Straw Prices

We weighted 4x4 bales of barley straw twice this harvest, around 180kg.
I’d have no problem selling all straw by weight,
we sell to a few customers by weight and it’s a very fair system.
There’s a lot of expense and time goes into getting straw right.
Top quality imported feeding straw
is making much more than a €100/t today.

We weighted 4x4 bales of barley straw twice this harvest, around 180kg.
I’d have no problem selling all straw by weight,
we sell to a few customers by weight and it’s a very fair system.
There’s a lot of expense and time goes into getting straw right.
Top quality imported feeding straw
is making much more than a €100/t today.

Its considerably more than €100/t.

If everything could be sold by weight a pre chopper on an 8 string 8x4x4 would be a great job. Also cut the crop with a rotary to get the straw smashed into chaff, would get some serious weights then.

Impossible to tell, you’d be mad to buy it on the flat
Particularly this year. Straw is melting going into a Baler . Neighbor has winter Barley straw on the ground and he turned it last Friday night and should have been able to bale it Saturday and he might get it today. These are farmers that have all their own gear and would mind straw and have sheds for it. It has been on the ground for six weeks of broken weather and two major storms. There is more grain coming off some fields than straw . Strong ground with compost has yielded just shy of four tonnes of spring barley and there is literally four bales/ acre off it .

I wouldn't sell straw on the flat in a year like this simply because of the bad weather. I've seen it happen where the buyer just gives up on it and your left with a mess to try plough down or end up saving and baling it yourself and then a row with the buyer because the straw was already sold at an agreed price and no-one asked you to bale it.
An awful lot of farmers haven't a clue what goes into making nice bales of a bad year like this.

The realisation that straw is scarce is finally hitting home. I have had 5 different lads on since the weekend looking for straw, but none here either, in fact only 2 regular buyers had some left and 1 man grew barley himself where he intended reseeding and the weather broke last autumn I would also be in bother myself. No money would pay you for the work involved getting straw fit and after alls done there's shag all bale's when it's eventually baled up. We got some oat straw done this evening so down to about 15 Ac of headlands and even some winter barley straw :no: which by the way was almost fit last Saturday evening when we got a shower and then a monsoon for 2 hours on Monday morning

I must admit I don't see the attraction of selling straw on the flat.

The outfarm is sold that way here for the past few years but by the bale as I see that as the fairest way to both parties and eliminates risk on both sides. It works well here.

On the home front, just finished baling this evening, I've not turned as much straw for many many years :sad:

The realisation that straw is scarce is finally hitting home. I have had 5 different lads on since the weekend looking for straw, but none here either, in fact only 2 regular buyers had some left and 1 man grew barley himself where he intended reseeding and the weather broke last autumn I would also be in bother myself. No money would pay you for the work involved getting straw fit and after alls done there's shag all bale's when it's eventually baled up. We got some oat straw done this evening so down to about 15 Ac of headlands and even some winter barley straw :no: which by the way was almost fit last Saturday evening when we got a shower and then a monsoon for 2 hours on Monday morning
Have had 4 lads on about straw the last few days and have made calls to other parts of the country where there is usually straw and there’s none about. Our straw is baling up very poorly and it’s going to hard to meet demand for straw booked. We got 2 light pieces baled yesterday and will get another block baled today which will hopefully yield better.

Seems to be plenty straw in Wexford lads, although some of it isn't yet baled I believe, had a man with a reasonable acreage ring me wondering if I was interested in taking some and he wasn't quoting ridiculous money either so I told him bring on one load and I would see how good it was. Will see when I get it. Might be more of a local surplus I suppose, seems to be a lot scarcer up the country.

In Galway yesterday a big enough grower got a silage harvester in to chop 85 acres of sb straw that was fully intended for baling, harvester got stuck in the process twice. Same man has over 100 acres left of sb to cut and I’d say the chopper be on the combine this time

In Galway yesterday a big enough grower got a silage harvester in to chop 85 acres of sb straw that was fully intended for baling, harvester got stuck in the process twice. Same man has over 100 acres left of sb to cut and I’d say the chopper be on the combine this time

Eyrecourt area?

Why did he chop it with a silage harvestor? Why not bale it in a deficit area?

Back