The grazing season

I've used both cut and weigh and plate meter methods and to be honest i don't use any now. I graze at 8 - 10 cm this is the 3 leaf stage which is ideal. There are plenty other jobs to be done besides a half day measuring grass
What are you stocked at? Would get through ground far too quickly grazing at covers that low here.

Borrowed this off a friend the weekend.... according to it I have 18 days grass in front of the heifers, regrowth is very slow.

Attachments

• 20210501_171843.jpg
    20210501_171843.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210501_171737.jpg
    20210501_171737.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 130
I'm not over stocked, it takes the pressure off and i use a fence in paddocks to make sure a good clean out.
Each to their own, All I know Is there's no way we'd be able to keep grass Infront of the cows if grazed at that low a covers.
Strip wires have been temporarily retired as ground conditions and clean outs have been excellent.

Each to their own, All I know Is there's no way we'd be able to keep grass Infront of the cows if grazed at that low a covers.
Strip wires have been temporarily retired as ground conditions and clean outs have been excellent.
Ah sure there are alot of variables between ground. I'd guess them covers are between 1200 - 1600 kg/dm.

IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg

A glorious evening out but it's not ideal for grass growth. I had planned on letting some of the lighter covers bulk up but they're going to seed due to drought stress so taking them out while the quality is still there. Cows are milking well and they don't need huge allocations each day due to high grass DM. All will be well as long as we receive decent rain over the weekend.

Grazing second cut here at the moment,cut six weeks but barely a lick on it.
I haven’t had grass in front of cows since the start of the second round in April.

Attachments

• 0164890E-29AE-4637-BC71-8EEB821A8D5E.jpeg
    0164890E-29AE-4637-BC71-8EEB821A8D5E.jpeg
    516.5 KB · Views: 97
On after grass here during the day at the moment. Not huge covers but cows are grazing it down well. We are topping some paddock on the grazing ground after the cows that need it. Few of them have docks in them and want to try hit them next time round. Grass is only just about growing now. Not panicking or anything but very little surplus grass about. Cows are off the buffer feeding now this month or 6weeks now just getting a few nuts in the parlour.

Giving 3kgs/day 15% in the parlour just to keep them quiet, took out another 7acres yesterday so next grazing tomorrow will be after grass which was cut on the 6th of June ,I've around 250 bales made on the grazing platform just to try and keep the grass right in front of the cows , the joys of not been over stocked and having heavy land in a good dry spell

Giving 3kgs/day 15% in the parlour just to keep them quiet, took out another 7acres yesterday so next grazing tomorrow will be after grass which was cut on the 6th of June ,I've around 250 bales made on the grazing platform just to try and keep the grass right in front of the cows , the joys of not been over stocked and having heavy land in a good dry spell

On the other hand , I remember some of your pictures and comments from. Wet years . You would do your penance in the wet years .

On the other hand , I remember some of your pictures and comments from. Wet years . You would do your penance in the wet years .
Oh ya we get the best of both worlds here🤣 all we need in this weather is a dew at night and a good water trough by day

IMG_0281.jpg

Here we go again. Growth rates have dropped off savage in the last week as we go into drought once more. We built lots of grass during August but that'll start to disappear if we don't get rain shortly. Silage going back in tomorrow. With just 417mm of rain this year so far, there's very little moisture in the soil.

Back