Straw Prices

When bedding prices rise higher than feeding prices there’s something gone wrong. If you had bales of straw @ €20 available or bales of average hay @ €15 available which would you buy to bed cattle with? Surely the bit of forage in the hay would outweigh the lack of soakage in it.

There’ll be some clay attached to that rake when he’s finished.

Rotavating it for the next crop!
Siobhán says it’s to be a good weekend.
It’ll be blowing out of the rows by Sunday.

Did she? I know that leather skirt might have distracted me but I thought Saturday looks like a lot of showers. In saying that, after the last 2 days, anything is a bonus.

Straw seems to be in demand. Two calls about it this weekend, one looking for straw now, the other booking straw for harvest
Hope you mentioned a price in the mid twenties ??? And of course a small deposit to ensure supply !!! With milk on the up , good lamb prices and beef slowly making its way to the magic 4euro a kg its time cereal growers were taken off the hind tit and got a fair price for their goods .
Come on lads its time to start SELLING our straw not giving it away cheap
Any quibbling and tell them you would get more in the chopping scheme .

Are you sending them incognito so you dont get mugged by bandits on the way..
I was more drawing them into bandit country, they all went to poor dairy farmers who are stuck and cash strapped.
It is a 4hr round trip and I would have great intentions of getting home before dark, but in general something happened to delay me, that was the last load and I drew over the seed on the way over and met my brother in his yard so spent a good spell talking out in the yard, so was late.
I did ask a few of neighbours in KK did they want them but they seem not to need them.

Not near as good as a shed and I would do very differently if I had to do it again, but it kept 20 month old straw OK.
Was just going to ask you if a shed was worth it over wrapping them. Sopose the straw would want to be fairly singing going into the bale to be wrapped.

The wrapper the contractor has can only put on 4 layers.
I sold straw to a fellow once, he wrapped some of the bales in the field as soon as I had them made as he didn’t have room in his shed for them . He told me after that every bale he wrapped heated and stuck together and the bales that weren’t wrapped were perfect.

A guy buys about 300 bales of barley straw and he wraps them. Not sure how many layers he puts on but he always moisture tests .

Back