Straw Prices

Maps & forms could get fairly messy if headlands had to be put into separate plots especially if ur not across the desk from the planner this year. Would be good if you could nominate headlands on a field plot & a percentage of the field was given according to headland width. Planner once told me that the more you sub divide plots the more area you’re going to lose.
Could they not come out with one area for all headland. Say 20m from the ditch or something and would stopp all the messing. If you chop more your loss.

IFA had a online meeting last night around growing malt and changes in boortmalt. Chopping straw was talked about and they say it will only add a small bit more to the price of bale of straw...

Had a half load of bales to sell which I popped up on DD at 10.30 this morn. 17 calls for it, is there any straw left in the country at all?
Yeah I dunno. Put up rough silage/hayledge on done deal. Suitable for bedding or feeding. Said I’d sell for €15 or €16 just cos I need them gone out of my way and not even one phone call.

There’s plenty of demand in the north. Had a call yesterday from a trucker that we’ve dealt with before looking for a back load but we’ve nothing left. Offering €40 for 8x4x3 barley.

There’ll be nothing left for next harvest, that plus a chopping scheme should create strong demand.

Fingers crossed!
Yeah I dunno. Put up rough silage/hayledge on done deal. Suitable for bedding or feeding. Said I’d sell for €15 or €16 just cos I need them gone out of my way and not even one phone call.
Most of these lads would take half hay and half straw to make up a load. There wasn’t many of them rang last February when straw was half today’s price.

Had 64 round bales delivered yesterday £42.50 each.
Had some out of brightwells online auction in january at £24 and some hay at £20, thought both was enough, looking like the straw was a bargain now!

Back