard and take a few samples of grain away to be tested. I asked him what it was going to be tested for and he said he wasn’t sure but probably pesticides. Any one else have them in?

Last Wednesday I had a fellow from the Department call into the yard and take a few samples of grain away to be tested. I asked him what it was going to be tested for and he said he wasn’t sure but probably pesticides. Any one else have them in?
I’ve never heard of them doing that before, can they actually do that?

I’ve never heard of them doing that before, can they actually do that?
Well they did it here, it crossed my mind what would they do if I refused to let them take the samples. I thought it was a bit slack that he couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me exactly what it was going to be tested for.

Well they did it here, it crossed my mind what would they do if I refused to let them take the samples. I thought it was a bit slack that he couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me exactly what it was going to be tested for.
Round up maybe? Think it abit slack if they can't say what the sample is going to be tested for.

I heard lately that Dairygold had a whole bin of malting barley rejected this past year because some type of PGR was found in it.

Dioxins in the grain from burning dodgy fuels in the dryer would be my guess
Would say so. They took samples from us before for this. It's a good few years ago now though around the time of the pigmeat scandal.
One of the department lads told me at the time that it is seen as an inspection so you were less likely to be flagged up for any other department inspections.

Is he going to tell you what he found. With the Dioxin they split the sample and give you half in a tagged bag . Did he leave a sample??

Yes he split the samples and gave me them. I told him I wanted the results of any tests that they did but he didn’t know if that would be possible or not. I certainly hope they find nothing in it.

Does it really leave residues like that? I'm surprised to hear that for any sprays applied at the right timing.

Better give up chewing barley to test the moisture!
Apparently it can be detected alright. It's banned and shouldn't be around even in microscopic quantities.

Does it really leave residues like that? I'm surprised to hear that for any sprays applied at the right timing.

Better give up chewing barley to test the moisture!
If the mushy lads are able to detect certain sprays in the straw surely it’s possible that they could detect it in the grains too?

the boys across the water may have issues too ,taken from another forum
CTL can be detected on grain down to quite low levels as our wheat is tested for it and the contract we grow it under doesn't allow us to use CTL in our fungicide program. That said that only shows whether it is present or not, not the date it was applied. The test costs quite a lot of money as well I believe so I doubt they are going to start testing wheat in every grainstore this harvest. I would imagine the only problem that might arise is if you still have cans of CTL in the chem store when the Red Tractor inspector comes round.

the boys across the water may have issues too ,taken from another forum
CTL can be detected on grain down to quite low levels as our wheat is tested for it and the contract we grow it under doesn't allow us to use CTL in our fungicide program. That said that only shows whether it is present or not, not the date it was applied. The test costs quite a lot of money as well I believe so I doubt they are going to start testing wheat in every grainstore this harvest. I would imagine the only problem that might arise is if you still have cans of CTL in the chem store when the Red Tractor inspector comes round.
I would think that if ctl is detected in the grain a person would be in trouble regardless because it might not know the exact date of application but seeing as it was banned before the growing season started it would be obvious that it was applied since then.

Reactions: Paw
Back