Suckler and dry stock - stocking rates

jay gatsby

Wondering what kind of rates lads are stocked at around the country on dry stock farms. I mean across all grassland now not grazing platforms and that craic.

I wouldn't consider us too heavily stocked but I see on icbf we are working out at roughly 2 LU/Ha. We are only on a small scale of course but just said I'd compare with what others are at

Wondering what kind of rates lads are stocked at around the country on dry stock farms. I mean across all grassland now not grazing platforms and that craic.

I wouldn't consider us too heavily stocked but I see on icbf we are working out at roughly 2 LU/Ha. We are only on a small scale of course but just said I'd compare with what others are at

Approximately 1.3 lu/ha is where we are at in Leitrim.

We are at 2 on the galway farm. Not over stocked. I think there's room for some improvement there too with drainage, reseeding and better soil fertility management.

Flawed measure in my view.

Kg/ha is a better measure.

It is too binary around age bands. 70%+ of stock here are finished before their second birthday.

Flawed measure in my view.

Kg/ha is a better measure.

It is too binary around age bands. 70%+ of stock here are finished before their second birthday.
Well they are all flawed really, you could have a go of heavy cattle getting a lot of meal that would throw the kg figure a long way out too but I don't mind which measure is used. I'll dig out our kg figure later for comparison

Well they are all flawed really, you could have a go of heavy cattle getting a lot of meal that would throw the kg figure a long way out too but I don't mind which measure is used. I'll dig out our kg figure later for comparison

I'm only trying to create a row!!

I appreciate where you are coming from.

I'm only trying to create a row!!

I appreciate where you are coming from.
Ah its only for a bit of discussion really. Icbf compares you with top third and bottom.third nationally on a number of metrics but just on here you get a better flavour for the real situation on the ground. That and people are familiar with lu/ha from the dairy side I suppose

Back