the journal this week

Is there some article about 400 euro a hectare for rush control in the journal this week. Has anyone any more info on what it is about

What ever happened to dick Dangerfield that used to write in the journal? Used to love reading his bit every week as a chap.

Nearly a week old at this stage. I thought this was an honest article, anyone working with livestock will have experienced a bad run.
I know we're (myself included) often critical of articles/advice In the Journal, but hat's off on this one.
View attachment 88991
Adam Woods is a straight talker. Aidan Brennan is too to be fair to him on the dairy side of things. Wouldn't have much interest in the sheep side of things but Darren Carty seems like a good man at his job too. Can't fault them on the livestock side of things of late.

Adam Woods is a straight talker. Aidan Brennan is too to be fair to him on the dairy side of things. Wouldn't have much interest in the sheep side of things but Darren Carty seems like a good man at his job too. Can't fault them on the livestock side of things of late.
He knows what's its like for lads on tougher ground with his own base in west cabhain .

i think the journal has improved this while back, all it needs is a dairy farmer that has a few problems now and then in comparison to the lads they have on where nothing ever goes tits up , its worth buying for potterton alone :clap:

The journal must be in glanbias pockets, the curtailment of milk supply that they are bringing in was only small news this week when it’s actually one of the biggest news stories on milk supply and the future of milk since the abolition of quotas.
All the headlines are about land prices which only impacts on those in the lucky position to be able to buy.

But hey ho, auctioneers pay huge fees for advertising every week!!

The journal must be in glanbias pockets, the curtailment of milk supply that they are bringing in was only small news this week when it’s actually one of the biggest news stories on milk supply and the future of milk since the abolition of quotas.
They most certainly are not in Glanbia's pockets after their experience in Greenfield. The Glanbia thing has been well flagged over the last while and is more to do with Glanbia failing to get go ahead on the new extension to the plant in Belview than anything else. Glanbia, for all their flaws, are not at fault for An Bord Pleanala and co. refusing them that permission. If that was granted on time, then this wouldn't have happened.

They most certainly are not in Glanbia's pockets after their experience in Greenfield. The Glanbia thing has been well flagged over the last while and is more to do with Glanbia failing to get go ahead on the new extension to the plant in Belview than anything else. Glanbia, for all their flaws, are not at fault for An Bord Pleanala and co. refusing them that permission. If that was granted on time, then this wouldn't have happened.
Looks like I hit a nerve with you. There are just so many wrongs in all this, I’m not overly affected by this but many suppliers are very cross over it as financially it will cause a lot of pain with a certain %.
when was the new cheese plant supposed to be functioning by anyway?
did all the forward milk forecasting that suppliers did make any difference? Did top level management not see this coming with a long time?
As a supplier I’ve never heard of nor have never received any correspondence to say that there may be an issue down the line with processing.
They allowed new entrants start up this year and led them blind into it.

Is it not more of a case of the advice been got over the last few years with spring milk been cheaper to produce, obviously , and expanding herds but what do we do when plants cant handle peak supply but end up for the other 6 months with plants not been efficiently worked or some closed for a period.
It's no different than a contractor expected to lift all the grass in the 3rd week of may no matter how big or much machinery they have.
Lots of these so called experts giving advice have never got their hands dirty unless they hadn't enough toilet paper..
The plants need a steady consistent flow to be economically efficient

Looks like I hit a nerve with you. There are just so many wrongs in all this, I’m not overly affected by this but many suppliers are very cross over it as financially it will cause a lot of pain with a certain %.
did all the forward milk forecasting that suppliers did make any difference? Did top level management not see this coming with a long time?
As a supplier I’ve never heard of nor have never received any correspondence to say that there may be an issue down the line with processing.
Not at all, no nerve hit with me at all. To be honest, if I was you or any other Glanbia supplier I would be absolutely bulling with those who objected to the planning permission and caused all this mess more so than the company themselves for once. They pay a shite milk price and they can be given out to for that, but in this instance, they had their ducks in a row and had planning, designs, the whole lot sorted but they have been refused permission to build due to an objection from An Taisce I believe originally. The plant should have been up and running by the end of the year at the very latest even after the original rejection and that would have catered for the milk. That won't happen now, and if I was a betting man, I would say it won't be up and running until 2023 if it gets the green light at all. They did issue a press release when they were refused planning permission stating that they had a problem coming down the tracks if they didn't get the green light.

They are two years behind on the building of the cheese plant cos of the farce of a planning process that's in this country. Yes they did, the milk census clearly showed a increase coming hence why they went with a JV for the new cheese plant.

Lads I am on the Glanbia council. Could I ask lads not to go into the hole situation in to much detail at present as it can add/influence future decisions. Just bare with it for the next two months and hopefully we will have a decision then

Lads I am on the Glanbia council. Could I ask lads not to go into the hole situation in to much detail at present as it can add/influence future decisions. Just bare with it for the next two months and hopefully we will have a decision then
You will just have to remove yourself for this topic, as to regulate the chat just because of your position, isnt going to happen.

You may have your mind made up on this, but surely it's important to keep an open mind and listen to other peoples views.

Last edited:
If you’re on the council then I hope you’re making plenty of noise and not another pet. Have you been talking to many suppliers in the past few days? With respect, get real! Asking lads to stay quiet!

Back