The grazing season

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread or not but I'm curious as to what peoples opinions are on grazing fodder crops?, we always put in a paddock of rape to graze heifers and to start calved cows off in the spring before grass, it would only be 3 or 4 acres and we have enough cubicles and straw bedding for housing so were not outwintering animals on it or anything, the only issue I have is Things can get messy in wet conditions and your tying up potential grazing ground. Its always worked well for us but were wondering is it worth it

humungus

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread or not but I'm curious as to what peoples opinions are on grazing fodder crops?, we always put in a paddock of rape to graze heifers and to start calved cows off in the spring before grass, it would only be 3 or 4 acres and we have enough cubicles and straw bedding for housing so were not outwintering animals on it or anything, the only issue I have is Things can get messy in wet conditions and your tying up potential grazing ground. Its always worked well for us but were wondering is it worth it
i personally hate the sight of cattle grazing fodder crops in winter, did it in 2018 the year of the fodder shortage and i still have nightmares about it, got me out of a hole that year but by the time i paid the psychiatrist it ended up expensive :smile:

haha thanks for your reply. your not wrong about that. when you go for them to bring them in the evening and see them standing in sh!t I often think what am I at. Were thinking we might give it a skip next year and see how we get on. like I say its only small acreage and usually heifers grazing it by day only so I think well do fine without it