Stock Pictures

Do you find the 2 beef breed cross to have enough milk ? I personally prefer something with 50% Br Fr in the cross .

In the picture I posted of the old Hex cow and her new born calf , there is another cow in the background. She Is a Lm x Rotbunt/Lm cross. She throws a great calf , but that's damn nearly her job done for the year . She wouldn't rear a kitten, but goes in calf miracously quickly every year. I would take a milky Fr x Lm cow any day before her.

Do you find that a 50% BF Fr in the cross of a Dam produces a high proportion of finer boned calves that may not grade as well when slaughtered / or sell as well as weinlings. Personally I find that I can pick out the calves off 50% Fr's at weinling sales a mile away.

I don't disagree with you about milk. Some of our best cows are 25% Br FR. In recent years we have started to introduce shorthorn and simmental into our herd. The shorthorn is proving to be quite suitable for our system so much so that last year we bought a shorthorn stock bull for heifers and some cows. We find that shorthorn cows are smaller and lighter than traditional breeds which suits out type of ground. Yet they have plenty of milk and they cross very well with our CH bull producing the colour of calves that export buyers want. The simmental is a new departure this year and so far it is working well with a good number of calves on the ground.

Do you find the 2 beef breed cross to have enough milk ? I personally prefer something with 50% Br Fr in the cross .

In the picture I posted of the old Hex cow and her new born calf , there is another cow in the background. She Is a Lm x Rotbunt/Lm cross. She throws a great calf , but that's damn nearly her job done for the year . She wouldn't rear a kitten, but goes in calf miracously quickly every year. I would take a milky Fr x Lm cow any day before her.
You could be right on the 2 beef breed but I have had half breed with to much milk and have to practically starve her in spring to reduce flow and in Autumn she will get mastitis and in my case loose a quarter last spring i had an old girl calve down with one spin the right back and a left hand opening race gate .While I should not complain as she calves early every year sitting on a three foot tall calf trying to get him to suck a spin three inches off the ground oh the joys of suckling . Also that Jex you definitely do not want to bring them in to the mart !!

Just 1 pedigree limousin bull calf this year. This guy was calved on July 13th and she has lots of milk for him. 5 star Maternal and Terminal. He's off highlander and the Dam is off Fieldson Alfy

20160831_201856_zpsjpbhe4np.jpg

20160902_132849_zpsruxnykgo.jpg

27 month old twin ptx heifers due to calve to si stock bull in 5 weeks time. Should make excellent cows. On bare ground for the last few weeks and the coming weeks before they come home to calve.

20160902_132852-1_zpsgnceilgg.jpg

This lady put out her calf bed earlier this year and lost her calf in the process. She has got good grass for the last 6 months. She's moving to afterwards tomorrow and I hope to give her a bit of rolled barley for 6 weeks before I send her to the factory in October. I'm reckoning 3 kg per day. Will cost €30. Should pay.

That lad with the horns must surely be over 30 months !!
Last year you gave a comparison between purchase price and weight gain and days on the farm if i remember correctly on different cattle .Intrested if you have any figures this year ,some lads said cattle are not weighing as well this year

That lad with the horns must surely be over 30 months !!
Last year you gave a comparison between purchase price and weight gain and days on the farm if i remember correctly on different cattle .Intrested if you have any figures this year ,some lads said cattle are not weighing as well this year
The lad with the horns wont be 30 months 'till mid November, he's going because he will go overfat coupled with the fact the RH horn is starting to press the skin, not as much detail as last year but a few figures here @Green Grass , http://www.forum4farming.com/forum/...rices-general-thread.13666/page-2#post-473699

good healthy looking stock anyways Nash. as a matter of interest what sort of weight and grade would thede lads come into at or under 30 months.

They will be gone by this time next year hopefully. Should grade R= /R- hopefully and around 370kgs but expect maybe more.

Tidy bunch there, were the tails clipped for the mart or did you do it, I hate the sight of cattle with straggly tails especially ones that were housed for the winter.

Pet hate here too, first thing that's done here as well, it also helps greatly to keep them clean. Most would also get a pour on for lice etc and a dose of Albex or similar.

Back