Stock Pictures

What's the breeding in that one? Great trees in the background - must give good shelter for them.
He's a LMX. I'll have to check the card and I'll add more details.

Yea, we have great cover around the farm, it's around an old estate house so lots of bit horse chestnuts and oaks.

I was supposed to have all the cattle on the bog for the last 3 weeks, but I failed to load the bigger ones, so I am now running 2 batches and the bog is getting totally out of control. The flail topper does a great job cleaning up after the cattle and they eat a good bit of the flailed grass as it dries out.
I will try a bit of hay on 4 acres or so in 10 days or so. It is sure to rain if I have hay down.

Eamon and Pippa would love your attempt at rewilding...
That bog was considered too bad for the drainage grants back in the day, but my father went at it anyway. It is good summer grass field, but my stock farming and grass management are very much an after thought, really just a hobby these days. Back when I had wolly lice and help that was a very productive grass field, but years of only partial management and it being left on the long finger have it the way it is, I was going to drain it over the winter and reseed it, but I missed the boat and it got too wet, hopefully I'll get it done this winter.

Brown calf is 87% hereford, nice bit of shape to him, not really done justice in the photo. Stock look well and very content in this weather.

Zero growth here now though, plough through heavy covers for now and keep the fingers crossed 🤞

Attachments

• 20230601_215809.jpg
    20230601_215809.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230601_215706.jpg
    20230601_215706.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230601_215641.jpg
    20230601_215641.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 37
Brown calf is 87% hereford, nice bit of shape to him, not really done justice in the photo. Stock look well and very content in this weather.

Zero growth here now though, plough through heavy covers for now and keep the fingers crossed 🤞
Lovely shape to him - lots of milk is standing to him.

Growth is booming here. Ground has only properly dried out in the last few days. This day last week I left tracks in pasture with the slurry tanker.

Lovely shape to him - lots of milk is standing to him.

Growth is booming here. Ground has only properly dried out in the last few days. This day last week I left tracks in pasture with the slurry tanker.
Its incredible the difference around the country, you'd break your ankle on ground here now. We have a good bit of ground by the Barrow that was holding water late but all that is dried out now. Working away at hay and silage so no complaints but absolutely every stock farmer you speak to in our area is genuinely nervous about feed now

Cattle always seen to do well on poor grazing so long as they have the sun on their backs as well, often better than good grazing with shite weather.

Back