The older masseys

Don’t think I’d bother with the 188, it’s closer to being a donor than a do upper.

It seems to have donered a fair few bits already . No heater plug on manifold , so water could have gone down the bores . Tinwork well shagged . Non desireable Multi Power . has it run in this century ?

Yes @gone , the 188 was a savage gutsy tractor in their day , but that particulat 188 is an ambitious proposition .

Don’t think I’d bother with the 188, it’s closer to being a donor than a do upper.
It's already been a doner but there's a shed full of parts and an engine for it in the same yard it's in. Would be a shame to scrap it with such a well know history. One owner from new and all the paper work, documents, workbooks and sales books that came with it new in 74. Its a sin it was dumped in such a state. Think the head gasket or hydraulic pump went in it and it was dumped there.

It seems to have donered a fair few bits already . No heater plug on manifold , so water could have gone down the bores . Tinwork well shagged . Non desireable Multi Power . has it run in this century ?

Yes @gone , the 188 was a savage gutsy tractor in their day , but that particulat 188 is an ambitious proposition .
To be left like that is must have had a major failure. All fuel filters and pipes missing and heater port left open, front axle just left on the ground. The owner wasn’t expecting it to run again.

It's already been a doner but there's a shed full of parts and an engine for it in the same yard it's in. Would be a shame to scrap it with such a well know history. One owner from new and all the paper work, documents, workbooks and sales books that came with it new in 74. Its a sin it was dumped in such a state. Think the head gasket or hydraulic pump went in it and it was dumped there.
But you’d want to have no value on your time, it would be a very time hungry project.

I have a soft spot for 188s, it would be the only one I would bother doing, but that is just nostalgia.
They were a savage yoke to plough with, in their day.
That 188 would have done a serious amount of that, its owned by spudmen and was a front line tractor up until the late 70s/early 80s when it was put on livestock duties after being replaced with a fleet of sames. Big lump of a ridger behind it, it used to pull back in the day.

it was last ran around 2007 I think, maybe 2010.

To be left like that is must have had a major failure. All fuel filters and pipes missing and heater port left open, front axle just left on the ground. The owner wasn’t expecting it to run again.
I'm telling you they just dumped it there after something simple went on it. There's a same 90 explorer right behind it which is the same story, something minor went on it and it was left to rot, I'm seeing the very same thing happening at the minute with the anatres after some wires under the cab burnt up. The 190 almost ended up like that too. It's a busy enough yard it's sitting in, the yard with the dryer shed so lads coming in and out over the years ended up robbing parts off it.

oh now. I'm midway through a similar job at the minute with another lad. just getting held up on the block. It's like a map of Ireland. The 1135 was in a similar situation till I got my hands on it. Nothing a bit of determination can't fix.Snapchat-1070337338.jpg

An early 990 with a cracked block?
yep. On its 3rd owner. Was ordered for council work with a back actor, loader and victor cab. Your man sold all that off it but has the bonnet and all that. The pump was missing when it was pulled from the ditch it was resting in along with its dynamo but luckily enough its current owner had a pump for one before he bought it and he must have at least 100 starters and dynamos under his workbench. Have to see with John Conaty about a block for it. Also have to find a block for a fe35 copper belly

I have the change the exhaust manifold gasket on one of these, whats the probability of the nuts twisting off easily, or will i probably break studs

Last edited:
Is she missing a bit on one cylinder?
she was. The regulator valve had been reassembled completely wrong the diesel shop it was last sent to which was supposed to completely strip the pump and rebuild it aswell as test it, instead they just tested it and charged yourman around 300 euro for it. They simply fired plungers, springs and all down at the bottom of the end plate under the sleeve, a total disgrace. I took it apart and re assembled it myself correctly and now she's running like a clock.View attachment Snapchat-1196665453.mp4

Is she missing a bit on one cylinder?

A man between myself and @diesel power had an 1135 spreading lime and cutting silage in the mid 80s . After that tractor , he had a Perkins 6354 powered Muirhill 121 . He reckoned that one of the timing gears wore slightly in all those 6354s , as I remarked to him once , "Is that engine missing ?" . He reckoned that it made little difference to the power , but I'm sure that was an inexact measurement

A man between myself and @diesel power had an 1135 spreading lime and cutting silage in the mid 80s . After that tractor , he had a Perkins 6354 powered Muirhill 121 . He reckoned that one of the timing gears wore slightly in all those 6354s , as I remarked to him once , "Is that engine missing ?" . He reckoned that it made little difference to the power , but I'm sure that was an inexact measurement
Heard that. A friend of mine, Teddy Halpin who would have done alot of work on engines in his time, 2640s and muir hills on bogs aswell for a good while too reckoned that there was a brass timing gear that drove the pump that used to wear so we took the pump and front plate off and tested the whole lot for play and there wasn't a bit of play in it. Little did we know the disaster that was going on inside the pump.

He would have done a lot of work on engines in Midland garages Navan from the mid 1960s till the mid to late 70s when he went out on his own. A real old timer, started off as an apprentice rebuilding and repairing starters and dynamos up until 68/69 when the alternators came in so he was moved over to repairing and testing injectors and injector pumps which he done for 4 years I believe until he was put on crankshaft grinding duties which he carried out for 2 years all while doing his own bits of business on the side. He's a very well known man up around Meath. One of the last of a generation. Used to be famous for the massive jobs he could carry out on his own in bogs and confined spaces, his most famous one would be taking the engine out of a bulldozer and reinstalling it all on the bog.

Back