Teagasc inspection

They are running a similar programme in our catchment area and their initial survey found the river was clean from below the sewer discharge in rathoe to the water pumping station in Sion cross. šŸ¤„šŸ¤„šŸ¤„
Aside from the Gerrymandering of the results the area is largely tillage.
Tillage farmers are the good guys.

Its the CC doing it around here - one Dairy lad down the valley from me is getting alot of attention cos back in the day his dad culverted a stream when building sheds etc. that are now part of his milking platform including slurry storage etc. Not an ideal situation but in fairness to him he has takin steps when the CC pointed out that there was an issue with Dairy washings getting into the water course. I guess the next move is to fence all the water courses on the place too

Its the CC doing it around here - one Dairy lad down the valley from me is getting alot of attention cos back in the day his dad culverted a stream when building sheds etc. that are now part of his milking platform including slurry storage etc. Not an ideal situation but in fairness to him he has takin steps when the CC pointed out that there was an issue with Dairy washings getting into the water course. I guess the next move is to fence all the water courses on the place too
County council, doing them visits around here as well.
Had a visit from two environmental officer's during the summer.
They visited every farm in the locality. Look the miss nothing, most of their interest was in relation to the use of sprays for weed control (rushes).
Not confrontational, more advisory.

Its the CC doing it around here - in fairness to him he has takin steps when the CC pointed out that there was an issue with Dairy washings getting into the water course. I guess the next move is to fence all the water courses on the place too
Issues with dairy washings getting into the river, thats out and out pollution with intent and show deserve a court appearance

Dairy f
Glad you are not a CC inspector, you would half the farmers in the country locked up for farting.
I think most farmers would agree dairy washings going into a stream isn't acceptable. Most dairy farmers can well afford to put their house in order. Those that don't are the reason we are facing tighter and tighter regulation.

I have my own dairy washing tank and everything on my farm is above board and no livestock expansion is done without housing and tanks in place first. I converted a straw shed into a straw bedded livestock shed for this winter and the fall is to the back of the shed with a drain into a tank outside the shed.

I never said rules are not there for a reason but some inspectors can be more serious than others.

But your happy to see other farmers intentionally polluting away without reproach.

No farm is perfect, but there are minor issues that a "consultation" will help the community along with and there is having washings going into a stream. Thats conviction time
Not defending farm pollution, but I would like to see the same sanctions when hormones, heavy metals, dangerous chemicals and effluent are been discharged on a very regular basis, and still the tests come back perfect.

But your happy to see other farmers intentionally polluting away without reproach.

No farm is perfect, but there are minor issues that a "consultation" will help the community along with and there is having washings going into a stream. Thats conviction time
I am in no way happy to see other farmers polluting. It disgusts me, i just said i would not like to see you as a inspector as you come down very hard here when there is so much as a mention of slurry spreading or any other activity that could potentially cause pollution. Never said and i repeat i never said that i disagree with you.

So all went well,she was very friendly and approachable.saw no problems that I need to address which is good,alluded to the fact that I am understocked and that I don't spread much fertilizer. The problem in the drain is coming from one or some neighbors as it's phosphorus contamination in the water. Suggested that I move some water troughs further away from the drains.that was about it.

So all went well,she was very friendly and approachable.saw no problems that I need to address which is good,alluded to the fact that I am understocked and that I don't spread much fertilizer. The problem in the drain is coming from one or some neighbors as it's phosphorus contamination in the water. Suggested that I move some water troughs further away from the drains.that was about it.
Of course there is no Phosphorous in domestic sewage so it has to be farmers.
Good to see they aren't being paid to jump to conclusions and spread information that they don't even know yet, but are well on their way to getting evidence of.

Of course there is no Phosphorous in domestic sewage so it has to be farmers.
Good to see they aren't being paid to jump to conclusions and spread information that they don't even know yet, but are well on their way to getting evidence of.
Sorry,I should add that she said several private houses approx 3km from me (further along the line of the same stream) have been served notice to sort out their septic tanks which have clearly been piped into drains

From what she said,people have been out testing along the river and streams/drains in my land already.first I heard of it. Don't think they need to tell me they are coming.

Back