Straw Prices

Thanks lads a bit of a range there, some of it due to scarcity due to drought but €20 is a good price. I’m finding demand slow enough but a lot of that is due to the continuous rain preventing baling.
Phone may get busier at the weekend with the Baler moving again.

The slow demand for straw could be dew to the huge amount of grass growth at the moment , there was lots of hay made during the summer and barns are full of it and lads could be short on a few quid.

The slow demand for straw could be dew to the huge amount of grass growth at the moment , there was lots of hay made during the summer and barns are full of it and lads could be short on a few quid.
Was there much hay made in the country? Weather was hard got for hay

Thanks lads a bit of a range there, some of it due to scarcity due to drought but €20 is a good price. I’m finding demand slow enough but a lot of that is due to the continuous rain preventing baling.
Phone may get busier at the weekend with the Baler moving again.
Heard 25 a round bale today over Offaly direction. The man that told me that only had it 2nd hand himself so its accuracy may be off.

A nice bit of hay made but I'd have my doubts on the quality of a good chunk of it to be honest.
That's what I'd be thinking. We've baled stuff in the past thinking it would be grand and it heated. Would sicken ya after all the trouble. If its not right, and ya can't wait, wrap it.

Mushroom man called into yard yesterday evening offering €27 a bale for wheaten straw, he bales, pays on spot and drawn out of field off farm with chasers that day.
What do lads think?
I've no experience of ever selling 8x4x4s before,
I was baling the first field of wheat into rounds for neighbours when he called, it yielded 8 bales to acre and it had a bit of take all so I'd expect other fields to yield better.
At that the straw is worth €100/acre net to me whereas by your man's price at roughly 3 bales/acre he said its only worth €81.
It's not cut yet so I can chop as per originally planned.
How many 4x4 rounds in an 8x4x4 big square?

Mushroom man called into yard yesterday evening offering €27 a bale for wheaten straw, he bales, pays on spot and drawn out of field off farm with chasers that day.
What do lads think?
I was baling the first field of wheat into rounds for neighbours when he called, it yielded 8 bales to acre and it had a bit of take all so I'd expect other fields to yield better.
At that the straw is worth €100/acre net to me whereas by your man's price at roughly 3 bales/acre he said its only worth €81.
They are probably using the new type high density Baler so there might be a lot of straw in them . Kinsella has a spike on the front of the tractor with weigh cells on it and you could get him to weigh ten bales and get an average weight.

Reactions: Bcl
What do lads think?
Id hold out for 30 a bird in the hand and all that . Round bales make more but only if you clear them all . More work drawing them into sheds but if you have time on your side when its all sold and more importantly PAID for it can come into a nice sum .
Wheaten straw made 50 euro a bale in 2018 the last time it was really scarce so maybe its a bit cheap at 27 ??? I havent heard from my man yet but my wheat is still about ten days away but ill keep an ear to the ground . The mushroom boys only pay what the can get away with .

I have wheaten straw down 5 to 7 days. It feels dry enough to bale but when we do moisture is 18% and more. Baler man said leave it.
No such problem for mushroom straw.

Back