Spring Barley

Trials ground should be in good order for ploughing at the end of the week. Heavier ground could do with 3 weeks.

ive waited so long, I’ll wait a few more days.

Need some good spring crops as the winter cereal crops are very shook.

Didn’t use press when ploughing Rape ground for wheat as was trying to leave air at the soil. Two runs of pellets and bad weather since. I do not intend ploughing without press ever again. I had forgotten how important it is. Headlands are twice as good as the body of the fields.

No matter how much sledging and cutting required, I’ll have a press with the new plough. End of.

Trials ground should be in good order for ploughing at the end of the week. Heavier ground could do with 3 weeks.

ive waited so long, I’ll wait a few more days.

Need some good spring crops as the winter cereal crops are very shook.

Didn’t use press when ploughing Rape ground for wheat as was trying to leave air at the soil. Two runs of pellets and bad weather since. I do not intend ploughing without press ever again. I had forgotten how important it is. Headlands are twice as good as the body of the fields.

No matter how much sledging and cutting required, I’ll have a press with the new plough. End of.

Would you be of the opinion that a roller with paddles would be better after the plough than say a disc harrow (lemken) ? I ordered the seed today, phew just in time!

Hope to be planting next Tuesday or Wednesday all going well, the sun is ducking in and out all day so drying isn’t great. It’ll give me time to clean the windows of the tractor for the next photo...

You are hardly putting the ring roller on the Leyland :scared:

I'm hearing you on heavier/wetter ground Cork... Going to plough stony ground tomorrow. I'm surprised land is not Ploughing up tighter given the weather since September like in 2018.

You are hardly putting the ring roller on the Leyland :scared:

I'm hearing you on heavier/wetter ground Cork... Going to plough stony ground tomorrow. I'm surprised land is not Ploughing up tighter given the weather since September like in 2018.
No, I’m sparing all the horsepower for the drill, weather is to be good here for a week so it’ll be all go from now on. It’s surprising how much land will dry up in a few good days.

What are the downsides of direct drilling barley into sprayed off grass?

Field has been grass since forever, ploughed and re-seeded maybe 15+ years ago now.

Would wire worm be a big risk? Or no more than having ploughed?

Looking to put barley for wholecrop.
Father says plough is safer, but we have the drill, just need a big seed kit for it.
And once the weather improves I can't see us getting a plough or drill in for love nor money!

Going with gangway mostly, got 3 tonnes of Errigal to try out. It's supposed to be good.
I grew Errigal last year and it is a good variety. I'm going with all Gangway this year for simplicity as I don't want 2 different ripening times in the block of land I'm sowing the sb in. Pain in the arse enough taking a combine over to it once in the year.

I grew Errigal last year and it is a good variety. I'm going with all Gangway this year for simplicity as I don't want 2 different ripening times in the block of land I'm sowing the sb in. Pain in the arse enough taking a combine over to it once in the year.
Would you have noticed a difference in ripening times of them?

Nothing huge but I would say it's probably a week slower then Gangway. Errigal had the edge for straw volume however. Over a bale an acre extra vs Gangway. 12 bales vs 13.25 to be exact.
That’s a phenomenal straw yield, did you ever weigh a few bales to calculate straw yield per acre?
Unlikely the variety is to blame for the major straw yield extra, often it’s just the plant stand that accounts for it.

That’s a phenomenal straw yield, did you ever weigh a few bales to calculate straw yield per acre?
Unlikely the variety is to blame for the major straw yield extra, often it’s just the plant stand that accounts for it.
I've never weighed bales tbh but it's the same machine and man does all my baling here. The land around here seems to produce mountains of straw and keeping barley standing is a constant guessing game for me.

Back