Stone drains?

scoffcruddle

Stone drains,won’t they just block up?

The stone he’s using looks small and looks like it complete with dust.

Wow, that looks like the best thing since slice pan.
You’d need a nice fall in the land for it work as I’d say it just works at a set depth.
I’d say that stone would be ok once it’s round. A lot of the very old field drains around here seem to have small stone in them.

Looks very dusty all right and thought it looked a bit like blackish ground.
Can't beat washed stone for the job

As you and others above have said , the quality of the stone used wouldn't be anything to write home about .

But , your comment on wont stone drains just block up , Why would they ?

Use enough of stone to get to the surface , and forget about pipe , would be quite common around here .
Certainly a better job than a pipe and half enough stone .
If that machine could be yoked up to laser guidance , it would be a great tool , in non stoney ground .

As you and others above have said , the quality of the stone used wouldn't be anything to write home about .

Use enough of stone to get to the surface , and forget about pipe , would be quite common around here .
If that machine could be yoked up to laser guidance , it would be a great tool , in non stoney ground .
To my mind that yoke is only as good as the ground its working on, a bit of a one trick pony.

Any drains I’ve stoned up,basically low spots stoned up fully block up eventually,ground type?

There are some ancient drains here done a similar way.
Just field stones chucked in a hole.
Come across them whilst draining sometimes and every one we've found still runs!
Mind you we just might not be seeing the blocked ones!🤔
But they would be fist size upwars.

Was fed up with pipes blocking in a particular bog I had years ago. Filled new drains with 2 inch stone to within just under ploughing Depth and covered the drains with years of old Bale silage wrap before backfilling. That was nearly 10 years ago.. You wouldn't come out if with your wellies on before, it was that bad..

Was fed up with pipes blocking in a particular bog I had years ago. Filled new drains with 2 inch stone to within just under ploughing Depth and covered the drains with years of old Bale silage wrap before backfilling. That was nearly 10 years ago.. You wouldn't come out if with your wellies on before, it was that bad..
So you covered over the stone with wrap?

Got to admit I’d like a pipe in the bottom then stone.
Something like this with a stone box behind.

So you covered over the stone with wrap?

Got to admit I’d like a pipe in the bottom then stone.
Something like this with a stone box behind.
I'm not saying its going to be a success for everyone, I reckon the plastic will prevent soil getting down to block it up.. I've also heard of straw being used. As I said the pipes were always blocking with a red ooze I believe was called red ochre.. Was a nightmare so we decided to go all stone its perfect now anyway..

Never backfilled a shore here without putting a layer of hay or straw over the stone first. Keeps the soil from goin down from the top. Great job. Crushed stone is useless as it goes back together in time.
Very rarely use pipes other than main shores.

from my experience you have to get down deep to catch the water coming up from underneath the ground .I’d go with 4 inch stone and don’t spare it . and cover wit old silage wrap to stop the soil filtering down and blocking it . Life time job as long as your water can get away at the mouth of the drain

Never backfilled a shore here without putting a layer of hay or straw over the stone first. Keeps the soil from goin down from the top. Great job. Crushed stone is useless as it goes back together in time.
Very rarely use pipes other than main shores.
Yea I'd agree with that..

Any shoring we do in wet spots I would fill stone up to the surface in spots so the water will always soak. And we always put a pipe in. There is a fella hiring out one of those mole ploughs with a gravel hopper on it local enough. I never heard of putting straw or hay on top of the stones before backfilling, I will try it sometime.

Would sheep's wool do the same job as the plastic wrap? I would be afraid of my life of catching it with a mole plough or something like that and dragging plastic all over the place.

Soil type must make a huge difference too
I have piped drains in clay with stone and soil on top that were laid in the 80's at the latest and they are flowing away fine

We cut through a stone shore in a field last November that was down a good 4ft in the ground. Coming from a low place through a hill. Working perfect. Must have been done nearly 100 years ago. Some work involved.

Any shoring we do in wet spots I would fill stone up to the surface in spots so the water will always soak. And we always put a pipe in. There is a fella hiring out one of those mole ploughs with a gravel hopper on it local enough. I never heard of putting straw or hay on top of the stones before backfilling, I will try it sometim

Back