Spring/Summer Grazing Cost

atbmcc

Somebody has asked me would I have any spare grazing for yearling horses this spring/summer.

What are people charging for spring/summer grazing? Do you normally charge per acre for the grazing season, if so how long is the season? Or do you charge per acre per week? Or per head per week? Basically what's the norm? Per acre per week or per head per week seems the fairest way of working it and would probably suit the best. Does the fact that it would already be fenced and have a water supply influence the price or is that taken as a given almost?

Also do you charge differently for cattle versus sheep versus horses given that the horses wont be the best for the land?

Anything else to consider? I'm based in the southeast of Ireland.

Thanks

We keep a few horses ourselves and have grazed them with sucklers over the years so it wont be anything new. Also I know yer man so there will be no bother dealing with him at all.

Any idea on what the going rate as above is though?

20 euro per week per horse is the going rate, for good dryish ground, they won't eat much to be honest so I wouldn't be spreading much fertiliser, more just the roam of the place they will require. Must say that I am not a fan of horses (father's fetish) and they do make shit of ground if continually grazed on same fields for a number of years but if it's just for one season and he will pay, I see no issue.

Thanks Nashty. They'll eat plenty all the same, yearling thoroughbreds. Would the price be the same for cattle?
I know, they're a disaster on the land, I have experience of it. Every time they gallop around they basically plough it up too!:tdown:
I'd run sheep with them ideally but I have no experience with them.

Thanks Nashty. They'll eat plenty all the same, yearling thoroughbreds. Would the price be the same for cattle?
I know, they're a disaster on the land, I have experience of it. Every time they gallop around they basically plough it up too!:tdown:
Don't know about price per head for cattle as the land is just usually set for a per acre price in cattle arrangements but perhaps the contract rearing arrangements could provide you with the info you require. My opinion from seeing my father's young horses is that they actually don't eat a lot to be honest but again that's only my opinion but they certainly will do plenty of galloping around.

Make sure the fella who's running his nags on your rented land is policing up all that skanky horse shit,,,,,, as you all know a pile of horse shit is docs and stingers in disguise,,, give it a 12 month and you'll be infested with the bastard plants,,,,,

Back