The reseeding thread

Laying down a few fields for a neighbour in the next few weeks. Looking at varieties on his behalf. Any opinions on varieties? Mixes vs straights? Diploid vs Tetraploids? Include clover or not?
Abergain, aberchoice, astonenergy and oakpark. And clover as your buddy prob is putting it in after tillage so no docks or nettles or thistles etc so either a handy chem or a topper will sort it.

Grass sown on 31 of August coming on nicely, probably could be grazed in the next few weeks if growth keeps up.
20190930_085725.jpg

Hopefully you will get some decent weather to clip it off with stock before a harsh winter comes along. Did you sow it with the Bogballe after?
No, got it sowed with an air seeder mounted on a Heva disc/press combo. Impressive machine. Might have to borrow sheep to trim it down, I'd be afraid the cattle would have a disco on it.

I am ready to reseed a newly purchased field. Field hasn’t been reseeded or limed in 30yrs. One half of the field keeps growing rushes and the other half is perfect. I want to burn the whole lot off. I topped the field two weeks ago and grazed it with cattle this past two days. Rushes or a nice height for spraying.

What would you do know. Spray mcpa and wait a week before burning off or can it be mixed in one fill etc? What’s the difference between gallop/clinic ace and roundup? Local merchant only does clinic ace but I would go elsewhere for a better product. Thanks

I am ready to reseed a newly purchased field. Field hasn’t been reseeded or limed in 30yrs. One half of the field keeps growing rushes and the other half is perfect. I want to burn the whole lot off. I topped the field two weeks ago and grazed it with cattle this past two days. Rushes or a nice height for spraying.

What would you do know. Spray mcpa and wait a week before burning off or can it be mixed in one fill etc? What’s the difference between gallop/clinic ace and roundup? Local merchant only does clinic ace but I would go elsewhere for a better product. Thanks
Have you any dung? If so plaster the bottom of it where the rushes are they don't like p and k. Had a field here that would be prone to the odd rush got dung on it in the fall 2 years ago and not one to be seen now

Why spray MCPA? the gallup/roundup etc will kill off rushes and all

I was told mcpa is the only spray that gets to the root of the rush. Gallup etc only kills them but not root level so will grow back after the reseed.

what grass seed would you chose for a wet field?

We have a field that Dad describes as a nest of stones and rocks. He started to drain it 30 years ago but never managed a good length of pipe due to the boulders and rock just under the surface. And as such half of it is sopping wet in winter. Dries up nicely by late spring.
He never managed more than 10 yards from the ditch.
The ditch has been carved out from rock in bits too but before our time here. They must have been tough men because we are on blue granite which is insanely tough. One rock outcrop has been quarried at some point so I suppose they may have had blasting gear.
I was always warned to NEVER plough that field!

So. We plan to direct drill it.

Are there any particular grasses you'd go for over standard ryegrass/clover mixes?

what grass seed would you chose for a wet field?

We have a field that Dad describes as a nest of stones and rocks. He started to drain it 30 years ago but never managed a good length of pipe due to the boulders and rock just under the surface. And as such half of it is sopping wet in winter. Dries up nicely by late spring.
He never managed more than 10 yards from the ditch.
The ditch has been carved out from rock in bits too but before our time here. They must have been tough men because we are on blue granite which is insanely tough. One rock outcrop has been quarried at some point so I suppose they may have had blasting gear.
I was always warned to NEVER plough that field!

So. We plan to direct drill it.

Are there any particular grasses you'd go for over standard ryegrass/clover mixes?

As they say , Doctors differ , and Patients die.

If its as difficult as you say , I wouldnt bother trying to reseed it . Get its fertility up as high as you can .
Reseed a mowable field , or a field that in a location that suits you , next the yard or holding stock for some reason . One that you will get a decent return from .

Maybe everyone else disagrees with me .

A lot of the time it is not worth reseeding poorer land like this, but if it has to be done, use a high Timothy and Fescue mix.
Western seeds do one called Primus.

As they say , Doctors differ , and Patients die.

If its as difficult as you say , I wouldnt bother trying to reseed it . Get its fertility up as high as you can .
Reseed a mowable field , or a field that in a location that suits you , next the yard or holding stock for some reason . One that you will get a decent return from .

Maybe everyone else disagrees with me .
It's not poor ground by any means. Just wetter in winter than the rest.
Its near the yard and part of the sheep rotation. Indexes are bang on. We have treated it as any other field.
There are only 2 fields on the whole farm I havent seen re seeded, this is one of them! Most are on their second run in my memory.

I can spread fert on 50% of it in late March or earlier usually. So you can really see where the wet bits are now with native grasses going to head there. And lambs don't thrive as well on it.

Plus very few of the rocks will afect the direct drill, if I was a die hard plough man it wouldn't be considered! You'd mow 90% of the field without issue. Just carefull in bits.

Have a 5ac field that we are planning on reseeding after the 2nd cut. I also have a pile of dung close to the field. I was wondering would there be much benefit to the plant if the dung was spread and ploughed down? Would the plant be able to get down to it?

Have a 5ac field that we are planning on reseeding after the 2nd cut. I also have a pile of dung close to the field. I was wondering would there be much benefit to the plant if the dung was spread and ploughed down? Would the plant be able to get down to it?
its the way its usually done
horse the shyte on then dont plough too deep

grass will soon find it

Back