Straw Prices

Mf240

Well what are lads charging / paying this year.

I can get barley straw delivered to tipp for 13 in rounds or 25 in 8×4×3.

€12 for barley straw off the field around here at the minute

Rounds are 12 and 8 #4# 4 are 35 off the field in barley . All Oatin sold in big squares at 30 off the field . Wheatin straw is scarce so making the same as barley , all straw sold and buying some on ledge to fill some orders .

Friend of mine in south tipp got a call from a dealer saying he could buy barley for 5 a bale off the field, friend said he was never as insulted and told him the chopper was going on and hung up d phone. Plenty demand round here and as said wheat scarce, around 11-12 off d field I'd be thinking.

Anyone with any wheat straw in Kildare/Meath that they want cleared quickly, don't be afraid to get in touch!
I was always under the impression that here in north Kildare we were one of the main wheat growing areas, but there seems to be less this year than ever.

Anyone with any wheat straw in Kildare/Meath that they want cleared quickly, don't be afraid to get in touch!
I was always under the impression that here in north Kildare we were one of the main wheat growing areas, but there seems to be less this year than ever.

Baled or on the flat?

Surely this time for straw to be traded by the tonne so you get what you pay for any thoughts

Surely this time for straw to be traded by the tonne so you get what you pay for any thoughts

You could say the same about hay, or baled silage. It would make sense alright, but if that was the case lads wouldn't think they were getting a deal, either buying or selling. Access to weighbridges would be another drawback.

It would be, sure the difference in bale weights can be massive too and everyone fixated on buying per bale.

Like all farm to farm trading though access to properly calibrated weighbridge is an issue.

Per tonne with a moisture meter probe at hand and say +€ or -€ for each % over or under a certain figure. Dunno bout baled silage, lord knows what you could be buying there. Some serious muck baled this year in heavy land etc

You could say the same about hay, or baled silage. It would make sense alright, but if that was the case lads wouldn't think they were getting a deal, either buying or selling. Access to weighbridges would be another drawback.

I've often thought that all contracting should be by the ton. In a heavy crop it's fairer on the contractor and in a light crop it suits the farmer. Pay for what you have ifkwim.

I've often thought that all contracting should be by the ton. In a heavy crop it's fairer on the contractor and in a light crop it suits the farmer. Pay for what you have ifkwim.

It would make sense alright, but there are very few jobs you can measure the tonnage involved accurately.

A central weighbridge that lets say several contractors or farmers or both owned would sort that problem.

So you have to draw all the bales, or the loads of silage, or the loads of grain, over the weighbridge before the contractor gets paid? Who pays for the haulage?

So you have to draw all the bales, or the loads of silage, or the loads of grain, over the weighbridge before the contractor gets paid? Who pays for the haulage?

The haulage is included in the charge per ton unless the farmer has his own bridge. Thats how it was done in NM where I spent some time.

A central weighbridge that lets say several contractors or farmers or both owned would sort that problem.

It`s possible now to buy a portable weighbridge . Which is basically 2 flat plate`s that weigh you as you drive over them accurate at speed`s up 30km . Can be lifted by 2 men and will fit in the back of a landcruiser . Traffic core has started using them .

The haulage is included in the charge per ton unless the farmer has his own bridge. Thats how it was done in NM where I spent some time.

So the silage is being picked up in the field behind the yard, but the farmer has to pay to have it drawn 5 miles down the road and back again? Can't see it catching on! If the likes of the JD Greenstar system was reliable enough you could probably weigh the crop going through the harvester, but I think they're a bit away yet. [MENTION=3698]Spanner[/MENTION] would have similar ideas I think. That doesn't do anything for the bale situation either though, the man doing the baling has to have extra gear on the road to draw bales that he normally wouldn't bother with.

It`s possible now to buy a portable weighbridge . Which is basically 2 flat plate`s that weigh you as you drive over them accurate at speed`s up 30km . Can be lifted by 2 men and will fit in the back of a landcruiser . Traffic core has started using them .
At what price though? Like all technology it will always be coming down in price but I reckon the current price will be too much in a farm situation

So the silage is being picked up in the field behind the yard, but the farmer has to pay to have it drawn 5 miles down the road and back again? Can't see it catching on! If the likes of the JD Greenstar system was reliable enough you could probably weigh the crop going through the harvester, but I think they're a bit away yet. [MENTION=3698]Spanner[/MENTION] would have similar ideas I think. That doesn't do anything for the bale situation either though, the man doing the baling has to have extra gear on the road to draw bales that he normally wouldn't bother with.

Aye well thats a problem alright. No-one wants his silage drawn X amount down the road to weigh it but eventually I do think it's going to end up been charged by the weight. Farming is fast becoming automated whether farmers like it or not I think. Just look back 20 years at the machinery and technology used if ye disagree and then think 20 or 50 years into the future.

Aye well thats a problem alright. No-one wants his silage drawn X amount down the road to weigh it but eventually I do think it's going to end up been charged by the weight. Farming is fast becoming automated whether farmers like it or not I think. Just look back 20 years at the machinery and technology used if ye disagree and then think 20 or 50 years into the future.

Aye sure 20 years ago it was all MF 520 combines and Cantone square balers :whistle:

Don't know about silage by the tonne but I do reckon straw should be as it is every where else in the world, modern balers both round and square can pack, all straw should be moisture tested

Aye sure 20 years ago it was all MF 520 combines and Cantone square balers :whistle:

Well maybe nearer 30 years ago now in fairness. I'm not been smart or anything but give it another 30 years. Farming and machinery will be unrecognaisable.

Back