Straw Prices

You were never baling in a field with a guy on one side of the tractor (the seller) telling you to slacken the bales and another guy at the other side of the tractor (the buyer) telling you to tighten them. It would do your head in. There are lots of weighbridges in the country, weigh an odd load and get an average weight per bale and work away. It riles me no end to see people talking about making decent bales when they know full well they have the density set to the bare minimum. And those who shout the loudest about it are usually the worst offenders.
Would you keep the density up to keep your rep in tact or slacken it to keep the straw owner happy? Iv never been asked to slacken off the pressure. I think most men are happy with good solid bales and charge accordingly for them.

Would you keep the density up to keep your rep in tact or slacken it to keep the straw owner happy? Iv never been asked to slacken off the pressure. I think most men are happy with good solid bales and charge accordingly for them.
Is that right yeah

It’s in everybody’s interest to make solid bales as loose bales are hard to grab and stack properly. I run the baler up to the red until the buzzer goes off then drive on for another five seconds before I stop and net. At this stage the hydraulic pressure on the bale chamber is 250 bar and is as hard as is recommended to make a bale. If you want more weight in the bales and don’t mind high moistures then bale after the combine but you won’t do it a second time.

It’s in everybody’s interest to make solid bales as loose bales are hard to grab and stack properly. I run the baler up to the red until the buzzer goes off then drive on for another five seconds before I stop and net. At this stage the hydraulic pressure on the bale chamber is 250 bar and is as hard as is recommended to make a bale. If you want more weight in the bales and don’t mind high moistures then bale after the combine but you won’t do it a second time.
What tractor and baler have you?

Relief valve goes of on a mchale at 210 bar all that will happen is the door will start opening

You were never baling in a field with a guy on one side of the tractor (the seller) telling you to slacken the bales and another guy at the other side of the tractor (the buyer) telling you to tighten them. It would do your head in. There are lots of weighbridges in the country, weigh an odd load and get an average weight per bale and work away. It riles me no end to see people talking about making decent bales when they know full well they have the density set to the bare minimum. And those who shout the loudest about it are usually the worst offenders.

It's usually those same lads who bale after the combine or wont give it time to dry properly.

My motto for the straw that is sold baled here is that I sell it the same as those bales that I'll be bedding with next February so it needs to be as good as humanely possible.

All our equipment in work is calibrated yearly I’m sure the same could be done
Of course it could, but a fella buying one or two loads isn't going to calibrate anything yearly.
What you're saying is there has to be an element of thrust what I'm saying is, that in the farming game, trust is pretty much non existent.
Bale it up ol skool and haggle away

Ah not really. I just tip along nice and easy and give it plenty of time to take in the bit of hay. Output would be low enough compared to the Valtra on the same baler but in tight spaces like the garden in the above picture the 362 is a gem.
I never baled with less than 100hp and I never felt comfortable until I got to 150, never had a Krone baler though.

Ah not really. I just tip along nice and easy and give it plenty of time to take in the bit of hay. Output would be low enough compared to the Valtra on the same baler but in tight spaces like the garden in the above picture the 362 is a gem.
Same as that, here is my baling outfit from the 90s. Less power but take it handy filling the bales and she worked away. Twine was the preferred option back then.
Photo0211.jpg

I never baled with less than 100hp and I never felt comfortable until I got to 150, never had a Krone baler though.
I use to bale with a deutz 7206 {70hp) back in the Eighties . Was pulling a International 5 foot baler spitting out 6 foot bales. Those belt balers did not require a lot of power. You never baled unfit straw with it as it the baler would let you know pretty fast with belts slipping.

The winter barley was 50 % dryer this year. 10%.moisture. It should be better soakage in it giving the buyer some value. Can't see any soakage in rushes. Might cover up shit for a while. Like 15 mins. 9
Did you have difficulty getting it cut on time or it just caught you out by surprise with the moisture? 4 or 5 days earlier cut would weigh a lot more and still be under 20% moisture.

I use to bale with a deutz 7206 {70hp) back in the Eighties . Was pulling a International 5 foot baler spitting out 6 foot bales. Those belt balers did not require a lot of power. You never baled unfit straw with it as it the baler would let you know pretty fast with belts slipping.
The first round baling I did was with a Massey 450 belt baler and 62hp. Power was plenty sufficient and the bales were hard centre. But if hay wasn’t fit you could spend more time inside the baler with a knife hacking hay off the intake rollers than you would spend driving it. Great yoke to let you know it wasn’t fit. Belts would twist and hay would wrap, bad language would be common. It wasn’t until the arrival of a Claas 44 that I knew what it was like to stay in the cab until all four rolls of twine were used up.

The winter barley was 50 % dryer this year. 10%.moisture. It should be better soakage in it giving the buyer some value. Can't see any soakage in rushes. Might cover up shit for a while. Like 15 mins. 9
Won't use a rush for bedding but I've seen the finest of cattle bedded on rishes.dry and as clean as a cork.
Only difference is there made and saved the same way as hay.few teddings to dry them out.
The lads that do it right its working well
each to their own i suppose

Back