The climate Bill.

There's a company over here pushing miscanthus now.
Lad in the east of the country tried making logs from miscanthus. He sent me several packs to trial in my gasifying boiler. It was a disaster. There was so much ash that it flowed out the door when you opened it for a refill. It might be useful for bedding but not good for burning.

Reactions: Paw
Lad in the east of the country tried making logs from miscanthus. He sent me several packs to trial in my gasifying boiler. It was a disaster. There was so much ash that it flowed out the door when you opened it for a refill. It might be useful for bedding but not good for burning.
A person who does the purchasing for a brand of hardware shops, told me there was no way they would buy Irish wood stove pellets just to much trouble with them, I assume there just not dry enough

Because ultimately they are useless in regards to how much power we need to produce. A fairly large one cost 2m and produces a megawatt, and requires a couple few hundred acres to feed it.
How come they are so popular all over Europe, or are our boys in Government smarter than we think. I know nothing about the efficiency of them only that it's the only renewable source that could be controlled, wind and solar are both variable where as the AD plant once you have a feedstock you can guarantee power

How come they are so popular all over Europe, or are our boys in Government smarter than we think. I know nothing about the efficiency of them only that it's the only renewable source that could be controlled, wind and solar are both variable where as the AD plant once you have a feedstock you can guarantee power
Because what else are you supposed to use as green power that can be turned on and off at will? Now that climate change is a global emergency anything can be justifiable even when it doesn't work.
That's the issue we are facing right now.

Nuclear, that is all
True but the waste from nuclear makes our CO2 emissions look positively cheerful. You gotta remember whatever comes out of a nuclear reactor will be dangerous for a hundred thousand years with no way of combating it.
Imagine the poor bastards that forget where we buried it and come upon it in 10000 years.

Is offshore turbines not the way forward?
A lot of the good inland sites are already used and people want green energy but yet object to solar/windfarms.
Offshore would take away a lot of that hassle.

Last edited:
How about this argument for the Greens:
A 50% cull in dogs and cats?
Must be serious carbon emissions & methane linked to household pets

Or a more popular one:
A 75% cull in fecking deer and badgers

A lot of the good inland sites are already used and people want green energy but yet object to solar/windfarms.
Offshore swluld take away a lot of that hassle.
What happens when the wind stops blowing?

You need more reliable power, the interconnectors to France is the way to go. I think there is some tie in with a nuke plant over there for the interconnector we have currently.

Offshore swluld take away a lot of that hassle.
The wind power varies and the sheer amount needed is colossal for unreliable power production.

What happens when the wind stops blowing?

You need more reliable power, the interconnectors to France is the way to go. I think there is some tie in with a nuke plant over there for the interconnector we have currently.
Gas I suppose and the possibility of being able to import/export power with a interconnector.
The wind power varies and the sheer amount needed is colossal for unreliable power production.
Possibly but the west coast of Ireland has some of the best wind speeds in Europe so it would be foolish not to make use of it. You would wonder sometimes though at some of the inland sites in the Midlands.

Any solutions so @jcb411abuser or do we just accept mankind is f*cked
Pretty much if you believe that humans are infact affecting climate change at all.
The figures are there online, we have 5000MW capacity of wind turbines currently, 33% of power one year from wind 22% the year before, the calm weather during this summer will reduce the output this year.
We don't get reliable sun for solar and our total installed capacity is 10000MW which would need 10000 large AD plants to act as fail safes if you had a calm overcast week.
And we are increasing power demand every year.
We don't use coal and gas just because its profitable, its because it works and works reliably.

What is the reason for not harnessing tidal, is the scale of what would be needed too big, it would run 24/7/365.

Well one thing for sure about the Biogas it provides plenty of employment for people in agriculture. They used to tell me the emissions it produces are balanced by growing the crops to feed it in a minimum tillage way

Back