the journal this week

Jesus lads some of ye should actually listen to yer selves. Should the whole country live in squalor and milk 20 cows in a bucket plant and have 4 ducks, 3 hens and a pet lamb at the fire. You’d swear any fella with any bit of ambition and drive and gets on in this world pays absolutely no one by the way ye talk .
No. Well I dont think so anyway. I think what's trying to be said here is a lad shouldn't have to work in fear knowing that as soon as they make a mistake or fall into hard times some big lad with more than enough will come in and buy all from under ya.

No. Well I dont think so anyway. I think what's trying to be said here is a lad shouldn't have to work in fear knowing that as soon as they make a mistake or fall into hard times some big lad with more than enough will come in and buy all from under ya.
The way things are going here, I'm not sure they know themselves what they're trying to say.

You said that, no one else did.

You said that, no one else did.
Well it's true enough. All the land in our parish is nearly owned by 2 people and you'd be terrified to mention anything to do with land around them. Sure I remember talking to one about a nice trio of fields across the road we'd be looking at buying, no more than 30 acres in total and your man lit on me saying no no he had his eye on them and how he was buying them and we'd never be able to afford them and him with more than 2000 acres.

Jesus lads some of ye should actually listen to yer selves. Should the whole country live in squalor and milk 20 cows in a bucket plant and have 4 ducks, 3 hens and a pet lamb at the fire. You’d swear any fella with any bit of ambition and drive and gets on in this world pays absolutely no one by the way ye talk .

Four ducks is taking the piss , wouldn't two do ya

You forgot to mention having the wife at home making bread

Jeanie the front page of the journal's looking gloomy this week. Talk of culling the national suckler herd by 536 000 cattle by 2030. Not quite what I had in mind yesterday at all on about big farmers. This Eamon Ryan lad is tearing appart this countries industries bit by bit, he'll not be happy till he puts us back to the stone age. First the bogs now this.:undecided:

Jeanie the front page of the journal's looking gloomy this week. Talk of culling the national suckler herd by 536 000 cattle by 2030. Not quite what I had in mind yesterday at all on about big farmers. This Eamon Ryan lad is tearing appart this countries industries bit by bit, he'll not be happy till he puts us back to the stone age. First the bogs now this.:undecided:
It's unpopular for me to say it, but the only future for suckler farmers in this country is a much reduced suckler herd. Not long ago I was dead set against forestry, rewetting of bogland and other schemes that will occupy farmland. Right now I'd like to schemes like these be made more attractive for farmers that are just hanging on and keeping cattle for the sake of drawing down the farm payments. I don't think it will take too much encouragement for suckler farmers to get out either - the vast majority of them are over 65 and have no successor. Most of the younger farmers in Ireland have gone into Dairy. When I see how much things have changed around us at home in the last 20 years, it's not hard to recognise that 20 years more of change in the same direction will leave the landscape and the people who own/farm it unrecognisable.

It's unpopular for me to say it, but the only future for suckler farmers in this country is a much reduced suckler herd. Not long ago I was dead set against forestry, rewetting of bogland and other schemes that will occupy farmland. Right now I'd like to schemes like these be made more attractive for farmers that are just hanging on and keeping cattle for the sake of drawing down the farm payments. I don't think it will take too much encouragement for suckler farmers to get out either - the vast majority of them are over 65 and have no successor. Most of the younger farmers in Ireland have gone into Dairy. When I see how much things have changed around us at home in the last 20 years, it's not hard to recognise that 20 years more of change in the same direction will leave the landscape and the people who own/farm it unrecognisable.
I think that's fair enough. The truth can't be denied in what you're saying. There s no chance of small scale suckler farming being able to sustain itself anymore. Even in the last 10 years I could name 10 people who've went from having the few cattle and doing their own bit of tillage in the side to completley switching to cattle as the tillage side of things couldn't pay for itself and now the cattle are failing to pay. The only thing that they get any profit from as you mentioned is the payments or they have to take on a second job, other than that they d be making nothing. It's sad to think too that the older men now at suckler farming will likely be the last of their kind and with them goes a vast source of Knowledge on cattle and small scale farming which will no longer be relevant, everything will go large scale. It's depressing to think about it. That's why I'm fuming about Covid, there's so many ould lads around here who have passed away from the Covid after getting it going in to hospital for simple things. At least they won't have to see what's happening now. It's a vast wealth of knowledge not only on farming but the local area even which has just been lost with them forever.

I think that's fair enough. The truth can't be denied in what you're saying. There s no chance of small scale suckler farming being able to sustain itself anymore. Even in the last 10 years I could name 10 people who've went from having the few cattle and doing their own bit of tillage in the side to completley switching to cattle as the tillage side of things couldn't pay for itself and now the cattle are failing to pay. The only thing that they get any profit from as you mentioned is the payments or they have to take on a second job, other than that they d be making nothing. It's sad to think too that the older men now at suckler farming will likely be the last of their kind and with them goes a vast source of Knowledge on cattle and small scale farming which will no longer be relevant, everything will go large scale. It's depressing to think about it. That's why I'm fuming about Covid, there's so many ould lads around here who have passed away from the Covid after getting it going in to hospital for simple things. At least they won't have to see what's happening now. It's a vast wealth of knowledge not only on farming but the local area even which has just been lost with them forever.
Well from an environment point of view it is not the older suckler farmers that are doing all the damage around me it's the young 'progressive' dairy farmers so I'm not sure this change will help Eamons goals on water quality etc.

Back