Straw Prices

I've had a few enquires about straw lately. It's always the same with some. When the combines are rolling they either want the straw for next to nothing or think it'll just be there for whenever they can bothered. Chape straw is going to be scarce.
I was beside the n80 spraying yesterday for about half an hour and 3 artics of straw went past, 2 squares and 1 rounds, and later in the day I missed a call from a western straw dealer who I only ever sold 2 loads to about 10 years ago so there's something stirring.

I was beside the n80 spraying yesterday for about half an hour and 3 artics of straw went past, 2 squares and 1 rounds, and later in the day I missed a call from a western straw dealer who I only ever sold 2 loads to about 10 years ago so there's something stirring.
I reckon that the SIM scheme have removed roughly half a million 4x4 bales, while I know they all would not have available to the market, without them there is going to be a shortage.

So what did 4x4 barley straw finish up at, off the field, not sure if it reached €20 a bale around here.

It was making €20 a bale off the field no problem around here during the harvest, though some say it did ease back a bit towards the end.

It was making €20 a bale off the field no problem around here during the harvest, though some say it did ease back a bit towards the end.
Yeah, that's what I heard, I don't sell a huge amount, a couple of hundred to the same two guys every year, I don't want to over do it, I always discount the going rate as they are regular and pay up within the same year!

Most I have talked to on this are sorry they did not put in more or entered the scheme. If people think this year is poor for straw supply wait till next....
That's why I'm not one bit pushed about selling the bit I have in the shed unless it makes good money and don't mind if I carry it over. Next year's straw is worth 2 to 3 times more to chop given fertiliser costs.

Has anyone charted fertilizer rate against yield and then look at return based on net at €500 and barley at 200/t.

What’s your opinion on what’s the economic rates for say winter barley or winter wheat?
I really am only guessing and it will depend on grain and fert prices.
My average Fert for next year will be costing me approx. Sulcan @ €350/ton and 18-6-12+S @ €450, I had some carryover stock. I think I have enough for 180kg/ha on winter wheat, 160kg/ha on winter barley, 110kg/ha on winter oats and 125kg/ha on the spring barley. I don't think buying anymore at current prices would make economic sense.
If CAN is now costing €500/ton and Barley is making €200/ton, I would be reducing NP&K rates massively, but I don't think barley can stay around €200 if CAN remains around €500, IYKWIM.
If working off those figures I would be reducing my rates by a further 15/20% front loading the applications and leaving the option to go with a further application if grain prices go mad or fert prices drop.
All only me guessing.

Bought omex 26%n on Friday at €515/t, enough for what we need next year if we spread some compound as well. It was €200 last December If the don't restart production by the end of the year there will be issues with availability in the spring I would think. We spread a good bit of poultry litter and slurry so will help on p and k requirements.

Has anyone charted fertilizer rate against yield and then look at return based on net at €500 and barley at 200/t.
If fert doesn't cool off substantially I'm of the firm opinion that cutting rates massively and making do with a 2.5 ton crop will be more profitable then pushing for 4 ton. Unless of course grains rise massively to match fert increases.
Trouble there is if grain got to 300 let's say. Fertilizer will rise again so we're no better off.

Back