the journal this week

Ozzy Scott

Historically this wouldn't be a big dairy area but nitrate levels have been high in groundwater for years due to the lighter nature of our soils. If we got zero rainfall in November and ground was dry as a bone it would still be madness to spread slurry because in the absence of growth, a couple of wet weeks in December or January will wash the nitrate through the soil profile and into the groundwater. Just because the tanker can travel doesn't mean it makes sense to spread. Around here, spreading in late January or early February is more sensible than in October as there is a greater chance of imminent growth to take up the nitrogen.
what % of your grass growth would be after the 15th of sept the new proposed cut off date to say the 15th of Nov? what percentage of growth is between the 15th of Jan and 15th of March, give or take

Bog Man

My thinking is that whatever you have spent on buildings in the last ten years you will have to spend as much or more in future years just to stay legal and possibly milking less cows .
I think the last fifty years of farmers making toxic anaerobic slurry are over . There are two problems cow belches and slurry.
There are numerous solutions. Treating the slurry. Separating the slurry. Or the buy Bog Man a bigger yacht solution of straw bedding.
The belches can probably be treated by industrial feed additives and we know who makes money from that .

Barrowsider

what % of your grass growth would be after the 15th of sept the new proposed cut off date to say the 15th of Nov? what percentage of growth is between the 15th of Jan and 15th of March, give or take
I don't measure grass (I know I should) so I can't say. I'd expect growths to be very variable, particularly in spring. Stretch it out to 3 months though and you can be sure that growth from Jan 15th to April 15th far exceeds growth from September 15th to December 15th.

ponderosa

i can see more controlled and limited use of chemical Fert and sprays as a viable way forward. making sure slurry doesn't get to rivers will have to be improved on.

But any cent spent on cows belches i see as a total waste of time and just a distraction from the real air polluters

gone

My thinking is that whatever you have spent on buildings in the last ten years you will have to spend as much or more in future years just to stay legal and possibly milking less cows .
I think the last fifty years of farmers making toxic anaerobic slurry are over . There are two problems cow belches and slurry.
There are numerous solutions. Treating the slurry. Separating the slurry. Or the buy Bog Man a bigger yacht solution of straw bedding.
The belches can probably be treated by industrial feed additives and we know who makes money from that .
If it is Global Warming that we are trying to sort out then we could actually try to tackle the issues causing Global Warming, our over use of hydrocarbons.
But I do agree with you on the slurry and the intensification of farming, and if they actually want to deal with that, they need to start to promote mixed farming and family farms.

13spanner

Its Mary and paddy cutting turf is the real problem in climate change.

China has 1082 coal burning power plants. Next nearest is India with 281.

Last edited:

jay gatsby

25% of global co2 emissions comes from coal burning.
the top 100 emission producing firms in the world account for 70% of emissions.
i hope they will reduce their share.
The only way they will really reduce their emissions is if you and I reduce our consumption of the goods and services they produce im afraid. Big business is only big cos of the little guy down at the end of the chain

drew

Ireland worrying about emissions is like having a non pissing swimming corner in a swimming pool.
Love to see eamon Ryan out in Tokyo on his push bike, telling them about global warming. They'd cook the fecker
can we start a go fund me to get the f**ker sent over there and try get him infront of the right ppl to do it 😂😂

Deerehunter

@bruceythom , i read your interview this week and you mentioned about using eucalyptis for flies. Is it the oil you used? Did you do it like a pour-on or spray? Ive heard of it being used as a fly repellent before. I think the use tea tree oil in some things for headlice. How did you find it.

bruceythom

@bruceythom , i read your interview this week and you mentioned about using eucalyptis for flies. Is it the oil you used? Did you do it like a pour-on or spray? Ive heard of it being used as a fly repellent before. I think the use tea tree oil in some things for headlice. How did you find it.

Hi Deerhunter,

Yes, we use Eucalyptus oil on the heifers and cows. We mix it with polysorbate and either pour it on the heifers backs or add it to teat spray.

Deerehunter

Hi Deerhunter,

Yes, we use Eucalyptus oil on the heifers and cows. We mix it with polysorbate and either pour it on the heifers backs or add it to teat spray.
How often would you use it with pour on? The teat spray i use has it in it but flies can still be a problem in thundery weather. Use spot on here once a month in summer. Long go my old lad used to use barricade, spray it on with a knapsack. Flies would stay well away from cows for a while then. Its off the market over 20 years now.

bruceythom

How often would you use it with pour on? The teat spray i use has it in it but flies can still be a problem in thundery weather. Use spot on here once a month in summer. Long go my old lad used to use barricade, spray it on with a knapsack. Flies would stay well away from cows for a while then. Its off the market over 20 years now.
Again, depends on conditions. We would only use the oil when conditions are favourable to flies, which is a surprisingly short period. The rain depletes it so you might only get a week or two out of it. The stockholm tar is by far the best product for controlling summer time mastitis. Barricade contains cypermethrin which would be a really efficient insecticide.....but I wouldn't use it!!