Straw Prices

2 people that said 25 was too dear for straw have since rang back looking to take it. All the winter barley straw is gone, if I had more it would be gone no bother too. I have most of the oat straw sold at 20 a bale off the field. Go on done deal and click county Galway and you won’t find stuff for less than 30, ads are disappearing a few hours after they go up too it’s not lasting long

Mine have the same quantity of straw in them as normal I reckon as I always get 10 bales to the acre. However they expanded mad after leaving the chamber. Had trouble fitting them on the trailer due to the bigger diameter. Pixel was worse than infinity.
Too dry and waxy. Spoke to a few others and having similar trouble, both baling and loading.

Did anyone ever get or hear of 19 bales per acre?
Probably possible if you had no conscience. The first field of Cassia we baled this year did 133 bales 8x4x3 from 20acres at 330kgs so 2195kgs to the acre, highest moisture was 12% on the baler most just reading low. We've round baled the rest, like others had trouble making a bale the first day, some of the straw was too dry after two days and didn't bale out as well, had to put on extra net to hold them, stopped and left it until the day after when it was a bit cooler in the morning.

Last edited:
Pixel baled out at 1700kgs per acre @10% moisture and castings 2380kgs @12% moisture, I’ve weighed and moisture probed them this morning just out of curiosity really. Belfry is not baled yet as it’s green and damp and raw
Thats the first post here that anyone can compare against. Talking bales is like talking about trailer loads of grain leaving a field

Thats the first post here that anyone can compare against. Talking bales is like talking about trailer loads of grain leaving a field
Never found lads happy to sell straw per ton. I was always bemoaning efficiency of haulage. For a finish up, often had 25 ton on a truck of straw.

Pixel baled out at 1700kgs per acre @10% moisture and castings 2380kgs @12% moisture, I’ve weighed and moisture probed them this morning just out of curiosity really. Belfry is not baled yet as it’s green and damp and raw
Interesting, that 1 variety can have almost half as much more straw per acre, as another variety.
Anyone know what the highest straw yielding variety is?

Interesting, that 1 variety can have almost half as much more straw per acre, as another variety.
Anyone know what the highest straw yielding variety is?
There was also .4 of a tonne per acre in difference in grain yield so it was a lot thicker but it was 6-10 inches shorter also

I seen an awful lot of straw on the roads this past few days compared to last year, even a few weeks ago I saw a few loads of lasts years straw heading North and North West from the Dublin direction. Was there less demand last year.

Was told yeaterday that a bale of 8x4x4 is making some where between 70-80. Forget the exact price. That would be in sligo.

I seen an awful lot of straw on the roads this past few days compared to last year, even a few weeks ago I saw a few loads of lasts years straw heading North and North West from the Dublin direction. Was there less demand last year.
We should charge €20 every year. Nobody wants it when it’s cheap.

Back