Straw Prices

Oat straw here is now also gone I had some sold at 20 a bale since it was sown last October but I had more not sold, I put it for sale on done deal and I see an online article even reported the price at 22 a bale. The straw is sold and gone at 22.
Well done.
What county are you in please?

Travelled to the Midlands yesterday sourcing rams. Was surprised at the amount of bales in fields, listening to reports locally you be lead to believe that there were loaders following the balers waiting for the bale to drop.

Also a lot of hay out with quite a lot of aftergrass around them in places

Travelled to the Midlands yesterday sourcing rams. Was surprised at the amount of bales in fields, listening to reports locally you be lead to believe that there were loaders following the balers waiting for the bale to drop.

I’m in the midlands, we have straw in a field baled up since earlier on the week, it’s all pre booked and sold, the last lad to book his straw there, is going to be short 80 or 100 bales. If it’s dry today and tomorrow itl all be moved.
We are sold out of straw for a few weeks now.
Your right about hay there’s plenty of hay baled up and left out, it happens every year, that there’s an opportunity to make hay, if it’s not sold before it’s baled as hay, wrap it and sell it next winter.

@ithastopay took the words out of my mouth, I have all my straw baled 70% is out in fields by the road still but it's all sold and has baled out lighter than predicted so I might have to tighten up a few lads on barley straw, had 3 new lads ring in the last week who I couldn't help out.

For those who don’t have much involvement in the saving, baling and management of straw.
Here’s two things that came up recently.

Firstly, an encounter with a customer in a field, who was moaning about the amount of straw in the bales, it was a general comment, I presumed, as he hadn’t even looked at, sniffed or examined the bales yet.
I let him have his speak, before I asked him what weight did he think the bales were?
or what weight he thought they should be?
He said he didn’t actually know, at which point, I agreed with him and told him, he was right, he didn’t really know what he talking about.
He then took out the the cheque book and paid me for the straw he got in July 2020.

Next up, a customer rings looking for straw, he has bought before, but hadn’t booked any straw this year.
I’ll take 150 bales,
Not a hope, we might have 50 for you, we’ll see how it bales up and I’ll get back to you.
Rang him, told him he could get 50 today.....
He had taken 150 bales and has them at home, in the shed. He now has to take 100 bales back to the field, or else we have to send the customers to his yard to collect the straw.
He’s a decent man, he would’ve payed for the straw, he just didn’t understand that it wasn’t there for him to bring.

How would a stock farmer, react, if I were to buy cattle or sheep from him, return to pay a year later and complain about what I had bought.
Or perhaps do a deal to buy 40 stores lambs and then bring 140?

We still have a fair amount of winter barley to cut, straw on the ground that will need to be dried and got ready for baling.

I really enjoy the challenges of straw, trying to save it and beating the weather, gives me great satisfaction.

Last edited:
For those who don’t have much involvement in the saving, baling and management of straw.

Firstly, an encounter with a customer in a field, who was moaning about the amount of straw in the bales, it was a general comment, I presumed, as he hadn’t even looked at, sniffed or examined the bales yet.
I let him have his speak, before I asked him what weight did he think the bales were?
He said he didn’t actually know, at which point, I agreed with him and told him, he was right, he didn’t really know what he talking about.
He then took out the the cheque book and paid me for the straw he got in July 2020.

Next up, a customer rings looking for straw, he has bought before, but hadn’t booked any straw this year.
I’ll take 150 bales,
Not a hope, we might have 50 for you, we’ll see how it bales up and I’ll get back to you.
He had taken 150 bales and has them at home, in the shed. He now has to take 100 bales back to the field, or else we have to send the customers to his yard to collect the straw.
He’s a decent man, he would’ve payed for the straw, he just didn’t understand that it wasn’t there for him to bring.

How would a stock farmer, react, if I were to buy cattle or sheep from him, return to pay a year later and complain about what I had bought.

We still have a fair amount of winter barley to cut, straw on the ground that will need to be dried and got ready for baling.

I really enjoy the challenges of straw, trying to save it and beating the weather, gives me great satisfaction.
I can't understand why people won't trade hay and straw by the tonne and cut out this nonsense about the size of bales once and for all

I can't understand why people won't trade hay and straw by the tonne and cut out this nonsense about the size of bales once and for all
What price should a ton of baled straw cost, regardless of the type of bale it is? Around €130?

I’ll take 150 bales,

You are a generous man to allow a bollix like that 12 months credit. Not having a go at you but have some lads no shame, to think it’s ok to leave a bill unpaid for 12 months?
How would he like it if the co-op of meat factory left him wait 12 months for his cheque.
I would get great satisfaction telling a guy like that, all the straw is all gone, maybe he should try around a few straw dealers, they will even deliver it for around 28 to 30 a bale.

We are well sold out of straw and the phone is ringing everyday from new customers looking for straw. All I’m saying is call back in 2 weeks when spring barley harvest starts. The days of waiting until harvest to find straw is gone and even without the chopping scheme I can see fields or at least headlands on fields being chopped if demand is not there. Time and money saving straw is not easy. Had 2 customers complain about small stones in straw last year, I asked them did they think the stones went through the combine and if they wanted bad bales the stones were easily avoided but if straw got wet it was going to have to be turned. it can be hard to avoid small stones coming back in when raking back up straw, the complaint was soon taken back. There are some reports of good crops but it’s more good crops of grain rather than straw, we have 100 baled and 85 of that is cleared , we have 80 acres on the ground , that might have been 8/900 bales but there will be at least a bale an acre dropped there now when its turned and saved, that won’t be found again!! spring barley straw crops will be average at best around. To be honest I’d say why bales are sitting in fields is they might have been baled a bit fresh and they would be better sitting out for a week or two.

No idea what price it sells for but Dad sell all straw in the swath by the field to repeat customers. They bale and move what ever is there. I think there was some grumbles about quantity last year but it was a shite year for straw.

We are well sold out of straw and the phone is ringing everyday from new customers looking for straw. All I’m saying is call back in 2 weeks when spring barley harvest starts. The days of waiting until harvest to find straw is gone and even without the chopping scheme I can see fields or at least headlands on fields being chopped if demand is not there. Time and money saving straw is not easy. Had 2 customers complain about small stones in straw last year, I asked them did they think the stones went through the combine and if they wanted bad bales the stones were easily avoided but if straw got wet it was going to have to be turned. it can be hard to avoid small stones coming back in when raking back up straw, the complaint was soon taken back. There are some reports of good crops but it’s more good crops of grain rather than straw, we have 100 baled and 85 of that is cleared , we have 80 acres on the ground , that might have been 8/900 bales but there will be at least a bale an acre dropped there now when its turned and saved, that won’t be found again!! spring barley straw crops will be average at best around. To be honest I’d say why bales are sitting in fields is they might have been baled a bit fresh and they would be better sitting out for a week or two.
I saw some growing corn that must have been hit with the flash rain deluge last week. It was kinda bent over half way up rather than fully lodged. Some fields quite large areas but the further north I went it didn't seem to be an issue. Presume the grain and straw will be salvaged from these.

The guy that brought my straw had quite a lot of his own wb straw still to be baled. and he buys a lot of bales as well for selling

I know sfa about tillage (as you probably guessed)

I’ll take 150 bales,

Paying for last year while looking for this years ...... Indeed with such excellent credit terms its no wonder youre sold out !!!. Here along the east " toast " coast shavers like myself try to adere to " the day of the funeral is the day of the offerings " as far as possible or at least get paid before Christmas .
A dim view is taken of late payers like your boyo
Anyway i got my bit of w barley cut and straw baled and collected by my good friend " 300 and rising " . True to his word he called today to square up .
He needed a few soothing words of reassuarance that he wasnt been fleeced and as i gleefully pointed out that with current grass growth straw might be needed to bulk up silage as a lot of second cut is making its way direct to the cow via zero grazer rather than to the pit .... A reminder about the spring of 18 when the co - ops were importing stocks of overpriced hay to keep the cows fed soon softened his cough
Still clutching the chequebook but still not writing he claims that none of the his discussion group are paying twenty and are getting straw easily . In fact says he a lot of them are going to see about rushes for bedding... RUSHES for one second i have a nightmarish vision of a world in reverse with lorrys laden with black rushes crossing the Shannon heading east instead of golden straw heading west .. Hmm soon the cereal grower will feel the same way about rushes as the potato grower feels about pasta and rice !! For fucck sake says i are the Docks not enough for yis ?? A few years beeding with rushes and you wont be able to see the cows with the height of them .
He shifted uncomfortably in his chair at the mention of Docks and of course there is zero scientific proof that rushes spread through slurry but that doesent matter nowadays does it?
Finally the cheque got written and when i had it safely in my arsepocket i tapped my nose and told him i had it on good authority that a 70 % grant for new combines ..... with choppers of course would soon be launched ...

Paying for last year while looking for this years ...... Indeed with such excellent credit terms its no wonder youre sold out !!!. Here along the east " toast " coast shavers like myself try to adere to " the day of the funeral is the day of the offerings " as far as possible or at least get paid before Christmas .
A dim view is taken of late payers like your boyo
Anyway i got my bit of w barley cut and straw baled and collected by my good friend " 300 and rising " . True to his word he called today to square up .
He needed a few soothing words of reassuarance that he wasnt been fleeced and as i gleefully pointed out that with current grass growth straw might be needed to bulk up silage as a lot of second cut is making its way direct to the cow via zero grazer rather than to the pit .... A reminder about the spring of 18 when the co - ops were importing stocks of overpriced hay to keep the cows fed soon softened his cough
Still clutching the chequebook but still not writing he claims that none of the his discussion group are paying twenty and are getting straw easily . In fact says he a lot of them are going to see about rushes for bedding... RUSHES for one second i have a nightmarish vision of a world in reverse with lorrys laden with black rushes crossing the Shannon heading east instead of golden straw heading west .. Hmm soon the cereal grower will feel the same way about rushes as the potato grower feels about pasta and rice !! For fucck sake says i are the Docks not enough for yis ?? A few years beeding with rushes and you wont be able to see the cows with the height of them .
He shifted uncomfortably in his chair at the mention of Docks and of course there is zero scientific proof that rushes spread through slurry but that doesent matter nowadays does it?
Finally the cheque got written and when i had it safely in my arsepocket i tapped my nose and told him i had it on good authority that a 70 % grant for new combines ..... with choppers of course would soon be launched ...
Contact the powers that be, and make sacrificial offerings to our glorious leader @nashmach, we will club together and throw you a few shillings to write a weekly column. Unless, that is, you have a 3rd level education, in which case all bets are off.

Back