The older masseys

Is it French/Continental?
PUH ?? Exhaust ? And as the late Richard Moynan used to say , someone has been at the drop Arms with "John Welder " and 29/9s. Also , no toolboxes in the mudguards .
i,ve only ever seen those weighted front wheels on 178s, did they come on 188s in this country ?

Never did front ones , the principal will be the same as rear ones first move the stops to the desired track width next slacken the nuts EVENLY ! around the cast centre 3 to 4 turns ,let the clutch up sharply with the tractor in gear in the direction you want the hub spin on the rim , with back ones you would brake the opposite side wheel . Once the centre has moved to contact the stops in their new position fit the other stops behind lugs on the rails .Tighten the clamp nuts diagonally in 3 stages 70Nm ,drive the tractor slowly back and forward 3 or 4 wheel revolutions' then same again at 140Nm and finally at 260 Nm .

Never did front ones , the principal will be the same as rear ones first move the stops to the desired track width next slacken the nuts EVENLY ! around the cast centre 3 to 4 turns ,let the clutch up sharply with the tractor in gear in the direction you want the hub spin on the rim , with back ones you would brake the opposite side wheel . Once the centre has moved to contact the stops in their new position fit the other stops behind lugs on the rails .Tighten the clamp nuts diagonally in 3 stages 70Nm ,drive the tractor slowly back and forward 3 or 4 wheel revolutions' then same again at 140Nm and finally at 260 Nm .
Thanks it took a few attempts to get the clamps even but I got there eventually.

What would you think the labour to fit this be, in a independent garage.something I'm considering myself for the 168, "neither of us are getting any younger or easier" (me & her that is.) Some tractor all the same.
That could be a few hours to a very long day depending on hard it is to remove the main pin and what other wear etc is on the steering.

What would you think the labour to fit this be, in a independent garage.something I'm considering myself for the 168, "neither of us are getting any younger or easier" (me & her that is.) Some tractor all the same.
id say They d want 4 or 500 to do the job. All depends on how long it takes them to do it and if they find any other gremlins in the tractors steering. It's not really a major job in itself. Most difficulty would be the main pins on the front.

@jf 850
I believe that this would be as close to a genuine mf165 as they come. I'm told it was bought new in 1974 and registered in 1976. Original rear tyres. 874 hours. The tightest tractor i have ever driven. No steering play. No wear in clutch or linkages. Never saw a night outdoors until its owner died 2 years ago.

It rests in my yard. It is in dispute between 2 people following a will. Each has to have access to it and it can't be locked in a shed. I try to keep it under the canopy of mine because every day out in the rain it is losing value. Rain rots those flexi cabs.

IMG_20211201_110527.jpgIMG_20211201_110503.jpgIMG_20211201_110512.jpgIMG_20211201_110454.jpg

@jf 850
I believe that this would be as close to a genuine mf165 as they come. I'm told it was bought new in 1974 and registered in 1976. Original rear tyres. 874 hours. The tightest tractor i have ever driven. No steering play. No wear in clutch or linkages. Never saw a night outdoors until its owner died 2 years ago.

It rests in my yard. It is in dispute between 2 people following a will. Each has to have access to it and it can't be locked in a shed. I try to keep it under the canopy of mine because every day out in the rain it is losing value. Rain rots those flexi cabs.

View attachment 100347View attachment 100348View attachment 100349View attachment 100350
It was a good farmer in his day that was able to buy one.

Back