Straw Prices

Wheat straw is scarce and hard come buy I am buying a bit to fill a contract but it's at a good price as I am getting a good price , buying per bale as it's fairer for everyone .

Yep, same setup here, into 8x4x4 and pay per bale.
Around here it nearly all goes to Carbery Mushrooms and the competition for straw is fierce!

Yep, same setup here, into 8x4x4 and pay per bale.

Around here it nearly all goes to Carbery Mushrooms and the competition for straw is fierce!

Any spare straw we have goes in there . Heard they were bringing in barley straw from the uk as they ran out of Wheating straw ......

You'd laugh but it's surprising the number of enquiries you'd get off lads when they see a square baler standing in a field. Although I freely admit that this year might well be the last of the Cantone, simply because of the hardship of squares. Help is needed with them but hard to come by.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit to be honest.

Tippcon will be chalking up another customer.:D:cool:

So how much is a 4x4 round bale in Wexford making? This thread went straight sideways!!! Just back from d pub and d last 2 pages just ran through me like d last pint....

Ah sure it wouldn't be the first time something like that would happen :beer:

Anyways, not much cut yet so haven't heard any prices. The NI hauliers are active though as I have seen 2/3 lorries on the M11 for the last two Friday night's.

Any spare straw we have goes in there . Heard they were bringing in barley straw from the uk as they ran out of Wheating straw ......

All the straw contractors ran out of straw full stop.
They were going to take barley straw as soon as the combines started but changed their mind.
Bringing wheat straw in from the UK in curtain siders. 20 bales per load.

All the straw contractors ran out of straw full stop.
They were going to take barley straw as soon as the combines started but changed their mind.
Bringing wheat straw in from the UK in curtain siders. 20 bales per load.

They were taken in barley straw back in the spring, it doesn't feed through the equipment properly! We were running it through the rear discharge spreaer for them but it was working out to dear! I don't no what they did after that!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

We pull a few loads over the weighbridge each year works out at around 9-10cent/kg delivered, some farmers here are just too suspicious and penny smart. I was talking to a guy a few weeks ago who wanted 600 rounds but would only pay €13 delivered I said no way its €15 I said all our straw is low moisture and well packed, he said he was buying them in for that I just asked how well packed they were and he said some of they were soft alright, so whats the point of that buying in light bales because you think you are saving when in fact you're not :rolleyes:

Jasus lads, if you's were as concerned about the main product as much as you are about the by-product :D

could do with some 8x4x4/3 of rape if anyone has them

Jasus lads, if you's were as concerned about the main product as much as you are about the by-product :D

could do with some 8x4x4/3 of rape if anyone has them

Going a bit of topic, if straw is worth €90 to €100 delivered what is barley worth?

Going a bit of topic, if straw is worth €90 to €100 delivered what is barley worth?

I was offered 16% barley ex field at 125 (@ 20% moisture to be related back) at the start of harvest. I couldnt take it as having a problem with my grain shed as I have a small bit of sweepage from a pit made at the other side of the wall coming in through a crack in the wall:no:. Price has hardened since

Mate bought year supply of imported wheat at €173 in the last week, mainland EU origin only. I taught that to be a tad high given the current market. Importers are reluctant to pass on lower imported prices so as to keep a floor on the Irish market thankfully :ohmy:

Last edited:
I was offered 16% barley ex field at 125 (@ 20% moisture to be related back) at the start of harvest. I couldnt take it as having a problem with my grain shed as I have a small bit of sweepage from a pit made at the other side of the wall coming in through a crack in the wall:no:. Price has hardened since

Mate bought year supply of imported wheat at €173 in the last week, mainland EU origin only. I taught that to be a tad high. Importers are reluctant to pass on lower imported prices so as to keep a floor on the Irish market thankfully :ohmy:
I hope the last comment was very much tongue in cheek!!!!

How far up into Meath do you come for straw

This year with the lack of wheat close to us we will have to go as far as needed.
Depends a lot on the acres, 10 acres wouldn't tempt me too far from home!
Will be up as far as Warrenstown so far, so for a decent size patch another hours drive from there would be ok I suppose.

This year with the lack of wheat close to us we will have to go as far as needed.
Depends a lot on the acres, 10 acres wouldn't tempt me too far from home!
Will be up as far as Warrenstown so far, so for a decent size patch another hours drive from there would be ok I suppose.

You must be baling in the college? There is a lot looking for wheaten this year for 8x4x4 this year. Two new outfits on the go this year too, one offering money upfront. Biggest issue with selling straw on the flat is getting it cleared quickly, and not stacked in the corner of the block of land.

Yep we'll be baling the college again this year.
Its hard to work out what way the big bale business is going- need to do a lot of bales to make any money at all, big balers are not easy to run. Yet new outfits appearing everywhere. Maybe time to go to 4x3 and persuade some cattle men that square is the new round.
Heard of a big contractor up Louth way with 6 balers! Apparently he sends 3 of them to England baling for the season.

Yep we'll be baling the college again this year.
Its hard to work out what way the big bale business is going- need to do a lot of bales to make any money at all, big balers are not easy to run. Yet new outfits appearing everywhere. Maybe time to go to 4x3 and persuade some cattle men that square is the new round.
Heard of a big contractor up Louth way with 6 balers! Apparently he sends 3 of them to England baling for the season.

Have been thinking the same myself for the last couple of years, there are no big square balers on hire around here within a 20 mile radius. The cost of getting geared up usually puts me off though, particularly for silage.

Back