The €10k tractor...

josh

Moderator/IT Guy
If you had only €10k to spend on a tractor, what would it be?

A reliable, economical to run main tractor on a small holding.

Massey Ferguson 290 or Zetor 7711/7745
So many options really, A 135 may even fit the bill.

If 2wd would do, a Ford 6610.

If 4wd, probably a Case IH 885XL.

Most very clean examples of late 80s classics are now over your budget in 4wd.

A neighbours looking for something similar,he’s a tree surgeon so wants something with a loader and fit to travel,for him it’s a tall order really.

I would be looking towards a Mf 265/290 or an early 300 that might need tidying
Try to avoid rust prone/full of fillers tractors
Much easier do mechanical work than be patching up rot

What type of work would you want it to do, HP you think would suit? Nash mentioned 4wd 885XL, unless you had a real need of 4wd a 2wd might suit.

2wd would be fine, no real need for 4wd. Say 70 - 90 hp.

What are the older Renault's like? Steer clear or worth a look?

be rare to find a clean 4wd 7810 under that money. or even a 7610 for that matter. could get a good 2wd though

It’s got the later quad mod gearbox and looks straight enough. Tyres are a consumable so could always be changed for second hand set in time. Looks straight enough but will be 40k and a modern enough gearbox ...

15,000 hrs probably but most tractorS In that budget will have a sight of work done anyway.
lot depends on how it sounds and drives.

a zetor 7711 or something along those lines , You pay too much of a premium for a MF as depreciation is so small , thats fine if thats your biggest priority of course

It’s got the later quad mod gearbox and looks straight enough. Tyres are a consumable so could always be changed for second hand set in time. Looks straight enough but will be 40k and a modern enough gearbox ...

15,000 hrs probably but most tractorS In that budget will have a sight of work done anyway.
lot depends on how it sounds and drives.
Its a tractor that could tell a few stories though Id say.
Missing panels, Dual power decals, TS gearknob, tyres green and cobwebs inside..

I can’t post the link...

Valtra 6400. Year 2000. 8k hrs.
Quicke loader.

The advert is on Agriaffaires.

Attachments

• 7747715C-98C2-49E1-A4E9-11CCC8C354AA.png
    7747715C-98C2-49E1-A4E9-11CCC8C354AA.png
    4 MB · Views: 70
  • 767B5A75-4F54-4336-A1EE-2C36FB6916EA.png
    767B5A75-4F54-4336-A1EE-2C36FB6916EA.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 70
  • 4D958F61-BA34-472C-890C-C1B151C390C8.png
    4D958F61-BA34-472C-890C-C1B151C390C8.png
    4 MB · Views: 62
  • A15F8D6E-179A-48D1-8F71-6C7E4EA30FEE.png
    A15F8D6E-179A-48D1-8F71-6C7E4EA30FEE.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 69
I think at the age and price range, you have to be very picky on condition and how "genuine" a tractor is. I don't mind doing some mechanical work as it doesn't really phase me but don't want a ball of dirt either.

For 10k euro inc vat theres not a massive choice on the market currently.

I think a 290 or AP cabbed 6610 would be high on my shopping list if I was looking for something to get up on and work.

You should get a clean enough 885 too for the money.

Anything you buy at that money will be a lottery so to my mind parts availability and price are very important, and equally important is tyres. They've gotten so dammed expensive these days that a full set of new ones could be a significant proportion of the purchase price you're looking at.

The only downside to buying something like a Renault or deutz at this end of the market would be a fear around parts availability to keep going on a budget.

A quick scan of donedeal from 9 to 11k doest reveal many gems, I think this would nearly be my pick.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massy-ferguson-290/26284491

Infinite parts availability, all glass, tin and trim looks intact and a good set of tyres.

For 10k euro inc vat theres not a massive choice on the market currently.

I think a 290 or AP cabbed 6610 would be high on my shopping list if I was looking for something to get up on and work.

You should get a clean enough 885 too for the money.

Anything you buy at that money will be a lottery so to my mind parts availability and price are very important, and equally important is tyres. They've gotten so dammed expensive these days that a full set of new ones could be a significant proportion of the purchase price you're looking at.

The only downside to buying something like a Renault or deutz at this end of the market would be a fear around parts availability to keep going on a budget.

A quick scan of donedeal from 9 to 11k doest reveal many gems, I think this would nearly be my pick.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massy-ferguson-290/26284491

Infinite parts availability, all glass, tin and trim looks intact and a good set of tyres.
If you do buy I have the drawbar attachment for one here looking forward for a good home.

2wd would be fine, no real need for 4wd. Say 70 - 90 hp.

What are the older Renault's like? Steer clear or worth a look?
The older renaults will have mwm engine which is good and light on diesel, 2wd will be 30k, some de 4wd will be 40k. Gearbox on bigger models bit of soft spot.
There is nice 103 14 on donedeal, mite be worth look. It be a heavy 90hp tractor So depends what size or jobs tractor needed for

Back