The climate Bill.

It doesn't say much for farm lobbying either when it takes an IBEC warning to make the press.
While I might not have agreed with them all the time, 10-15 years ago the IFA was a formidable professional lobbying organization who's ability to influence policy was the envy of many farm organisations in europe. but I don't know does anyone take them seriously any more?

While I might not have agreed with them all the time, 10-15 years ago the IFA was a formidable professional lobbying organization who's ability to influence policy was the envy of many farm organisations in europe. but I don't know does anyone take them seriously any more?

The pay scandal was a classic case of shooting ones self in the foot and as I said at the time it would ultimately be farmers who would be paying for it. I was not far wrong.

The pay scandal was a classic case of shooting ones self in the foot and as I said at the time it would ultimately be farmers who would be paying for it. I was not far wro

The pay scandal was a classic case of shooting ones self in the foot and as I said at the time it would ultimately be farmers who would be paying for it. I was not far wrong.
Who shot who in the foot do you mean exactly?
A lack of trust developed between farmers and what they saw as elite leaders removed from everyday farm problems I think .
This left an opening for beef plan and others to jump in to .
Overall ,the big number of organizations is diluting negotiating power
We have been divided and conquered to a point.

I'll stick this here instead of starting a thread, how can 55kg of diesel have a carbon footprint of 177 kg of CO2IMG_20220108_162510.jpg

A lack of trust developed between farmers and what they saw as elite leaders removed from everyday farm problems I think .
I am a member of the IFA, my father was involved in setting it up and a life time member, I am also the first admit I do not get involved enough to have any say in how it is run and would not like to have a go at any of the very many volunteers. I agree with you on the fracturing of farming organisations is very bad for farmers and was probably the aim of some in government/civil service.
But Smyth turning the IFA into an agent to sell his deals with electric and mobile phone companies was the IFA shooting itself in the foot. I had to get them to remove my phone from their calling list because for 4 or 5 years the only calls I was getting from the IFA were "Cold calls" trying to sell me electricity of phone services.

I'll stick this here instead of starting a thread, how can 55kg of diesel have a carbon footprint of 177 kg of CO2View attachment 101699
It is wrong, but not by as much as you think, I did my own "fag box" calculations and came up with 140kg of CO2, but when I looked it up it is actually 146 kg of CO2 from 55.05 litres or 46kg of diesel. Each litre of diesel weighs 0.832kg of which 0.72kg is pure carbon, but when burning it needs 1.92kg of Oxygen so produces 2.64kg of CO2, they probably using a "CO2 equivalent" for the rest of the pollutants produced bring it up the figure used of 3.22kg/litre of diesel?

Last edited:

You have hit exactly on what I meant by shooting in the foot. Leaders shooting the organisation in the foot and therefore underming who they were working for.

Elite leaders in trusted positions, Maybe too much power?, Maybe a lack of independent governance?, moving too far from what the organisation was about.

And then this was projected on the news for days on end, leading to a poor image for the organisation in general and greatly diminishing It's standing with them and policy makers.

Agree completely with your last few points and that's very clear from the latest cap negotiations or should I say dictated from the minister.

One of the local quarries produces 150 K tonnes of C02 . I think the world will get greener and I wonder how much of the higher yields now being produced are from higher C02 .
Did a bit of googling before, optimal is somewhere around 700-900 I think. The former leader of Greenpeace reckons if we hadn't started burning fossil fuels we would be in an ice age due to the ever reducing co2 in the air.

Back