Straw Prices

Baling spring wheat straw and winter wheat straw today.2 bales an acre on spring winter stuff not much more only getting it dry enough now

Two Bales to the acre on some of the winter wheat . A krone Baler I think they are 8X4X3 . Only the Headlands were turned and a good part of it was on the ground since the 24th August . The spring wheat is going to be way lighter because it was badly hit by the Drought.

All the straw here has been cleared now, my aim is to get €120 per acre for the baled straw. If I dont get that price before its baled, I chop it.

How do you guys compare straw prices of square bales versus round bales of straw? i.e. how many 4x4 rounds is equivalent to big squares etc? Or smaller big squares? Probably been asked before on here.

How do you guys compare straw prices of square bales versus round bales of straw? i.e. how many 4x4 rounds is equivalent to big squares etc? Or smaller big squares? Probably been asked before on here.
I weighed a few last winter, 160 in a barley round and 320 in a 4*3*8. This year all bales seem lighter with bleached white straw but it could be my imagination.

Going by the diet feeder, the 4 x 4 rounds rarely if ever weigh more than 150kg? Thanks for explaining the rough weight of a big square. Is anyone on here using big squares in a diet feeder? Is it harder on the feeder trying to mix the squares?

I weighed a few last winter, 160 in a barley round and 320 in a 4*3*8. This year all bales seem lighter with bleached white straw but it could be my imagination.
That's a very light weight for a 8x4x3.

In wheat should be 550 in 8x4x4 and around 440 in 8x4x3. 8x4x3 are cheapest to haul as can get most tons up on a trailer. Used have a lad coming here with 66 I think 8x4x3 on artic stepframe.

In wheat should be 550 in 8x4x4 and around 440 in 8x4x3. 8x4x3 are cheapest to haul as can get most tons up on a trailer. Used have a lad coming here with 66 I think 8x4x3 on artic stepframe.
Last year the straw was very fit, 8% moisture. Maybe he's not packing them enough too :laugh:

It’s moisture dependent. You’ll struggle to get any more that 505-510kgs into 8x4x4 at 8-10%. And that’s with the newer type balers with the longer chamber. 15-22% you’ll get plenty weight. Weight and moisture should always be quoted together.

It’s moisture dependent. You’ll struggle to get any more that 505-510kgs into 8x4x4 at 8-10%. And that’s with the newer type balers with the longer chamber. 15-22% you’ll get plenty weight. Weight and moisture should always be quoted together.
Yeah, the drier straw gets, the lighter it gets. 12% will give the above weights

Last edited:
Reactions: Bcl
Not necessarily, bale density is a big thing as well. Having done 10 years driving large square balers you could halve the weight of a bale easily depending on what the farmer wanted. IE a light bale with 22 flakes in it or ram up the pressure and get 40 flakes in it.

That wheat was cut Sat and baled Sun which was a great day, it was baled with a MF 2170xd, all that straw was very low a lot of it wasn't even registering, I'd call it off once 17% starts showing on the screen consistently.

That wheat was cut Sat and baled Sun which was a great day, it was baled with a MF 2170xd, all that straw was very low a lot of it wasn't even registering, I'd call it off once 17% starts showing on the screen consistently.
Cut wheat Sunday evening 18% moisture grain and woffled Monday and tried square baling and had to abandon at 17 to 19 moisture. Whatever it is with straw this year its going up 2 to 3 % after a few days in a square bale.. I got caught with some baled at 15 it heated after a few days. Anyone waiting to buy squares below 12 will have their work cut out getting any.

Cut wheat Sunday evening 18% moisture grain and woffled Monday and tried square baling and had to abandon at 17 to 19 moisture. Whatever it is with straw this year its going up 2 to 3 % after a few days in a square bale.. I got caught with some baled at 15 it heated after a few days. Anyone waiting to buy squares below 12 will have their work cut out getting any.
You wouldn't bale squares on Monday around here, I knew Sunday was going to be the best baling day so put the pressure on him to cut it Saturday as it was bought on the flat, it was well weathered so was easy dry, the place the baler came from before me was cut the same day but wasn't near as good.

8x4x3 need to be 480kg minimum or transporters/dealers won’t touch them. We aim to have them a bit over 500kg and that straw would be around 5% moisture.
It’s a way fairer for all parties to sell by weight.

Back