Starting a small farm

Rebeltom

Hi
Apologies if this is the wrong area for this query but im new to this forum.
I am currently looking at starting a small farm that I can work on part time and im looking for advice on starting up. Just to give you a brief background of my circumstances.
Im 35 and currently work full time in construction but I wish to start farming part time.
I have access to sheds and land which was always family land that my brother now owns but has leased out as he has no interest in farming. I will have to pay rent on the land. (Small money hopefully)
I like the idea of rearing dry stock for approx 12 months and selling on again but I have absolutely no idea where to start/what qualifications I need/what animals to buy/when to buy and sell etc.

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi
Apologies if this is the wrong area for this query but im new to this forum.
I am currently looking at starting a small farm that I can work on part time and im looking for advice on starting up. Just to give you a brief background of my circumstances.
Im 35 and currently work full time in construction but I wish to start farming part time.
I have access to sheds and land which was always family land that my brother now owns but has leased out as he has no interest in farming. I will have to pay rent on the land. (Small money hopefully)
I like the idea of rearing dry stock for approx 12 months and selling on again but I have absolutely no idea where to start/what qualifications I need/what animals to buy/when to buy and sell etc.

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks
sign up to Lsm. live Marts online. if you have time. would be no harm to see whats makin what and when. dont buy too many in first year either Imo. you can always make a few extra bales. 50percent extra wrap and keep or sell. safer way in.

A simple way and reasonably low cost way into livestock would be to buy ewe lambs and sell the following summer as hoggets. Very little cost involved other than buying the stock and no lambing!

Good thinking.
Less infrastructure needed too.
Other options could be dairy heifers. Set up correctly the farmer will be the input in terms of advice and buy everything they need.
Where are you @Rebeltom ?

A simple way and reasonably low cost way into livestock would be to buy ewe lambs and sell the following summer as hoggets. Very little cost involved other than buying the stock and no lambing!
If the sheep fences are there already, other than that youll be meeting your neighbours a few times a day, every day :laugh:

Good thinking.
Less infrastructure needed too.
Other options could be dairy heifers. Set up correctly the farmer will be the input in terms of advice and buy everything they need.
Where are you @Rebeltom ?
Thanks for the advice folks. Im in tipperary. I was just looking through the T&C’s to get a herd nr and it looks like it may not be straight forward. There are sheds and a crush on the farm but this is currently leased by another farmer. I have access to sheds and I can easily put up another crush on the other side of the farm but it seems that there cannot be animals from two herds on the one farm. Am I correct in saying this or is there a way around this?

Thanks for the advice folks. Im in tipperary. I was just looking through the T&C’s to get a herd nr and it looks like it may not be straight forward. There are sheds and a crush on the farm but this is currently leased by another farmer. I have access to sheds and I can easily put up another crush on the other side of the farm but it seems that there cannot be animals from two herds on the one farm. Am I correct in saying this or is there a way around this?

No way around it I'm afraid. It has to be separate land and separate handling facilities.

Or are you saying you have one farm (legally) that is farmed separately by 2 farmers? If that's the case there are no issues provided everything is separate.

Back