The auction thread.

So did you bid online unseen? I was looking online and thought that they looked good value, must be a big saving on new price now?
I do know a broughan 24ft tri axle costed 32k+vat last year. Grain/ silage trailer, passive rear steering and air brakes. I'll leave what other specd trailers cost up to ye based on that price. Came across a 2 year old 20ft broughan silage trailer on DD a few days ago. Swinging tailgate and air brakes. was 17500 for it

Thats the very first model MF30 launched, as basic as they come. The rubbers may be inside the box as thats where they're usually stored. Rubber pipes long and short are available new here.
there,s a field of spring barley sowed beside me here with a 200k tractor and 60k sower i,m guessing and 4 coulters blocked for the whole field , lads sowed with mf 30s with no sensors or electronics and never had a miss but it seems beyond the lads nowadays , last year the same contractor sowed that field and 2 coulters were blocked :ohmy:

there,s a field of spring barley sowed beside me here with a 200k tractor and 60k sower i,m guessing and 4 coulters blocked for the whole field , lads sowed with mf 30s with no sensors or electronics and never had a miss but it seems beyond the lads nowadays , last year the same contractor sowed that field and 2 coulters were blocked :ohmy:
One of the great designs of the mf30 is that you can see each metering unit feeding out the seed and if there's a blockage it can be seen straight away providing that you're looking at it. Only common part to give trouble was the driver.

Too lazy to get down and check the pipes in case they dirty their runners.
i thought modern sowers would have sensors on the pipes to alert the driver when pipes block ? i know nothing about the workings of the newer stuff, to make things worse for the owner the headlands have all scalded and it looks like it will have to be resown completely

That's the problem in your first sentence, buying a €60k sower😱 who on earth thought that would work? Did they not know that all the big operations have drills that cost €100k nowadays and some of them have 2 or three of these drills!

That's the problem in your first sentence, buying a €60k sower😱 who on earth thought that would work? Did they not know that all the big operations have drills that cost €100k nowadays and some of them have 2 or three of these drills!
are they really that expensive ? i thought i was exagerrating by stating 60k, how much extra would a crop sown with one of them yield compared to a fred flinstone massey 30 :confused:

are they really that expensive ? i thought i was exagerrating by stating 60k, how much extra would a crop sown with one of them yield compared to a fred flinstone massey 30 :confused:
Some of the good drills would be sowing 100 acres in a day but they need to be checked for blockages or even the meter wheel not turning . The Kockerling has more than 20K acres sown and a 3 meter Vaderstad had 10K acres in four years . You are not going to cover those acres with a Massey 30 .
Sowing 10 acres an hour you could have five acres sown if you were checking it every half hour .

As said already, the driver was to lazy to get down and check. When I was using the MF30 I constantly looked back to check all was well and with the onepass now the brother or myself whoever is following it gets down every so often and check none of the coulters are blocked.

Would check the drill at least once a fill, a good bit of meat on the tips helps, & you get to know the ground, as to weather it is likely to block or not.
Old 4 meter we had had a habit of blocking for no reason, just randomly & then would clear itself. got to the bottom of it in the end, we ran out of seed one spring & my father got some from god knows where, tipped the first bag in & it was full of small stones, so put the rest through a sieve, man musta had it on an old stone floor.

Turned out a wee bit of slate had caught in the seed pipe lengthways, & would move a bit & block then move again & let the seed pass, took 3 years to figure that 1 out....

An uncle of mine was setting a 13 acre field with a drill that had 13 pipes. A bit of a bag when loading the drill blocked one of the pipes. He often said that he only set 12 acres in the field that year.
I got a good lesson early on with the air drill.....

BIL was getting some C1 seed for someone, we were still saving our own seed at the time so I convinced my father to get enough to drill a 14 acre field, then we would have good C2 seed of our own.

Drilled it with the 4 meter air drill on the 856 on the combine wheels, hit a wet hole on the first time round & had to lift & rock her back & forward to get out, just carried on drilling after that.

Drilled the field & going round the first lap of the next one was trailing a bit of a whin branch, when I lifted noticed no seed, got out to check & 8 pipes were blocked, from the first round of the last field, wern't even in 1 place on the drill, right across her, ended re-drilling the first field with home saved seed, so lost the C1 seed & didn't even have tramlines after.

At the auction in macroom. Mf 6290, front links, bar axle, new rear tyres front were well worn, 7500hrs, needed a tidy up, 15k for it. 860 fermec JCB/volvo headstock, rear quick attach, few buckets with it, dung fork and a McHale handler with a missing tine, 6600hrs, 14.5k subject to owner review

At the auction in macroom. Mf 6290, front links, bar axle, new rear tyres front were well worn, 7500hrs, needed a tidy up, 15k for it. 860 fermec JCB/volvo headstock, rear quick attach, few buckets with it, dung fork and a McHale handler with a missing tine, 6600hrs, 14.5k subject to owner review
Am I wrong or do those prices sound low?

Am I wrong or do those prices sound low?
For the 6290 i thought it was but that's what it sold at. Turned to my old lad and said to sell the 7810 when the auctioneer was hovering around the 14k mark for a while. As things go with auctions, mechanically idk what the tractor was like. Cosmetically it need a front grille, lights, a good polish and had a few rusty spots on the roof. Looked genuine enough. Also I'm not sure on what the fees and all that are after

Back