Spring oats

They are some seriously bold claims @CORK ! Looks very interesting,what's the parentage? Is that sown in Cork?

One of its parents is Husky, it’s actually in Co. Waterford. We’re only at the seed multiplication stage with the variety.

Reactions: KJL
What would peoples opinion be on final fungicide on Spring Oats? Corbel and Modem would have been my usual but thinking of going Elatus Era instead this year to see if it would help bushel weigh which can often be poor with me.

What would peoples opinion be on final fungicide on Spring Oats? Corbel and Modem would have been my usual but thinking of going Elatus Era instead this year to see if it would help bushel weigh which can often be poor with me.

Elatus isn’t cheap but I used it as first spray and it’s good. Will probably use Siltra as final spray.

Foliar K along with the final fungicide helps increase KPH.

Why would you say Modem for Bushel? Don’t think 2 SDHI is overkill- if crop is worth growing, it’s worth growing to its potential would be my opinion but I could be wrong....am open to and would appreciate all thoughts. Thanks.

I’m just thinking of cutting this sometime in September, the healthier the crop and less brackling the better.....:cry:
Do you think Siltra will significantly reduce the level of brackling over Jenton? Siltra is 150% of the price of Jenton which I would consider a fantastic head spray for oats.

Do you think Siltra will significantly reduce the level of brackling over Jenton? Siltra is 150% of the price of Jenton which I would consider a fantastic head spray for oats.

Honestly don’t know but I’m curious to try it out!

Why would you say Modem for Bushel? Don’t think 2 SDHI is overkill- if crop is worth growing, it’s worth growing to its potential would be my opinion but I could be wrong....am open to and would appreciate all thoughts. Thanks.
Agree with getting the most out of a crop but in my experience the margin over fungicide cost of 2 SDHIs on oats is not positive. Chemical companies have been mad to push SDHIs onto oats over the last few years and they're succeeding. Have seen countless 4 tonne + crops of winter and a few 4 tonne + crops of spring oats without any SDHIs. Oats are a simple crop on which old chemistry works just as well as new chemistry at a much lower cost imo.

Had no plan to, Teagasc didn’t get any convincing results on barley but perhaps oat kph might be different. K indices would be very high here.....
Very anecdotal stuff but a good few perennial oat growers up this way swear by it. Growers that would skip the herbicide if they thought they could get away without it but heaven forbid they'd leave out the foliar K.

Trying to see if I can juggle a few things on one block here. When would SO roughly Be harvested In a normal year say sown late March?

Back