The reseeding thread

its the way its usually done
horse the shyte on then dont plough too deep

grass will soon find it
Something we never have done tbh. We normally throw the dung on the stubbles just when it happens to be close said try it instead. Still talking 7in plough debt?

This field has not been reseeded for over sixty years. The farmer is in his early seventies and remembers it being ploughed . There were no stones just a few roots and it was sprayed with Roundup ploughed rolled one passed and rolled .
I would have put in a crop of Winter Wheat but there is no talking sense to a livestock farmer.
0FB28B39-27BE-4EEC-B01F-3A86676251FC.jpeg
B01E8312-423D-45AE-A3D1-3CE826BF87A5.jpeg

This field has not been reseeded for over sixty years. The farmer is in his early seventies and remembers it being ploughed . There were no stones just a few roots and it was sprayed with Roundup ploughed rolled one passed and rolled .
I would have put in a crop of Winter Wheat but there is no talking sense to a livestock farmer.
View attachment 80327 View attachment 80328
Just a quick question whats the going rate for direct drilling grass thinking of doing some on a bit of rented ground after second cut either that or ill plough it for winter wheat and reseed in a few years just might be short on silage ground next year due to a bit we've rent going for sale

Just a quick question whats the going rate for direct drilling grass thinking of doing some on a bit of rented ground after second cut either that or ill plough it for winter wheat and reseed in a few years just might be short on silage ground next year due to a bit we've rent going for sale
Usually around €50 to €60 an acre

Waiting for some more cover to come then in with roundup. Digger next to tidy up around the ditches and clean drains. Needs to be fenced then and after that should get in with the plough. View attachment 80458
Would it make sense to fence afterwards? We find tilling away easier when you dont have to watch for poles and wire. And fence a couple days before grazing

Would it make sense to fence afterwards? We find tilling away easier when you dont have to watch for poles and wire. And fence a couple days before grazing
Ya will see. It's just the time of year that we might fence before ploughing. As it's a heavy ISH field I don't want to mark it again if you get me

Ya will see. It's just the time of year that we might fence before ploughing. As it's a heavy ISH field I don't want to mark it again if you get me
How is the Maxxum going? I like them as a tractor on a mixed farm but I am nervous if the gearbox, as I know one which gave grief.maybe it was a once off I don't know.

How is the Maxxum going? I like them as a tractor on a mixed farm but I am nervous if the gearbox, as I know one which gave grief.maybe it was a once off I don't know.
She's flying it. Really happy with her. No issues what's so ever. She has the standard 16x16 semi power shift gear box which has been around for years now

She's flying it. Really happy with her. No issues what's so ever. She has the standard 16x16 semi power shift gear box which has been around for years now
Yeah it was the 16 x 16 they had trouble with in a 8340 New Holland. They seemed to think it wasn't a heavy enough gearbox for what it was being asked to do. I know they are very common and there are thousands of them out there.

Yeah it was the 16 x 16 they had trouble with in a 8340 New Holland. They seemed to think it wasn't a heavy enough gearbox for what it was being asked to do. I know they are very common and there are thousands of them out there.
Those gear boxes have been about along time now doh haven't they? Touch wood so far there hasn't been a bother on our one her. Just over 600 hr on her now

A question, got a bit of ground I want to reseed, its got 2 weeks aftergrass after 2 silage cuts, should I graze it before burning off of burn off and graze which would let me reseed a few weeks sooner, bunch of march/april 2019 bullocks to graze it.

A question, got a bit of ground I want to reseed, its got 2 weeks aftergrass after 2 silage cuts, should I graze it before burning off of burn off and graze which would let me reseed a few weeks sooner, bunch of march/april 2019 bullocks to graze it.
Spray now then graze I think, I'm waiting for the next calm day to spray for my own bit on a similar timeline

Is there enough of a cover on it now to spray off? That field of mine took awhile for all the regrowth to establish, it was patchy as be damned. About ok now to go spray. Soon as I have the last it cleaned up and weather allows am going to spray it and plough it in

spray now and give it the 2 weeks to die properly then plough it

The longer it's sprayed the less scraw you will have

Back