tail and back clippers

massey 6480

Anyone know of an electric clipper`s that would be up to the job . Use cattle clipper`s at work but the teeth are too fine to handle heavy dirt . Often wondered would sheep shear`s be able for it as they have bigger teeth .

Anyone know of an electric clipper`s that would be up to the job . Use cattle clipper`s at work but the teeth are too fine to handle heavy dirt . Often wondered would sheep shear`s be able for it as they have bigger teeth .

I'll speak to the dairy boys at work, they use electric clippers for doing the tails but I think they change the blades when doing it.

A word of warning on the electric clippers, friend of mine lost an eye to one of them while clipping cow tails, she gave a buck and the running clipper hit him in the eye.http://www.connachtagri.ie/index.ph...&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6 Not cheap but what price for an eye.

Looking for one that would cut a strip down the along the back`s of the bullock`s before we treat them for lice when putting them in the slat`s for the winter and also give their tail`s a trim . Have heard it also helps prevent them sweating as much in the shed . :001_unsure:

Unserrated kitchen knife is what we use here.

Works well.

Just don't do my since deceased neighbour on it, can remember as a young chap he would want to get the last piece off and most times end up blooding them!

Unserrated kitchen knife is what we use here.

Works well.

Just don't do my since deceased neighbour on it, can remember as a young chap he would want to get the last piece off and most times end up blooding them!

Need to be careful with a knife .Seen a lad nearly slice his finger off one day using his penknife to trim a tail. Cow flicked her tail cut him to the bone .:oops:

I'll speak to the dairy boys at work, they use electric clippers for doing the tails but I think they change the blades when doing it.

there is a special set of blades to do tails,have a heiniger clippers here and the blades are called dirty cattle blades (very original) they were not with the clippers when i bought it and the set that came with it were useless at dirty tails

Looking for one that would cut a strip down the along the back`s of the bullock`s before we treat them for lice when putting them in the slat`s for the winter and also give their tail`s a trim . Have heard it also helps prevent them sweating as much in the shed . :001_unsure:

Dad did there backs here last year when i was away and we would definitly say there was a difference alright!

:001_smile:

Pretty much all of ours get a strip down there backs done before housing.

there is a special set of blades to do tails,have a heiniger clippers here and the blades are called dirty cattle blades (very original) they were not with the clippers when i bought it and the set that came with it were useless at dirty tails

That'll be them I would think, haven't paid much attention but I was sure they have a different set of clippers for the tails.

Had the same one`s here i think , didn`t last too long tho . Anyone know of an electric clipper`s that would be up to the job . Use cattle clipper`s at work but the teeth are too fine to handle heavy dirt . Often wondered would sheep shear`s be able for it as they have bigger teeth .

They work fine here. We have an arm mounted on top of the crush and hang the machine on there, then it swings to either side of the beast for belly clipping etc. The flex can be a pain, but works all the same.

glanbia usually have an offer on clippers at this time of year its where i got my heiniger for around 300 i think

What make of clippers would you recommend . Seen this one is recommended for sheep or dirty cattle price on the high side though http://pedigreecattle.ie/sheep/sheep-clippers/heiniger-sheep-dirty-cattle-clipper

What we use is an old sheep shearing engine, with the flexible drive shaft down, to be honest it would probably be cheaper and easier to handle than one of those hand held lumps, once your used to a hand piece their easy to control, can turn the to the angle you want just by softening your grip and letting them slide round.
And the hand held ones can get warm, plus very real chance of slicing through the cable!!

You could pick up an old one for very little, and will last forever with little maintenance! Just look after the hand piece with some oil and the like.

http://www.lister-shearing.com/shearing-equipment/nexus-qr.php like this one, except much much older!

Was speaking to the dairy lot today, they just use the normal clippers with blades specially designed for dirty cattle, they have a few sets so just leave one setup for tails.

i thought it best to move this conversation in here, for it was going to get lost in the other thread.:thumbup:

Post 6067 its starts there [MENTION=324]tinman[/MENTION]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Back