Straw Prices

I have given up buying the journal, it’s all about 4 legged animals and a page or so of tillage. What price have they put on a round bale of barley straw this year?
Slightly unfair, I actually think they have put a good bit of effort into tillage lately, for instance at least they have tillage monitor farms, they gave up the beef and sheep monitor farms

Thank you all for your kind words , its nice to have ones words compared to wordsmiths of the quality of john b or even the bold Mr potterton
No hope of a spot in the journal im afraid ,my mother always said i had a wicked tongue that was bound to get me into trouble as well as a bad habit of poking holes in sacred cows so the journal is a big no no .
The post is actually true i posted it ten minutes after the event and as im also a Dairy farmer i know that the Dairy crowd can well afford to pay MORE for their straw .
If a lot of them werent so fond of bidding silly money for land each spring then the price of a bale of straw wouldnt be such a concern . Now dont get me started or i will only head of on a tangent
Hold the line gentlemen 20 euro a bale we all have to live !!!
And remember its nothing personal just business !!!

Thank you all for your kind words , its nice to have ones words compared to wordsmiths of the quality of john b or even the bold Mr potterton
No hope of a spot in the journal im afraid ,my mother always said i had a wicked tongue that was bound to get me into trouble as well as a bad habit of poking holes in sacred cows so the journal is a big no no .
The post is actually true i posted it ten minutes after the event and as im also a Dairy farmer i know that the Dairy crowd can well afford to pay MORE for their straw .
If a lot of them werent so fond of bidding silly money for land each spring then the price of a bale of straw wouldnt be such a concern . Now dont get me started or i will only head of on a tangent
Hold the line gentlemen 20 euro a bale we all have to live !!!
And remember its nothing personal just business !!!
what county you based in?

that mean you are going to sell barley straw for less than 18 euro a bale?

Why?
I don't know why much more spring barley wasn't put into the chopping scheme, it is a no brainer to me, €100/acre + €30/40 value of returned straw. I have all my straw sold to very good customers for between €15.50 for wheat and €17 for barley and I thought I was giving them very favourable rates. What do you think straw will make?
Hard to say.wb 4x3s will be 40 a bale 20 in 4x4s
I can see massive yields of ww
Spring barley isn't too bad around us the early drillers suffered the drought.
Will depend on the weather but 15to 18 for rounds and 35 for 4x3s

Indeed ive just had a deal for this years straw with one of my biggest customers a large dairyman who we shall call " 300 and rising "
He rocked up in his brand spanking new landcruiser this morning wearing a panama hat to protect his head from the sun, looking like the man from Del Monte !!!
After wishing him well with his new motor , and listening to ten minutes of blowing about all the money he was making / all the land he was taking etc i opened play by declaring my intention to cut a bit of winter barley and as he was such a sound buyer i " could let him have it for a bargain price 22 euro a bale "
He jumped like he had just wandered into the electric fence and declared that
" its only worth 15 the disscussion group are only talking of 15 and there is no shortage " .A wail of laments then followed about poor grass growth ,poor silage cuts, the price of nuts etc ....
As i steered him towards the house for a cup of tea he commented that i had sufficent grass on the paddocks . I gave the man a stern lecture about the dangers of overstocking . ( for fucck sake these boyos should be paying me for advice not Teagasc ) Anyway over tea and the missis sponge cake i tell him that i am seriously considering putting all the straw into the chopping scheme as im fed up with the annoyance . The Dairy purist knows as much about Tillage and straw as a dog knows about his father so you can safely tell lies to them safe in the knowledge that the havent a breeze whether your telling the truth or not !!! So says i shall we say 20 or wiil i go for the chopping.?? Reluctantly the man from Del Monte says yes . Then just to take his mind off the price of straw and give him something to really WORRY about i casually remark that i hear that the spud is " in" and he is out of one of his silage rented blocks ( True but as we all know the landlord giveth and the landlord take away ) I didnt bother telling him why he was getting the road its enough to say that the owners werent fond of the smell of slurry or the exploding dock population.
300 and now falling leapt up from the table and made for the door pulling the phone out of his pocket probably to ring sly john the Auctionner to confirm the news and listen to him crying crocodile tears .
As he drove out of the yard the Mrs looked at me funny and said she was convinced i was a Hangmam in a previous life.......
Should the auctioneer not be honest John??? 😱

If spring barley straw is €15 a bale the chopping scheme should have been way over subscribed.
6.5 bales an acre by €11.50 would be €75 and still have to replace the nutrients removed.
I have to say I put a good bit of my spring barley into the scheme, after OSR, spring barley will be hardest to get the €100 by baling, I had to keep some spring barley out of the scheme for good customers, but if the scheme is run next years all spring barley will be going in.

Slightly unfair, I actually think they have put a good bit of effort into tillage lately, for instance at least they have tillage monitor farms, they gave up the beef and sheep monitor farms
Possibly has improved as I haven’t bought it in over 12 months. I also ran out of time to read it as I found far more entertainment and wisdom on here.
might just try the journal today but if they pitch a bale of barley straw at €15 that’s the end for me.

I have given up buying the journal, it’s all about 4 legged animals and a page or so of tillage. What price have they put on a round bale of barley straw this year?
I get a fleeting glance at the journal at my parents house every so often so I've no idea what price they have on straw.
I've some straw sold with no talk of money. They'll be happy to pay what ever the market value is when the time comes to paying.
I was talking to a dealer also today and his words were if we want straw we're going to have to pay the market price for it which wouldn't be like him at all.

I know i will get a minimum of 18 euro per 4x4. If for some strange reason i dont then the straw goes into one of my sheds which are all empty and next year no straw will be bought on the ledge and can put some of my own straw into scheme next year too. To build up carbon in tillage land they will increase this scheme in future. It and green crops are the only way tillage can increase carbon storage. The straw chopping scheme is a great bargaining tool when setting prices. MF 698T used it well to set his price, bravo .

It isn't sustainable to pay 30 quid a bale to throw under cattle im afraid. The move toward slats will continue and even for feeding I think people will look at other options. Winter finishing may get a little price based boost this year but that will hardly continue.

The scheme won't be in place forever, I dont know where the long term price for straw will be but I just cannot see it being above 20 quid off the field

It isn't sustainable to pay 30 quid a bale to throw under cattle im afraid. The move toward slats will continue and even for feeding I think people will look at other options. Winter finishing may get a little price based boost this year but that will hardly continue.

The scheme won't be in place forever, I dont know where the long term price for straw will be but I just cannot see it being above 20 quid off the field
Chopping straw will become the norm, all about building carbon in the soil now going forward. Not going to be a short term fab. Tillage guys have very little choice on other ways to build carbon. Going to be tough on guys in the West with straw over-priced by the time it reaches there and peat production for bedding been curtailed. Bloody World gone crazy.

We are being told that straw will be €30 per bale delivered in these parts. You can buy the finest of hay from dublin at €30 per bale delivered this week and local hay for €25. My baling contractor says that he is baling a world of "rushy hay" that lads intend using for bedding.
I hear what you are saying , but hay and straw are totally different products and whatever about throwing rushes and peat under big cattle calving cows and bedding calves is a different matter .
My vet who hails from the west never ceases to be amazed at how many farmers in this a big tillage area with any gods amount of available straw skimp on the calving bedding and calf sheds . Then the are struck with calf pneumonia and mastitis in freshly calved cows . A box o 20 mastitis tubes is 70 euro and the penalties for high cell count milk soon give the milk cheque a trim .
He reckons as a rough rule that every Dairy cow needs 2 bales of good dry straw one bale to eat when she is dry the other to bed her for the calving week .
Onother bale at least to rear the heifer calf .
He says many good cows end up in the knackers from been rushed onto concrete to soon after calving to " save straw " . Penny wise and pound foolish is alive and well im afraid .
Here the cubicle house has mattresses and auto scrapers and is clean airy and spacious . There is a straw bedded shed for cows close to calving and another straw shed for cows after foot trimming and calving When the cows rotate back to the cubicles the will try to get back to the straw shed . That tells me which the prefer !!!
The vet reckons that even at 20 euro a bale its tremendous value when you think about it .
All cereal growers are after is a decent shake its a tough racket to make a living at and of course if anybody feels that the are been robbed blind for straw at 20 a bale then the are of course welcome to give grain growing a go its still kinda a free country i think ...... And of course a walk on the other fellas side of the road can prove very enlightening !!!

I have sympathy for anyone who has to pay over €25 for straw, but have none for those that are claiming it isn't worth €15, but that is a hard circle to square.
Is it though I think you’ve squared it well there !! In my view 20 is a fair price for regular no hassle customers off the field and 22 is not unreasonable asking price for one offs.

Back