Spring Barley - General Thread

Must be a lot more barley not cut than I realised. A man rang me this morning with spring barley to cut, it’s very dirty with chick weed but is burned off 3 weeks, will it be hard put through the combine ?
If it’s dry it should be ok. When green it can cause problems. I had to cut some this year for a man. Tried keeping up as much as possible. But a certain amount goes in. Had to keep my returns cleaned out half way trough the day and then when finished the day. Keep an eye on your seives. If it’s bad I have seen it starting to block there. Also I find it leaves a layer on the grain loss pad snd then it doesn’t sense the grain going out so doesn’t register in the cab

If it’s dry it should be ok. When green it can cause problems. I had to cut some this year for a man. Tried keeping up as much as possible. But a certain amount goes in. Had to keep my returns cleaned out half way trough the day and then when finished the day. Keep an eye on your seives. If it’s bad I have seen it starting to block there. Also I find it leaves a layer on the grain loss pad snd then it doesn’t sense the grain going out so doesn’t register in the cab
My grain loss monitor pads are sitting at the back of the machinery shed, tried getting them to work many a time but no joy. Try to reduce returns as much as possible so ?

Only finished myself this wend. There’s a Vad rapid 3m in Cooney furlongs. Staggered wheels.
Anyone know anything about it?.

Only finished myself this wend. There’s a Vad rapid 3m in Cooney furlongs. Staggered wheels.
Anyone know anything about it?.
Vaddy rapid is my choice of drill for ideal sowing conditions, but needs to be parked during wet times and from Oct 15th to March 15th most years.
In my opinion you need a 2nd way to drill if too wet.
Being a box drill you need to have approx 30kg of spare seed when finishing, not a big issue if not chopping between crops and varieties, but a very expensive pain in white label seed crops.

Big prizes to be won back then.

View attachment 100501
Mark Gregg was our neighbor until about 1970 when he had to sell the farm for some reason. It was always rumoured that something underhand had happened forcing him to sell . We used to meet him when we walked across the fields to school . It was a traditional farm with ricks of hay thatched in the field with a hay knife being used to cut benches of hay when feeding out . Turnips being grown to feed sheep and lovely meadows with wildflowers that would warm an environmentalists heart . We used to tie knots in the grass tracks to trip up the girls . Barley stubbles were torn up and thrown at opposing gangs . Sometimes it was Castletown and Graiguenaspideog against Moyle but alliances could change and your own side could turn traitor and you would end up running away amidst a hail of stubbles and clay .
Mark went and worked for Matt Clearey in the shop . He was a gentleman and always enquired for news of the area
He was the subject of a Court Case that is studied by most people doing a law degree . The jist of it was that a relative was not fit to make a will leaving him the farm and an aunt was trying to steer the farm her direction .

Mark Gregg was our neighbor until about 1970 when he had to sell the farm for some reason. It was always rumoured that something underhand had happened forcing him to sell . We used to meet him when we walked across the fields to school . It was a traditional farm with ricks of hay thatched in the field with a hay knife being used to cut benches of hay when feeding out . Turnips being grown to feed sheep and lovely meadows with wildflowers that would warm an environmentalists heart . We used to tie knots in the grass tracks to trip up the girls . Barley stubbles were torn up and thrown at opposing gangs . Sometimes it was Castletown and Graiguenaspideog against Moyle but alliances could change and your own side could turn traitor and you would end up running away amidst a hail of stubbles and clay .
Mark went and worked for Matt Clearey in the shop . He was a gentleman and always enquired for news of the area
He was the subject of a Court Case that is studied by most people doing a law degree . The jist of it was that a relative was not fit to make a will leaving him the farm and an aunt was trying to steer the farm her direction .

Great to hear the history. I didn’t recognise the surname at all and even had to google the towns land to see where it was.

Great to hear the history. I didn’t recognise the surname at all and even had to google the towns land to see where it was.
The contested land was in Tinryland and Colliers and Wards own it now. The motorway went right through the middle of it. Garyhunden is at the back of Morrissey Clonmelsh plant. A neighbor was studying law and thought the name was familiar and was astounded to realize that such a humble man had his rights protected by the highest court in the land and the judgement became a pivotal piece of case law .

Just want to pick yer brains, according to the sludge crowd there is 14 available units of P in a tonne of this sludge so there should be more than enough available P for a crop of spring barley from the application, but because it’s burried at 6 inches in theory would the plants be able get the roots down to it and survive off soil reserves. I’m thinking of a zero compound approach to spring barley and one bag of K and one bag of SULCAN and rely on sludge and good indices for the rest, or would I be better off going with a bag of 10-10-20 and half a bag of K and maybe a bag of sulcan. I suppose could always experiment with both

Just want to pick yer brains, according to the sludge crowd there is 14 available units of P in a tonne of this sludge so there should be more than enough available P for a crop of spring barley from the application, but because it’s burried at 6 inches in theory would the plants be able get the roots down to it and survive off soil reserves. I’m thinking of a zero compound approach to spring barley and one bag of K and one bag of SULCAN and rely on sludge and good indices for the rest, or would I be better off going with a bag of 10-10-20 and half a bag of K and maybe a bag of sulcan. I suppose could always experiment with both
If the weather is good and the spring barley gets NO set back it would be fine on high index 2 P soil or above, but ANY set back and you will lose yield. I will never sow spring barley with some DAP, (the P in 10/10/20) it is a cheap insurance policy that pays very well 1 in every 3 years and never is money wasted.
Can the sludge be incorporated before ploughing, so it would not be 6" deep? I still would use some 10/10/20 or 18/6/12 in my case.

i pumped onto the furrows here last year
certainly didnt harm the job
only gripe i got with sludge and sewage is everything else in it
female hormones ,microplastics, heavy metals etc

ya true enough there can be issues that way but Iv talked to a lot of people that use it now and they reckon once you don't over do it there are no issues. I would't even consider it only for the price of chemical fert, I think I should be able to establish a crop of spring barley very cheap using this method this year. I am also now getting the ploughing done for me also which is a nice touch. I will try it this year anyway and see how it goes. The plan is now to go with one bag of 10-10-20, one bag of 50% K and one bag of SulfaCAN.

If the weather is good and the spring barley gets NO set back it would be fine on high index 2 P soil or above, but ANY set back and you will lose yield. I will never sow spring barley with some DAP, (the P in 10/10/20) it is a cheap insurance policy that pays very well 1 in every 3 years and never is money wasted.
Can the sludge be incorporated before ploughing, so it would not be 6" deep? I still would use some 10/10/20 or 18/6/12 in my case.
I started today spreading about 5000 gallons acre of good thick cowslurry on stubbles destined for either spring barley or maybe beans??
Would i be safe enough taking a p + k holiday or should i still apply some compound as a precaution .
Heavy clay soil so wont get drilled before end of March .

I started today spreading about 5000 gallons acre of good thick cowslurry on stubbles destined for either spring barley or maybe beans??
Would i be safe enough taking a p + k holiday or should i still apply some compound as a precaution .
You ploughing it down?

For Beans definitely no need for more P&K if your soil tests show OK or even middling indexes.
But I find spring barley still benefits from a small amount of DAP type Phosphorous, (like 10-10-20 or 18-6-12 etc) as close to seed as possible.

I am going to spread FYM before ploughing for spring barley, on light soil with average P&K indexes and while I think it supply enough P&K, I don't think it will be available enough to the young spring barley plants, so I will be spreading 250kg/ha (2 bags/acre) of 18-6-12+S before sowing. If I had a combine sower available I would cut that to 125kg/ha (1 bag/acre), because it would be placed properly.

Back