Stock Pictures

IMG_9669.jpg

A bunch of AAX (all bar one) heifers here. it's a big change from the west of Ireland sourced continental yearlings that were here last year, there's a bit of satisfaction in rearing your own stock. While they mightn't come a fortune it's a great relief to not have to compete at current mart prices being paid.

View attachment 90631

A bunch of AAX (all bar one) heifers here. it's a big change from the west of Ireland sourced continental yearlings that were here last year, there's a bit of satisfaction in rearing your own stock. While they mightn't come a fortune it's a great relief to not have to compete at current mart prices being paid.
Good square heifers by the look of it. I presume you will kill them off grass?

Good square heifers by the look of it. I presume you will kill them off grass?
Perhaps we should kill them off grass but I'd be concerned they'd be too small. If we can get a good price for them we may sell them as stores in October. If not they'll go into the shed and be slaughtered at 22-24 months in the new year.

Got the herd test done anyways,Got all the tails trimmed and cows dosed.All clear on the TB front too thank god has been a lot of it in the area the last few years.Only one left to calf now as I wrote this, probably be the one that’ll take the longest now :rolleyes:3 calved since the herd test anyways 7BD0CCC4-971E-43E9-BC44-321E7AA3CB61.jpeg
Was surprised by this fella on the slats one morning533561BA-4759-4B20-A227-FFD9C1ED5735.jpegEA67D7F4-A93B-4713-9519-8377BE3ECC94.jpeg
Had this Heifer calf on the 29th, lovely calf altogether big and strong on the hips CE0B7929-87A1-4600-9862-B0CC547CB62D.jpeg
Had this calf on Monday passed.Heifer also.That cow is a Hereford/British Friesan cross, lovely animal for the Hereford calf’s, and plenty of milk in them too FCD56EC3-45F6-4884-B9E9-5325627F6219.jpeg
Got the weanlings let out in the other farm after the herd test. They have shaped up lovely. All in all hasn’t been too bad calving this year. Well pleased with the cows this year regards calving only had to get the Calving Jack for 4 out of 25 cows, which is good also.

Perhaps we should kill them off grass but I'd be concerned they'd be too small. If we can get a good price for them we may sell them as stores in October. If not they'll go into the shed and be slaughtered at 22-24 months in the new year.
Would you forward sell them, for the 1st of November at €1.60/kg?

By the look of them I'd say they'll be fat off grass in October, finishing Angus heifers a few years and the smell of feeding and they're fat, the only ones that go into the shed are either very holsteiny ( not a word) or have had a tough life before they come here, I don't think that'll be the case with you. Time will tell.

Bought 22 a couple of weeks back,majority Limmies and Blues and a few Blondes,10 of the mental Limmies and Blondes went to the grazing marsh yesterday👋7A8A26FC-9317-4463-8683-561D504A75BC.jpegthe others I’m trying to quieten till they go in a months time,little feckers broke my electric fence 3 times yesterday afternoon.🤬

Have dress up in camouflage and binoculars to look at the suckler cows and calves now who every time they see you think they’re going to get moved. But no where to move them to till grass grows and they’re not exactly starving. If they even hear the jeep they go mad. They’re probably doing the same.

Attachments

• E7F46223-DC68-4CEE-89EA-3A3D59941611.jpeg
    E7F46223-DC68-4CEE-89EA-3A3D59941611.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 21
Have dress up in camouflage and binoculars to look at the suckler cows and calves now who every time they see you think they’re going to get moved. But no where to move them to till grass grows and they’re not exactly starving. If they even hear the jeep they go mad. They’re probably doing the same.
Mine are fine when I am on foot or in the jeep, but if they hear the quad coming they run to the gate with the expectation that there is a move on the cards.

I let out the milking cows this morning to the paddock that they'd Come from . They'd had 2 grazings , but I thought they'd get a few more hours , skin it , and I'd let them into next one at dinner time . The union leaders put on a very vocal protest , so I relented .
A bit more green in the grass today . It doesn't look quite as anemic as it has for weeks . The frost at night is the trouble.

Back