Spring oil seed rape

I was hoping to let the oilseed ripen itself this year as it is early and have too much spent on it so far but the recent rain has brought out the branches that should have been out earlier but did not due to the heat and drought. Short pods, less of them, no branching until now and tiny seeds does not make for a good return.

Attachments

• DSC_0214.JPG
    DSC_0214.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0213.JPG
    DSC_0213.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0212.JPG
    DSC_0212.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 36
I was hoping to let the oilseed ripen itself this year as it is early and have too much spent on it so far but the recent rain has brought out the branches that should have been out earlier but did not due to the heat and drought. Short pods, less of them, no branching until now and tiny seeds does not make for a good return.
Just sprayed the second half of a field for an neighbour, very variable and poor.

Just sprayed the second half of a field for an neighbour, very variable and poor.
It's sad to say that you can almost walk anywhere in the crop with little difficulty at this time of year. As a matter of interest what did you spray with?

It's sad to say that you can almost walk anywhere in the crop with little difficulty at this time of year. As a matter of interest what did you spray with?
The field is split in 2 late and later sown, the first 6Ha was sprayed nearly 10 days ago with generic Glyphosate and Iskra? pod seal, the latter 4Ha was with Round-up Max and Iskra.

The field is split in 2 late and later sown, the first 6Ha was sprayed nearly 10 days ago with generic Glyphosate and Iskra? pod seal, the latter 4Ha was with Round-up Max and Iskra.
It should have been sprayed earlier but last week was not suitable for spraying and I harvest the previous week. The pods are almost ready for harvest. It should be ready a little sooner than using Round Up, I could be wrong.

@CORK
What conventional varieties of SOSR are available this year?
Have gotten on OK with hybrids but it rules out swatching and the low seed rate means any early set back can be devastating.

@CORK
What conventional varieties of SOSR are available this year?
Have gotten on OK with hybrids but it rules out swatching and the low seed rate means any early set back can be devastating.

From what I can currently see, I don’t think there will be any conventional varieties in the market this year, the market looks to have moved to hybrids.

From what I can currently see, I don’t think there will be any conventional varieties in the market this year, the market looks to have moved to hybrids.
The market...or the industry?
There’s more money in hybrids...

I’m trying to organize a non hybrid variety of maize to try and give myself the option of keeping HSS and it’s almost impossible to get more than one...amongst hundreds of hybrids.
Funny that.

The market...or the industry?
There’s more money in hybrids...

I’m trying to organize a non hybrid variety of maize to try and give myself the option of keeping HSS and it’s almost impossible to get more than one...amongst hundreds of hybrids.
Funny that.

Good question.

To be fair, the breeders find it easier to introduce traits using the hybrid process so they see better yield increases.
I think most vegetable varieties are hybrid now as well.

That said, the avoidance of hss is definitely in the interest of seed companies too.

Feck.
That is another plan gone. :scratchhead:
Maybe someone has some seed left, but may start thinking of something else to sow.

What is seed availability like or is it a bit early to say at this stage?

Back when we had Deutz combines we used to have that problem sometimes chopping rape and bean straw. There was an adjustment on the counter knives of the chopper where you could angle them back a bit and it seemed to sort the problem.

Back