Spring Wheat

What are people's thoughts about spring wheat after spring oats?

Have a small field in that potential slot, it won't be early, likely beginning of April so I'm probably borderline and it wouldn't be early ground.

It had a tendency for lots of grass as well but that may be a compaction issue which hopefully is resolved now.

So too late for spring wheat or better margin put of SB?

What are people's thoughts about spring wheat after spring oats?

Have a small field in that potential slot, it won't be early, likely beginning of April so I'm probably borderline and it wouldn't be early ground.

It had a tendency for lots of grass as well but that may be a compaction issue which hopefully is resolved now.

So too late for spring wheat or better margin put of SB?
I would go S.B. and spray it with Stomp pre-emerge.

Anybody have any experience with Hexham? Provisionally recommended with a very good Hagberg, which is a big plus for us down here with sprouting at harvest.

I think I heard rightly at the Tillage meeting today that there are 10 new spring wheat varieties under trial at present which sounds promising.

What are guys thoughts of spring wheat after lay? Would I be pushing it on sowing dates? Or would it be ok for a anothe few weeks.

Preferably before St Patrick's Day, anytime up to end of March I wouldn't be worried. Is it for wholecrop or combine?
Ah sound thanks. Combine. We are going to rent some ground it's in old grass at the moment so thinking of wheat. Does it pay go wheat over barley in this situation? Ground prob be hungry to. Have a good hape of dung which I think I will spread on it

Ah sound thanks. Combine. We are going to rent some ground it's in old grass at the moment so thinking of wheat. Does it pay go wheat over barley in this situation? Ground prob be hungry to. Have a good hape of dung which I think I will spread on it
I would go wheat, feed it well and if you get your CeCeCe timing spot on it will do all the shortening you need. I think wheat makes better use of later nitrogen released by the sod breaking down, and it can be risky with barley.

I would go wheat, feed it well and if you get your CeCeCe timing spot on it will do all the shortening you need. I think wheat makes better use of later nitrogen released by the sod breaking down, and it can be risky with barley.
Cheers thanks for that.

Check the pH as well if It's fairly poor like you say it is.

Sowed spring wheat end of March yielded fine
Only effect sowing date has within reason is harvest date, yield should be same
Crows are in large groups so hold off
Calcium Lime and potash most important
Place fertiliser if possible
Furrow Press if you can, twice if necessary or possible
Roll then
Remember no dursban so as tight as you can get it

Last edited:
Back