Straw Prices

Discussion in 'Tillage' started by Mf240, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Masseyrk662

Masseyrk662 Well-Known Member

As I said to you the other day on the phone, 25 a bale out of the field is what it’s doing here and doing it handy too

laoisfarmer and CORK like this.
  2. Masseyrk662

The winter barley I was cutting the other day did 9 bales to the acre it was baled Dampish after the combine, the man that owns it wasn’t going to buy as I said to him If it was in that condition after a few Days rain wouldn’t you be happy. 15 acres 138 bales, baler started around 7 in evening, not a bale left by 11 o clock the following morning.

Sheebadog and CORK like this.
  3. thefarminglad

thefarminglad Well-Known Member

I got 9 bales per acre off winter barley this year V 13. 5 bales per acre last year. Two prices i have heard are 15 euro per 4x4 bale ex-field and 35 euro refused by seller for 8x4x3 ex shed

4. Mf240

Mf240 Well-Known Member

Straw stuck together is no use for anything. Not that you could do anything about it. But it would kill you trying to bed with it.

Tipp_Man and nashmach like this.
  5. Ags11

Ags11 Well-Known Member

We baled the first on Wednesday, it did 5.75 to the acre.
    15 acres was down 67 bales on last year.
    WB straw all booked, all decent men, they haven't asked the price, I dunno where to pitch it.
    It'll only get worse with short SB with a second green growth in it.
    The bulk of customers haven't appeared yet, it'll be a bit of a pantomime later on me thinks!

6. Big Vern

Big Vern Well-Known Member

Somerset all the time now ... As I'm a civvie
    Judging by the lorry loads of barley straw I've seen heading west on the A303 the past couple of weeks (heading into deepest West Country) they must be giving it away "up the road"

On a more serious note we have no barley here this year, we will fill our straw sheds but won't have much for sale for sure, all surplus will go to the baler man,

7. nashmach

nashmach Well-Known Member

And dangerous for your health as well. That's if it lasts in the shed without going on fire.

I'd go as far as saying straw bales left out for most of the winter would be in better order.

Mf240 likes this.
  8. Masseyrk662

Jesus the bales aren’t that bad, I said dampish :lol: from here on we will be lucky to get 3 dry days in a row up this side, straw is usually just baled in as best condition as can be got

Mf240 and diesel power like this.
  9. Mf240

Mf240 Well-Known Member

A couple of euros one way or the other doesn't matter to me as much as good straw. I want it for calves mostly.

Neighbour has a machine for bedding and can use straw that's stuck together a bit . But the dust would kill a small pony.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 9:54 AM
  10. Rebelman

Rebelman Well-Known Member

How are people getting on with baling straw? Nothing done here myself- no intention of touching it until I’m certain of a few good drying days together.

11. Ags11

Ags11 Well-Known Member

We're not!
    Got caught with serious rain an hour ago, deadly mess at the gap getting the combine and header out!
    Came on last run, at least alls cut!
    Made a vow I'm not going through the gate again until it properly drys!

nashmach, ithastopay and Rebelman like this.
  12. Barrowsider

Barrowsider Well-Known Member

A good portion of it on the ground here over 10 days now. Rang a few loyal customers today to break the news that best case scenario is poor quality straw, worst case is none at all. Not something I enjoyed doing.

Dunmasc likes this.
  13. Mf240

Mf240 Well-Known Member

Looks like another year for the sudocrem :lol::lol::lol:

14. nashmach

nashmach Well-Known Member

It's a pity more didn't think that way instead of trying to screw down price.

If you had a couple of sick calves God forbid from sparing, the extra vet bill would not go far....

Mf240 likes this.
  15. rustymcsocks

rustymcsocks Well-Known Member

I made 2 bales one evening and the moisture was too high for my liking.
    Weather has been shite since. Just when think it might be coming around it lashes rain followed by a couple days of fog.

16. diesel power

diesel power Well-Known Member

I've next to nothing cut yet but the bit that is cut won't be baled until god knows when and if the broken weather is going to be ongoing throughout the harvest then I'll bale up enough for myself and the few loyal customers and the rest will be blown out of the straw chopper. I've to much to be doing to be worrying about anyone who isn't worried about me.

marco, DCol, Masseyrk662 and 4 others like this.
  17. KTM Farmer

KTM Farmer Well-Known Member

I baled about 120 bales Tuesday evening, we turned it that morning. It had been cut a week and needed every bit of that time to get the green out of the straw. Moisture was 12 to 16 but rose quickly at 9 pm which stopped us. I don’t think we will bale again for a week looking at the forecast.

18. Titan 8820

Titan 8820 Well-Known Member

Its the first year in a long time that we've arrived in August and l havent made a single bale of straw yet.
    Fairly sure won't be making any the coming week either.

ithastopay likes this.
  19. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

Only had a couple of fields of winter barley. The fact that it was an earlier variety (Valerie) may have helped us on this occasion as we cut it at the start of that good week.
    I scattered the straw out with the Lely lotus and gave it 3 more passes over the following couple of days.
    Baled up as 8x4x3 and put it in the shed before the rain. Lorry lads took it the following weekend.
    Wheaten straw will go to mushrooms and most of the rape straw will be chopped. Then just spring barley straw to bale up.

MF30, rustymcsocks and KTM Farmer like this.