The grazing season

Has anyone spread fertilizer yet? Prior to the increase in fertilizer 2 years ago, I would always be spreading half a bag of urea to the acre at this time, but I have never seen ground as wet as it is now. Lucky to have some dry land that could be travelled. This year, above all years, i have a slight change in system so i want to try to be on point from very early on. It’s very hard to know what sort of weather will come in the next fortnight. Just wondering if it’s worth pushing on and spreading?
If I had time and got a good drying day I would go on some field, I’m using liquid and a trailed sprayer, so need it a touch drier.

At 5am this morning Air temperature was 11 degrees. Soil temperature is nearly 3 degrees above normal. I would be going if you can travel with doing damage. Use a decent concentration of sulphur with the N

If I had time and got a good drying day I would go on some field, I’m using liquid and a trailed sprayer, so need it a touch drier.

At 5am this morning Air temperature was 11 degrees. Soil temperature is nearly 3 degrees above normal. I would be going if you can travel with doing damage. Use a decent concentration of sulphur with the N
That's my thinking when I see soil temperature so high. I'm lucky to have some dry ground in Galway that I could travel on to spread fertilizer if I got a dry day or 2 so I might push on and get it done.

Very dry ground here but even that is very wet .fertiliser in the yard ready to go .be another week now .we can't afford any f up with the catchment in the spotlight nationally

Has anyone spread fertilizer yet? Prior to the increase in fertilizer 2 years ago, I would always be spreading half a bag of urea to the acre at this time, but I have never seen ground as wet as it is now. Lucky to have some dry land that could be travelled. This year, above all years, i have a slight change in system so i want to try to be on point from very early on. Its very hard to know what sort of weather will come in the next fortnight. Just wondering if its worth pushing on and spreading?
Ya spread urea on half milking platform and some outside land. Some slurry and dairy washings spread also. Regrowth on anything grazed is good.

Has anyone spread fertilizer yet? Prior to the increase in fertilizer 2 years ago, I would always be spreading half a bag of urea to the acre at this time, but I have never seen ground as wet as it is now. Lucky to have some dry land that could be travelled. This year, above all years, i have a slight change in system so i want to try to be on point from very early on. Its very hard to know what sort of weather will come in the next fortnight. Just wondering if its worth pushing on and spreading?
No not yet and usually would have some out, but the last couple of yrs we are spreading less fert earlier in the yr. Grass is flying along and paddocks that got slurry are doing better again. We will probably go graze and spread a bag of urea then.

Anyone chance grazing now with the few dry days forecast?

I got some lighter lads out on a reseed, still a bit soft so I'll check it daily and see how it goes.

Finally got ot dry enough to spread half a bag of urea to the acre. Very surprised at how dry my good ground actually is. I did test some of the poorer ground and it wasn't a success but hopefully of things aren't washed out altogether I'll be able to get some cattle moving to grass in the next 2 weeks.

20240309_153022.jpg

Anyone chance grazing now with the few dry days forecast?

I got some lighter lads out on a reseed, still a bit soft so I'll check it daily and see how it goes.
All the weanlings were let out here on Saturday - surprised how it had dried in a few days. It's still tender under foot but they'll be fine if the weather plays ball. Plenty of grass available in all fields thankfully but had to get the silage ground grazed off first for slurry in another fortnight all going well.

All the weanlings were let out here on Saturday - surprised how it had dried in a few days. It's still tender under foot but they'll be fine if the weather plays ball. Plenty of grass available in all fields thankfully but had to get the silage ground grazed off first for slurry in another fortnight all going well.
Made a mistake letting lads out on the reseed, straight back in Saturday morning. 🙈

Too soft, was hoping to cut silage off it this year but I'll let it tiller out for the year instead.

Same deal here with the silage ground, got the few suckler cows out to graze it off and slurry as soon as the ground allows.

Had the same thing with a reseed myself last spring - let them out, heavy rain came, back in again. Let out the second time, snow arrived.. back in again. Didnt do any long term damage thankfully but it's a pain at the same time. I'd avoid cutting (grazing) reseeds for silage if possible though, done that a few years back and it took a long time to come right after. Just my opinion though.

Had the same thing with a reseed myself last spring - let them out, heavy rain came, back in again. Let out the second time, snow arrived.. back in again. Didnt do any long term damage thankfully but it's a pain at the same time. I'd avoid cutting (grazing) reseeds for silage if possible though, done that a few years back and it took a long time to come right after. Just my opinion though.
Yea, I spent enough money sowing it I'll hold off until it comes right.

I can reseed the current silage ground this autumn and cut this year's reseed in its place next year.

The iPhones random daily photos memories 🫣

How it started on the 8th of Jan, I’m not going to put up a picture of how it’s going🤦‍♂️. 2 monster showers undid the benefits of the last 2 dry days

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpeg
    IMG_2363.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 65
Thinking of getting in a zero grazer to try get us through paddocks. Going to be mowing paddocks for bales when the thing picks up and our 2nd round now is going to be a complete mess. Expensive crack I know but covers are getting strong and cows will damage ground and walk half the covers into the ground

Thinking of getting in a zero grazer to try get us through paddocks. Going to be mowing paddocks for bales when the thing picks up and our 2nd round now is going to be a complete mess. Expensive crack I know but covers are getting strong and cows will damage ground and walk half the covers into the ground
Can you educate me on the zero grazer option? I don't have one and don't have a contractor with one either. Obviously utilisation will be slightly better but will it be that much? If ground is fit for a zero grazer and tractor fully laden with what is presumably fairly wet grass then I'd have thought it was fit for cows to graze it?

Can you educate me on the zero grazer option? I don't have one and don't have a contractor with one either. Obviously utilisation will be slightly better but will it be that much? If ground is fit for a zero grazer and tractor fully laden with what is presumably fairly wet grass then I'd have thought it was fit for cows to graze it?
Cut the grass and bring it into the cows. Covers are getting strong now and if I restrict area to get cows to eat they will poach. If I increase the area I leave alot of grass behind me. Add to that trying to find dry ground is getting scrace now. Plus am looking at silage stock which is getting tight if things stay going like they are.

Cut the grass and bring it into the cows. Covers are getting strong now and if I restrict area to get cows to eat they will poach. If I increase the area I leave alot of grass behind me. Add to that trying to find dry ground is getting scrace now. Plus am looking at silage stock which is getting tight if things stay going like they are.
That's what I mean though. How can a tractor and zero grazer do less damage than the cows? It might visually look cleaner afterwards but you'd have to guess there will be more long term compaction from the machine. Maybe I'm completely wrong. The Grass Technology guy on facebook is obviously very good at promoting his machines but from what i see of them around here locally I am not at all convinced other than on fragmented farms for obvious reasons. He actually said himself on his most recent video that if he had more land around the yard he wouldn't be zero grazing much himself. I thought it was telling.

If your having mastitis trouble try let them out. They will be taking pressure of slurry storage too.
If I could get them out they would be. I ain't one for having them in a shed. I am very conscious of marking ground. Happened me before and the paddock was pretty much useless until we hit June. And if we hit into a drought am back to square one again

If I could get them out they would be. I ain't one for having them in a shed. I am very conscious of marking ground. Happened me before and the paddock was pretty much useless until we hit June. And if we hit into a drought am back to square one again

Try splitting the cows up into different paddocks. Like say if there was 6 lots. 3 in the far paddock and the other 3 in the next paddock. That’s what I’m doing here takes pressure off yhe morinhb not having to lime the beds

I hired a zero grazing contractor in about 10yrs ago, maybe longer, one autumn and again one spring when he also supplied the grass. I couldn't see the benefits. I didn't see the jump in thrive like is talked about. I suspect its the same as silage ground, unless its delicate zero grazing ground you won't see the benefits. if your bring in grass around recent dung paths etc, it will seriously drop performance. the time to harvest surplus grass is in the summer:whistle:. and similarly I suspect in the middle of summer is when you get the greatest performance from a zero grazer, if you like work

I’m getting them out by day the last few days. Few hours here and there. The tank has jumped 650ltrs in one collection. I won’t even mention the protein. We have left some money behind these last few weeks

Back