Stock Pictures

20160828_112731_zpsntdy3sf9.jpg

This lady preens him like a show calf several times a day.

20160828_112514_zpss1p6npty.jpg

I can not see how she would grade u,
r-2+ at best but what would i know with only a handfull of cattle she looks like a yoke that was slow to put flesh on and probably poor weight kill out to boot

Have twin ptx off a low star cow but what I always considered my best cow. They are in calf to simmental stock bull and due in about 6 weeks. They are off bzb and he has a maternal score of near €200. They are €102. Will make great cows for me.
Do you think it is a flaw in the system that allows a really low star cow to produce offspring rated at €100 plus simply down to the bull @muckymanor ?

I'm not having a go at your stock at all as we all know the ratings on female stock are not fully right yet anyway so this breeding is just fixing the discrepancy for you. It's just considering the bearing the cow has especiall on maternal traits it seems odd that the bull can pull up heifer stats so much.

Its working out for you this time anyway so all good

Do you think it is a flaw in the system that allows a really low star cow to produce offspring rated at €100 plus simply down to the bull @muckymanor ?

I'm not having a go at your stock at all as we all know the ratings on female stock are not fully right yet anyway so this breeding is just fixing the discrepancy for you. It's just considering the bearing the cow has especiall on maternal traits it seems odd that the bull can pull up heifer stats so much.

Its working out for you this time anyway so all good

It probably is a flaw in the system to allow such a low star cow produce calves with that high of score. The system is definitely flawed. But it's flawed before this level when it does not take into account calves that were kept on farm, or sold privately for export. I suppose it's impossible for a system to take everything into account. I think the system will regulate itself over time however and compensate or deduct scores for its discrepancies. I think the system is about 80% correct. And as s suckler farmer, if you get 80% then it's not a bad start!

Absolutely. I'm a supporter of it, we are in bdgp as I think its the way to go but there are kinks.

Still a lot of resistance to the idea of genomics and star rating etc.. I attended a Teagasc course on the scheme a few months ago. The first interesting thing was the age profile of attendees - nearly all over 60. The second was we were the only ones using ai. Probably tells a tale.

U- 3+ :scratchhead:

R + 2+ ??

Would of fed into a u=3 at 400kgs

I can not see how she would grade u,
r-2+ at best but what would i know with only a handfull of cattle she looks like a yoke that was slow to put flesh on and probably poor weight kill out to boot

She was an R+ 2-. As I said, we would grade if not one but 2 sub grades in fat lower where my cattle go. €120 of a cut. Hence I can never hardly get a blue to grade better than 2+ and detest feeding them

Is she a montbellier

No . She is a Hex on the card.
The sons wife bought him 2 of them for his Christmas present the second Xmas they were together.
The other cow was culled 2 years ago , bug have her last daughter as a cow now, got by our last stock bull , a Sympa son.
That calf is by our present Limousine bull.

In calf heifers aubrac x aa and au xsim

Do you find the 2 beef breed cross to have enough milk ? I personally prefer something with 50% Br Fr in the cross .

In the picture I posted of the old Hex cow and her new born calf , there is another cow in the background. She Is a Lm x Rotbunt/Lm cross. She throws a great calf , but that's damn nearly her job done for the year . She wouldn't rear a kitten, but goes in calf miracously quickly every year. I would take a milky Fr x Lm cow any day before her.

Fine stock.
That 1st heifer looks flighty.
Be some fun getting her into the parlour....:rolleyes2:.
Im not as stupid as i look. Isnt she very good for a Jex?
Sure if the calf is stuck at the shoulders call the neighbours pm me your telephone no. and i`ll put you on speed dial!!!

Back