Straw Prices

It will be interesting over the next few years to see what effect oat “milk” will have on the market. I see flahavans are making it now
20 years ago I remember being visiting a friend in hospital and a old timer in the next bed describing how he was expecting his daughter to visit him and that how he was so badly off in the 1940's all he could afford to feed his 2 premature twin daughter was oats boiled with some drop of milk .It did the trick anyway .With all the advances in health care ,it is amazing we are back to the likes of oatmilk and we were all talking about out cod liver oil here last week as well .It shows the old crowd were a step ahead of us

They are a great company, super buyer of local oats, al though the premium for the food grade oats is very small versus feed barley or oats it’s still a great outlet and they seem tot be going from strength to strength.
Couldn’t agree more.

An example of “keeping the main thing the main thing”.

It’s great to see the next generation involved in the company too.

I no longer sell my oaten straw. All the barley straw and any wheaten straw thats required is sold but oaten is kept for bedding and the diet feeder. The cattle actually seem to prefer it over barley anyway plus you'll always sell barley straw.

What's it like for soakage DP?

Lorry man rang out of the blue during the week asking did I want straw he was coming to the area.

Took 20 bales of round at 30 each. Crazy money but this guy charged me 22 when others were looking for 25 plus last harvest so it balanced out

Straw not great but we were going to short in a few weeks and better having it instead of looking for it

What's it like for soakage DP?
I find it makes good bedding as does my brother who uses it to bed cows calving and the calves themselves after. He doesn't bother keeping barley straw anymore. In fairness barley straw is better bedding but I'd prefer the extra premium in my pocket for barley straw and use wheaten and oaten for my own use. Plus they go into the dungsted and go back out on the tillage land.

Does anyone know a fairly accurate height for a load of round 4x4 bales of straw bottom one standing vertical and upper two rows lying down?
Current trailer has a high floor but planning on buying a new one this year or next on the low profile tyres with springs underslung below the axle. Either Smyth or Broughan. Cant find a floor height on their website.
About to start a shed and trying to match an existing doorway for looks but don't want to get caught out being too low either.
TIA

Does anyone know a fairly accurate height for a load of round 4x4 bales of straw bottom one standing vertical and upper two rows lying down?
Current trailer has a high floor but planning on buying a new one this year or next on the low profile tyres with springs underslung below the axle. Either Smyth or Broughan. Cant find a floor height on their website.
About to start a shed and trying to match an existing doorway for looks but don't want to get caught out being too low either.
TIA
gonna be a good 11ft of bales

TIA
Broughan bale trailers are 46.5" on 560/45r22.5 or 42" on 445/45r19.5.
Their low loaders are 36".

TIA
Floor of current trailer is 1 metre. The one you seen. Plus 3 bales of 1.22 comes to 4.69.
The Jack Lynch tunnel is 4.6 and I wouldn't risk trying it with a load.

TIA
Put the door up as high as you can get it, you'll never regret it being to high but will when it is to low. When you're out in the car look at all the sheds you pass and you'll probably see some that have two doors with different heights and you never noticed them before.

TIA
Don't be afraid to build doorway high enough. I build loads in the same manner and 5.1m is as high as I've had a load and that was grand but a little uncomfortable on the motorway.

Floor of current trailer is 1 metre. The one you seen. Plus 3 bales of 1.22 comes to 4.69.
Would you go up the South Link road with that load? I know of a few fellows who rubbed the last bridge on that road with loads of straw. Didn’t really do any damage only tore the net on the top bales.

Would you go up the South Link road with that load? I know of a few fellows who rubbed the last bridge on that road with loads of straw. Didn’t really do any damage only tore the net on the top bales.
Yeah out the south link with ease. You can see where it has been rubbed do.
I know a lad who had 3 high on a flat artic trailer and blew the top off the front 3 bales on that bridge.

I am kicking myself that I didn’t measure your one with the load up.
I measured the bales recently and they are 1,350mm diameter, now that’s 3 months after being baled, may be tighter immediately after baling. I guess they do stretch the net once out of the chamber. That extra 130mm will sit into the the valleys anyway. So your total of say 4.7m will be fine as my door will be just about 5.0m.
Thanks lads.

Don't be afraid to build doorway high enough. I build loads in the same manner and 5.1m is as high as I've had a load and that was grand but a little uncomfortable on the motorway.
Yea crosswind on an open road could be nerve wrecking all right.
I went 3 high once only on my current old trailer and never again.
I presume your trailer is on super singles rather than 445/19.5?
Rustymcsocks load above is a good bit lower, but his trailer is well low.

Yea crosswind on an open road could be nerve wrecking all right.
I went 3 high once only on my current old trailer and never again.
I presume your trailer is on super singles rather than 445/19.5?
Rustymcsocks load above is a good bit lower, but his trailer is well low.
Yes, artic lorry on super singles. Crosswinds are one thing but it's the motorway flyovers that become more of a concern above 5.1m.

I am kicking myself that I didn’t measure your one with the load up.
I measured the bales recently and they are 1,350mm diameter, now that’s 3 months after being baled, may be tighter immediately after baling. I guess they do stretch the net once out of the chamber. That extra 130mm will sit into the the valleys anyway. So your total of say 4.7m will be fine as my door will be just about 5.0m.
Thanks lads.
Going by bale trailer length and number of bales on the floor my bales made with a welger are 1.33m.
More net I find may make them a bit smaller. Usually put 2.2 layers of net.
I measured my trailer just there and the floor is 1metre off the ground. The wheels on the trailer are 445/45 x 19.5.

While I was at it the door to the shed where I load the bales is 6.1 metres and the trailer goes in and out no bother loaded up with 4x4 3 high or 8x4x3 stacked 4 high.

4x4 barley straw out of the shed, what are ppl charging I'm near enough Clonakilty so a straw deficit area. I'm loading but not delivering. €22 is what I'm thinking. Regular customer takes a lot of straw at harvest and good to pay so want to be fair.

Back