The older masseys

The loader you are talking about was bolted up to the bell housing , and back to the back axle at each side . Looking in from the side the framework looked like a flat A . The hinge point for the loader Arms would have been 6 " lower than an MF 40 loader , and possibly 8 or 9 inches forward of the front of the back tyres. Hence you had to climb over the bracket part to get on the tractor.
They were grey , so were Ferguson , and before MF .
I have no idea of model number . 732 ? What machine was that ? Finger bar mower ?
732 was a finger bar mower anyway, there's one at home. The loader I'm talking about was definitely red and definitely MF as it still had the original stickers on it in the 80's and was fitted to the tractor from new.

The loader you are talking about was bolted up to the bell housing , and back to the back axle at each side . Looking in from the side the framework looked like a flat A . The hinge point for the loader Arms would have been 6 " lower than an MF 40 loader , and possibly 8 or 9 inches forward of the front of the back tyres. Hence you had to climb over the bracket part to get on the tractor.
They were grey , so were Ferguson , and before MF .
I have no idea of model number . 732 ? What machine was that ? Finger bar mower ?
That was the type I was thinking of, only ever saw them in grey, Mil loaders were common back then, front or rear mounted.

That was the type I was thinking of, only ever saw them in grey, Mil loaders were common back then, front or rear mounted.
I very nearly bought an MF 65 fitted with that low slung loader around 1984 or 5 . I bought a 203 engined 165 afterwards That type of loader was fairly common until the AbAlo Quicke round bar loader , then Quicke Plus , followed by the very popular 2000 took over .
The Mil Master loader off that old 165 is somewhere in the undergrowth here still. I only ever saw one Mil Mastiff rear loader . Tanco Jackeroo were very common around here , an odd Parmiter . These were all trip type loaders

Went to inspect a 1979 massey ferguson 188 that a friend's after buying. Tidy enough. Have one question about it, it has a smyth tachometer in it instead of an ac. Did the later 100 series post 1976 come with a smyth clock instead of the ac or is it retrofitted?

Went to inspect a 1979 massey ferguson 188 that a friend's after buying. Tidy enough. Have one question about it, it has a smyth tachometer in it instead of an ac. Did the later 100 series post 1976 come with a smyth clock instead of the ac or is it retrofitted?
I'd be fairly sure the last of the 188's was 76/77 and a Smyth rev counter would be the original.

They didn't make 168's until '79, as I said I'd be fairly sure production ended in '76 and there were new tractors available into '77 but that was it.
There are bigger Massey experts than me @gone, @kverneland es 80 , @SMID etc
They deffenitely did. Me uncle has a 168 which has a 79 serial number. Has a lambourn cab the same as the 188 and that 240 I done up. Was bought brand new in 1979 by his father.

They deffenitely did. Me uncle has a 168 which has a 79 serial number. Has a lambourn cab the same as the 188 and that 240 I done up. Was bought brand new in 1979 by his father.
Apologies, you're right, '79 was the last of them but only just. There were 70 168's built in '79 and 27 188's.

An uncle of mine had a 1978 168 with a Duncan cab , and a man who had land beside my uncle , and died about 2 months ago had a 1979 168 with the Lambourn cab , such as MeathMassey3 is on about .

An uncle of mine had a 1978 168 with a Duncan cab , and a man who had land beside my uncle , and died about 2 months ago had a 1979 168 with the Lambourn cab , such as MeathMassey3 is on about .
I dug out the book with the serial numbers, all the 100 series were built in very small numbers in '79, I don't think I ever saw one with a factory fitted Lambourn cab

I dug out the book with the serial numbers, all the 100 series were built in very small numbers in '79, I don't think I ever saw one with a factory fitted Lambourn cab
A lot of rare machines seemed to end up in the North meath region it seems. Youve a knack for turning up good ones @MeathMassey3
You seem to be thoroughly interested in this job. I genuinely think there is a business model in it if a lad was to get going at it

Screenshot_20201105-230235.png
There's me uncle's one. Used the doors and windows for reference when making new parts for the 240. It's in line for a restoration too. Still put to work everyday feeding cattle.

A lot of rare machines seemed to end up in the North meath region it seems. Youve a knack for turning up good ones @MeathMassey3
You seem to be thoroughly interested in this job. I genuinely think there is a business model in it if a lad was to get going at it
I hope to. Maybe go off and become a certified mechanic and set up a buissness buying and selling scarce yolks and doing up the odd yolk too, that would be the end goal at least. Oh the amount of times I've been left gobsmacked, with cases like that 1135, lads having yolks they don't realise to be scarce, there's 2 fordson f's in the friends yard and to him they're just 2 old piles of scrap. Would love to buy all that kind of stuff and if needs be do it up, and do it up right and my way and sell them on to someone else with as much as an interest in me self. I like being able to preserve these old machines and put a bit of life back into them.

Our 168 is 77-78 with a Duncan nxt door bought a 188 6mts after and it came with a lambourn. A small boy was very upset at the time .but most of the lambourn cabs rotted and the Duncan's didn't. One of my brothers had a 1979 reg 188 x clonakilty ag college with a Duncan cab .there must have been a few floating around unregistered at the time for a bit

Our 168 is 77-78 with a Duncan nxt door bought a 188 6mts after and it came with a lambourn. A small boy was very upset at the time .but most of the lambourn cabs rotted and the Duncan's didn't. One of my brothers had a 1979 reg 188 x clonakilty ag college with a Duncan cab .there must have been a few floating around unregistered at the time for a bit
Looked up the serial number of the uncle's one yesterday while inspecting the cab for parts to copy such as doors, back window frame and a roof for that 188 I mentioned earlier. It's the 25th from the last one made, the cab and tractor itself is in reasonable condition considering it has worked everyday of the year since it was bought new in 79. He still has the roof and all the bits missing. Just has them hidden in a shed to keep them safe.
20210523_144757.jpg20210523_144812.jpg

Back