Stock Pictures

Weighing for beep today. Vaccinating for ibr and pneumonia at the same time. They are weaned this evening and the cows may not see grass again until April. The weanlings will get out on grass for another month.

Happy with weights. Best calf is off a shorthorn heifer. Mother is 520kg and calf is 320kg. Its been a good year for thrive. Majority of the march born calves are 300kg+.

IMG_20201005_145917.jpgIMG_20201005_145934.jpg

Weighing for beep today. Vaccinating for ibr and pneumonia at the same time. They are weaned this evening and the cows may not see grass again until April. The weanlings will get out on grass for another month.

Happy with weights. Best calf is off a shorthorn heifer. Mother is 520kg and calf is 320kg. Its been a good year for thrive. Majority of the march born calves are 300kg+.

View attachment 83004View attachment 83005
That's excellent performance Mucky to be fair to you. Two questions for you, are you creep feeding the calves? Do you not consider giving the vaccines the same day you wean them to be a poor use of the vaccine? My vet tells me to give at least two weeks in advance, but perhaps he is being over cautious. He maintains that they need it before they are stressed.

That's excellent performance Mucky to be fair to you. Two questions for you, are you creep feeding the calves? Do you not consider giving the vaccines the same day you wean them to be a poor use of the vaccine? My vet tells me to give at least two weeks in advance, but perhaps he is being over cautious. He maintains that they need it before they are stressed.
I'm creep feeding approx 1kg per head per day. Will ramp it up now that they are inside.

I agree that I'm a bit late with the pneumonia vaccine. They should have had it 2 weeks ago by right but it will immunise them within 5 days of getting it and cover them for 12 weeks. This bunch were on rented land which has no handling facilities for the last month. We have everything else done for it even though they won't be housed for another week. I have tried to keep stress to a minimum for this bunch. They are the bigger calves. They have meal ad lib now. Their mothers are in the pen just over from them. The bawling has already settled. Hopefully they will be OK.

I'm creep feeding approx 1kg per head per day. Will ramp it up now that they are inside.

I agree that I'm a bit late with the pneumonia vaccine. They should have had it 2 weeks ago by right but it will immunise them within 5 days of getting it and cover them for 12 weeks. This bunch were on rented land which has no handling facilities for the last month. We have everything else done for it even though they won't be housed for another week. I have tried to keep stress to a minimum for this bunch. They are the bigger calves. They have meal ad lib now. Their mothers are in the pen just over from them. The bawling has already settled. Hopefully they will be OK.
Incidentally I saw two men after buying weanlings locally in a mart lately, vaccinating there and then before bringing the cattle home. Was wondering to myself afterwards how effective it would be.
Probably no great stress on them at all really if they can still hear and see their mothers anyways. They are fine calves.

Incidentally I saw two men after buying weanlings locally in a mart lately, vaccinating there and then before bringing the cattle home. Was wondering to myself afterwards how effective it would be.
Probably no great stress on them at all really if they can still hear and see their mothers anyways. They are fine calves.

Loading areas have tightened up in marts around here in recent times but in times gone by I have often seen lads vaccinate bought weanlings in the chute on the way out. My lads wouldn't be stressed in any comparison to a calf at a mart. Weather is cool enough too and my shed is open so the airflow is good.

I have bought Weanlings in the local marts in the last few weeks. Some that were weaned were let out next day. Others that weren't weaned, I kept in for a feww days. Dosed, black leg ,squeezed some of them.
I've had a right bit of sickness and snotty noses with them, have to watch them very tight. Treating about one in five. I'm sorry didn't vaccinate them as soon as I got them home.
That one up the nose seems to work quick, is it Rispoval.

I have bought Weanlings in the local marts in the last few weeks. Some that were weaned were let out next day. Others that weren't weaned, I kept in for a feww days. Dosed, black leg ,squeezed some of them.
I've had a right bit of sickness and snotty noses with them, have to watch them very tight. Treating about one in five. I'm sorry didn't vaccinate them as soon as I got them home.
That one up the nose seems to work quick, is it Rispoval.
Rispoval

IMG_20201010_174807.jpgIMG_20201010_174857.jpg

Last hurrah for these 16 to 18 month bullocks. Grass has regrown well here since we sold the heifers off it. These lads might get 3 weeks before they go onto the slats. Weighed them today and the best lad in the second pic is 560kg. I have another lad 550. Hopefully we will kill these 2 off the slats. The rest will get a bit of spring grass before slaughter. Here's hoping for an early spring.

Thats strange, I could see them earlier but not now, from memory what's with the animals leg @gone ?
He was lame late yesterday evening, when I was feeding them he was in good form and eating, so I left him till this morning.
His hock was swollen, I think a few warts on his hock got infected. The vet recommended a shot of Betamox and spray the warts with Alamycin spray.

Back