Spring oats

The seed is here for it, if the weather takes up it’ll most likely go in…should be grand, it’ll be an Indian summer 😅
Are we allowed to even say that these days ? 🙄🤔

My seed is in the shed as well, so no going back now! Looking at the weather forecast, it seems that getting it into the ground in 2 weeks time would be a best case scenario. At what stage would it be too late to sow? mid May?

My seed is in the shed as well, so no going back now! Looking at the weather forecast, it seems that getting it into the ground in 2 weeks time would be a best case scenario. At what stage would it be too late to sow? mid May?
Yes, I think mid May would be too late.

You’d be surprised how quick a lot of land will dry out once the weather improves though.

I know that in organic oats, it’s particularly important that the crop hits the ground running so that it will out grow any weeds.

Is anyone still planning to sow spring oats given the fact that it’s mid April?
I have 4 acres that was in winter stuff and didn’t raise its head. Only just got away with spraying it off in the good few days Easter weekend. I’d like to get it ploughed and sown but no weather for that yet. Next week looking slightly more promising.

Whatever year Guns an Roses played Slane i sowed spring oats for a large sheep farmer who grew them for feed .
Sowed the day of the concert on a lovely day 16 of May i think ..
The job came via another man who couldnt do it as he was gone at silage .
Sowing into what can only be described as an excellent seedbed 3 bags of 10 10 20 down the spout and a bag of N spread straight behind the drill ..
The farm had been mostly tillage many years before and had a a good selection of old but well maintained gear except a drill for some strange reason .
The combine was a Volvo dating from the mid sixties the only time i have ever clapped eyes on one ..
After an excellent lunch and tea at four i was finished and overpaid by a perfect gentleman .
I wished him luck with the crop and departed to resume linseed ..
He cut the oats in Oct during a fine spell that came .
A very respectable yield of around two and three quarter tons acre with good kph so good in fact that he sold most of them to Glanbia or Avonmore as the were then .
The season is the season and you can only do what the weather permits
Mother Nature can somtimes compensate and make it up at the other end of the year .
But the man above didnt compromise on seedbed or conditions and as the year advances it will become most important ..
I could tell a tales about other years when late sowing most defnitely didnt pan out but sometimes late but well done beats rushed in and blown out .

I’ve a field that was grazed tight over the winter to clear a heavy coat of grass that should have gone for silage but the weather didn’t play ball. Job done and they skinned it. Though v short now the grass has greened up nicely and is in good order to spray.

I suppose it’s a no brainer to burn it off and wait the few days extra before setting the oats? It won’t be ready to plough until Thursday anyway as it’s gots few damp spots and is very poached in places.

I’d say feed
Are there merchants or coops such as the likes of tirlan or dairygold or grain merchants such as Liffeys or grennans etc buying organic grains to mill and sell again or is it farm to farm trading?
Dodgy game selling farm to farm as from what I see in the organic game is a lot of but not all lads who are now organic were lads who were a disaster when they were conventional and are even worse now that they are gone organic and I’ve a relation in that category.

As far as i know, Tirlan were looking at getting into buying organic oats for human consumption but I'm not sure what the position is with it currently

Are there merchants or coops such as the likes of tirlan or dairygold or grain merchants such as Liffeys or grennans etc buying organic grains to mill and sell again or is it farm to farm trading?
Dodgy game selling farm to farm as from what I see in the organic game is a lot of but not all lads who are now organic were lads who were a disaster when they were conventional and are even worse now that they are gone organic and I’ve a relation in that category.
We were producing organic seed oats but packed it up this year.
Very difficult to make good seed out of it the amount of trash in it is painful. It heats easily and that kills it.
We had organic seed that failed germination and had to sell it as feed. It was almost impossible to find a buyer and we lost money on it.
There are some very genuine organic farmers out there but there a plenty of messers too who will duck and dive in any way possible to avoid spending money on genuine organic seed.

Back